Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-06-2009, 1:34 PM Reply   
We're working on a short flick for Wakeology due at the end of the month. Here's a quick teaser with some pretty darn nice sunrise footage. You're gonna have to wait for the tricks, though...

I'll put it up on Vimeo/YouTube as time permits (uploading HD vids is still so hit/miss), but for now here it is on my personal site. Should scale to whatever speed your connection is.

http://froese.smugmug.com/gallery/3712738_HgrBy/1/#582862792_Sba43-A-LB
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-06-2009, 2:10 PM Reply   
So are you on the Wakeology payroll now?! Jake looks sleepy! Nice video Dude.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-06-2009, 5:43 PM Reply   
Nice man. I need to get out and ride with yall more this year.
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-06-2009, 6:21 PM Reply   
^^^^ How 'bout tomorrow??

(I know... that was harsh...) We'll be out thinkin' about you, though...

Eubanks - if providing my own equipment and doing it for no pay is on the 'payroll', then yes.

Seems like a cool upstart and a chance to do a little more serious work. May not be for bills, but I have a feeling Jason at Wakeology will take care of me.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-06-2009, 7:02 PM Reply   
Quality!!!!!! Love the HD! Wakeology blowin up!
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-06-2009, 7:04 PM Reply   
wow man, that video is AWESOME! Did they buy the old neptune molds to start wakeology? it looks like my old GTO with fins in a different location, I want to demo one! Looks like a sweet ride for sure!
Old     (the_bum)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-06-2009, 7:58 PM Reply   
I cant wait to see what we come up with!!!!
Its the teaser and it has me pumped to go out and ride!
Def our best work yet Jaram
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-06-2009, 11:04 PM Reply   
What are you shooting this with?
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-07-2009, 7:02 AM Reply   
Bad ass video man... as usual
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-07-2009, 10:56 AM Reply   
Garret - camera is a Canon Vixia HV30. MiniDV based, 1080i.

Edit is done with Premiere CS4.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-07-2009, 11:01 AM Reply   
I like the camera angle from the swim step, I have not seen that angle yet. And I like how on a few of the last shots, when he was in mid-spin you cut to a close up, then backed away when he was landing. Very cool.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-07-2009, 2:30 PM Reply   
What is wakeology?
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-07-2009, 2:41 PM Reply   
New board company.
http://wakeology.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2009, 3:13 PM Reply   
Fro-Z, are you shooting that in 30p then? We just got a (company) XH-A1s, and I'm trying to figure out the best mode for wake footage. I know it will do 24f & 30f.

Thoughts? Your footage looks sick.
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-07-2009, 6:48 PM Reply   
No progressive here. I've tried that but the high motion stuff just gets really blurry when you go to slow anything down in the edit. I shoot straight 29.97 interlaced @ 1080i.

The best thing for your footage is to get out at the right time. That's sunrise and a few hours after and a few hours before sunset. We spent 5 hours on the water mid-day today and I'm afraid that much of my shots will just be junk. The lighting makes all the difference in the world and it was just way to harsh today. Honestly, I think you're seeing that (timing/lighting) in the quality of the footage more than anything else.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2009, 10:55 PM Reply   
Great tips. I'll give it a shot and post up! Can't wait to your flick.
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-08-2009, 6:39 AM Reply   
Oh, and John - thanks for such specific comments. I really appreciate the props, but when people get specific about what they like/don't like it really helps me tweak future projects. Much appreciated...

One thing I didn't clarify about shooting interlaced footage - you're really getting twice the frame rate, but at a 'lower' resolution. Interlaced means that every other line captures the picture, but at double the frame rate that you are capturing. So shooting at 29.97i technically gives you 60fps - which translates to better quality when you slow things down that are high motion.

Other tips: use the viewfinder on the camera and stabilize it with two hands, watch your whole frame (the wake can be as much of a subject as teh rider), shoot from different perspectives (stand in shallow water or on the shore if you don't have a chase boat) and change up your shots between closeups and wide shots.