Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (BlitzedVLX)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-29-2011, 7:12 AM Reply   
My 08 vlx lacks the front ballast and as a hard time coming to plane with the rears center and wedge 1/4 of the way up. Would the addition of the acme 1235 be beneficial since I am not running an extreme amount of weight?
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-29-2011, 7:38 AM Reply   
I too have an 08 VLX. I didn't order the front tank because I like the front area for anchor and life jacket storage. I have some lead plates in the front as well as a couple of sandbags and my 20lb river anchor in the bow. The weight in the nose of the boat is about 500lb. It stays in at all times, which some people have a problem with, but it works fine for me. I have the "high altitude" prop which is the same pitch as the Acme 1235 - per several discussions I read in a Google search. I would purchase a 500lb sack to go up in the bow walkway area first to see if you can get it to plane out better. I find the VLX hull likes weight all the way around the hull, especially when running wedge in power mode. Here is my weight setup:
500lb sand/lead in bow
500lb MLS center tank
(2) 200lb MLS rear tanks
350lb (total) sand in rear lockers
Depending on crew, (1) 350lb Launch pad in walkway and (1) 350lb LP in front of rear seat.
60-80% power mode on Wedge
23.8 - 24.6mph at 75-80ft. rope length
Old     (BorderBoarder)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-29-2011, 7:51 AM Reply   
Quick answer is yes, but there are other variables. How many are in your normal riding crew (2 or 10), your elevation, which engine does your VLX have? If there are only 2-3 of you at sea level and your boat has the Hammerhead there should not be any problems getting on plane very fast. If you have the LCR or Monsoon and a full boat, get 2-3 people to move up front and that should help. I would start with adding some weight up front anyway because it will make your wake nicer and firmer.
There are tons of threads on props in almost any watersports forum, including this one, asking similar questions about the same boat. You could also email or call any prop company or dealer and they will be glad to answer all your questions. I live in Texas so I bought from Nittle and they were a ton of help.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-29-2011, 10:00 AM Reply   
Put the wedge all the way down when yo start, then once you plane out you can adjust it to wher eyou want. If the rider falls you lower it back down all the way as you turn to get them. Also get some weight for the bow, it will make your wake sooo much better.
Old    jdgreen1            08-01-2011, 6:43 AM Reply   
Additional bow weight will benefit the VLX's ability to plane more than the 1235 imo.

You should really plan to get both in the future as they are both great additions.