Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    Mav            04-26-2014, 8:08 AM Reply   
I am wakeboarding behind a 1986 Baja sun sport with a 200 black max merc outboard. The pull is great out of the hole and I'm up in no time. The issue is wake size. It was a barefoot setup boat. Motor is all the way down on adjustment holes. Running a 19p prop at 5000 ft. Around 18mph is the best wake, but 20 is the best ride. At 20 I have prop wash surfacing in the center like a mofo and makes for a very chattery ride. A jack plate is not a very good option as it has a dual steering cable without much flex. Would a hydrofoil help any? How do I get my boat deeper in the water in the back Not running any ballast. If I trim up the prop just blows out. It's a long shafts 200. The transom on the boat is just built a little taller for barefooting as mentioned before.

Also I couldn't find a welcome section so.... Hello I'm Austin from Denver colorado.
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-26-2014, 10:01 AM Reply   
Man I don't think it would help. If it would, many of us would prob have not spent a bunch of money on v-drives
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-26-2014, 12:12 PM Reply   
I always wondered if running one of those Doelfin things upside down would work for an out drive or outboard. http://m.basspro.com/Doelfin-Hydrofo...product/27337/
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-26-2014, 3:16 PM Reply   
What length rope are you riding
Old    Mav            04-26-2014, 9:12 PM Reply   
That's what I was thinking with a hydrofoil. I think I'm sitting on a 75 ft rope shortened to around 60' but don't remember. Haven't been out this year. And trust me if I could afford a very drive I'd be all over it. I'm looking into a tige in a few years. Most likely used. I have heard tige is best bang for your buck maybe someone can touch on that.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-26-2014, 9:24 PM Reply   
If you're looking for a better wake/ski boat. Because it sounds like you barefoot as well, look at getting a 90s direct drive. They will have a better wake than your outboard does, a lot cleaner and be better for skiing and wakeboarding and you can surf them if you want. Most are made for skiing in the first place and have flatter wakes, but add some weight in them and you can get a really decent wakeboard wake.
A decent direct drive will run you under 10k and meet your needs on a budget.

As for your wake in your outboard. Head over to wakemakers.com and look at getting some sacks for your boat. More weight = More wake.
Old    Mav            04-26-2014, 10:36 PM Reply   
I don't barefoot, the original owners do. I might add that if I trim up the prop blows out and I can't throttle up high in turns or the prop blows out as well. I don't do much skiing. But surfing is a MUST. Next will be an inboard boat. Have to pay the diesel off first. Or trade my first born but at this point I'm kinda attached to my son....
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-27-2014, 7:52 AM Reply   
I would shorten your rope to 55' and add some ballast in the bow. Thats what we used to do on our old i/o. Wake was pretty decent.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-27-2014, 12:04 PM Reply   
You need to watch Byerly behind the flightcraft barefoot outboard. You don't need big wakes.
Look up the byerly video watch and learn big wakes are overrated.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-27-2014, 3:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftskir View Post
You need to watch Byerly behind the flightcraft barefoot outboard. You don't need big wakes.
Look up the byerly video watch and learn big wakes are overrated.
you dont need anything

If you want a better shaped wake get a ski boat. Old inboards can be found all over for decent prices. Its as if there are purpose built machines for your exact problem

Last edited by ilikebeaverandboats; 04-27-2014 at 3:35 PM.
Old    Mav            04-27-2014, 10:42 PM Reply   
I'll look into it. Maybe I can trade my boat for one.