Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (trinitywake)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-28-2008, 4:17 PM Reply   
How high off the ground do you you guys all recommend your hitch to be? My trailer seems pretty low in the back, and occasionaly scrapes. Anyone else deal with this? My rig is a 2001 gmc sierra 2500 lifted 6" with 35" tires. I have what they sell as a 10" drop, but once the ball is on it seems like 6 or 7? would a Bigger drop, or weight in pickup bed help? any suggestions?
Old     (sparks426)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-28-2008, 4:29 PM Reply   
The drop is measured from top of the hitch to top of where the ball mounts. So, if the ball mount was flat with the bottom of the tube, it would be a 2" drop.

I have an 04 2500hd, no lift, 32" tires. I use a 4" drop for my boat. You may need a 12" with the bigger tires. I believe my hitch (top of where the ball mounts) is between 16 and 18 inches off the ground. Boat trailers are a pain anyways with scraping.
Old     (trinitywake)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-28-2008, 4:37 PM Reply   
Right on. It's so hard to say. When i park it on flat ground it seems totally even and good. Maybe I just need to get used to the pain of scraping.
Anyone know on your trailer,approx how close the back bottom rail, below you rudder is to the ground. That is what seems to be scraping. The noise horrifies me.
Old    wakeboardmarktwain            08-29-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
General rule of thumb on trailers is to have the trailer level front to back when on level ground, and you need to adjust the hitch drop accordingly.
Old     (heem)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-29-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
The place where I purchased my hitch said that as a general rule of thumb the distance from the ground to your ball should be 18". He said at that height it puts the majority of trailers on a level plane.

I have know idea if he is full of BS but I use a 4" drop and that puts the ball at 18" above ground and my trailer is level.

Just work backwards from that height and get your drop.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-29-2008, 1:22 PM Reply   
18 inches is a common hitch height but it can vary a lot. For example, I installed a 1-1/2 lift on my trailer which now requires the hitch to be 1-1/2 higher. If you change wheel size the hitch height could change.

If you have a tandem axle trailer then you want the trailer to be level so that both axles are evenly loaded.

Rod
Old     (macrogpx2)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-30-2008, 1:12 AM Reply   
Six inches and 35s should be an 8 inch drop.
Old     (02redws6ta)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-30-2008, 5:58 AM Reply   
get a rapid hitch. They are expensive but worth it.
Old     (trinitywake)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-30-2008, 6:16 PM Reply   
Yeah i saw one of those rapid hitches today. Alright I finally got my hitch thing squared away, It is level and good to go. Like said earlier in the thread, trailers are a pain scraping wise. I never scrape on pavement unless some funky gas station curb, it's just i live off a gravel/dirt country road. So someone mentioned a "trailer lift", That would be cool. Anymore info on that would be sweet. Thanks everyone.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-30-2008, 7:22 PM Reply   
19 inches off the pavement