Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Searay220)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-25-2014, 2:03 PM Reply   
I am a newbie currently riding a cwb pure and looking for a new board. I am looking for a super soft landing board. I am not sure I want a Marius as I would like to stay in the 138 size range. I am currently leaning toward a Watson Classic or a CWB transcend.

I already have 2013 CWB AA bindings

I am going to The Wakeboard Camp the end of Feb so I will get to ride the Watson with them. I don't have anywhere to demo a transcend. Are they similar boards? Is one softer than the other on landings ?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-25-2014, 3:44 PM Reply   
The Transcend is a little harder than the Marius. It's also a little slower to the wake. If your new to the sport it will be much easier to progress on a continuous rocker board like the Marius. The Watson will be closer to the Transcend with a more abrupt pop.Also a little harder landing than the Marius.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-25-2014, 4:01 PM Reply   
Coming off the Pure and onto the Transcend is a big step in performance. That said I think current board design has come allot farther than the iconic Transcend and there are better options out now. Everyone who has ever ridden my Transcend loves it but even I am looking at the Bill for my next board.
Hmm, never heard anyone call it slow.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-25-2014, 6:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by baitkiller View Post
Coming off the Pure and onto the Transcend is a big step in performance. That said I think current board design has come allot farther than the iconic Transcend and there are better options out now. Everyone who has ever ridden my Transcend loves it but even I am looking at the Bill for my next board.
Hmm, never heard anyone call it slow.
What other boards have you ridden? Most three stage boards are slower than continuous rocker boards. I owned a Transcend and a Marius. Also have a Watson Hybrid.
Old     (Searay220)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-25-2014, 8:20 PM Reply   
So what is so much different from the pure to the transcend both are subtle 3 stage rockers . I know the Marius is a continuos rocker and maybe I should consider it . I will be 37 till ridding season rolls around again so my knees need the soft landings also I am riding behind a IO which has a wider wake . I will be a boat only rider and just don't like the bolt on fins they are hard on the boat vinyl ( no board racks yet and I have little kids that like to thro stuff around ) . I am hoping to find a board in about 138 size the one pure I have is a141 and it feels a little big to me ( I am 150lbs 5'6" tall ) Marius ion 2014 is 136 and 141 Transcend and Watson are available in 138
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-26-2014, 5:23 AM Reply   
My wife has the 136 Marius,she's 52. I ride the 141 and i'm 54. I'm 5'6" and weigh 165 lbs. I can ride either board but the 141 gives you more pop and softer landings.The bigger the board the higher out the water it rides. So it's faster with softer landings. The 3 stage boards are more abrupt [up high and back down] pop and harder landings.The Marius has a double concave bottom to dissipate water and make your landings softer.With it being a continuous rocker it takes less energy to build the speed to clear a wide wake. Edge builds speed but it also builds line tension,so you don't have to edge as hard to build the same speed as a slower [ 3 stage] board.
Old     (Searay220)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-26-2014, 10:53 AM Reply   
Robert T

You are making me rethink this. I am not going to be trying a lot of tricks that require really big air. I can't afford to be laid up for 6 months due to having to be able to be psychically active in my business

How loose is the Marius with the fins on? How different is it going to ride than my 141 pure. Is the transcend a loose board without the fin extensions

Can you tell I like a loose feel? I ride the pure with no bolt on fins

Is the Marius a good rough water board? You seem prefer the Marius what do you like better if anything about the transcend

Thanks
Jim
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-26-2014, 4:16 PM Reply   
I had a Transcend but i rode it with the fins.The next board i got was a PLATINUM MARIUS which i rode with all 3 fins [ my profile photo] . Now i have a 2011 Marius which is the latest version.It has 2 small molded fins on each end. Much like my Watson Hybrid it's looser than the Transcend. But nothing like my Hyperlite Roam which is nothing more than a snowboard for the water. It's very loose but teaches you to edge with the proper body position.I'm not saying the Marius is the be all end all. But i'm saying it will fit your needs. You also may want to demo some Slingshot boards as they have a lot of flex and land softly too. I can't give any personal experiences about Slingshot boards as i haven't ridden one. I have however heard good things about them.The best thing for you to do is find a local shop that has a demo program and try different brands. Then you can buy what works best for you.Good Luck!

P.S. To me no wakeboard is good in rough water. These old knees don't like rough water.Butter is what i prefer.
Old     (Searay220)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-26-2014, 6:23 PM Reply   
Robert
I looked at your profile and see that we are somewhat close to each other . I come to lake anna several times a year. I prefer the private side due to the lower boat traffic and have rented houses over there several times . I have also boated on most of the areas of the public side as well . I have been on the pamunkey creek branch several times nice stretch of water. Normally put in at hunters landing or at 208 bridge marinas

I did nearly get run down by another wakeboarding boat up in the pamunkey last fall on a weekend. We may start coming down during the week but I have trouble finding a third during the week.

Where do you ride on anna? Where can I demo the CWB stuff on lake anna . I do know where both board shops are on anna but the one under Tim's is small and is the only one I have found that has CWB stuff. Would you be willing to meet up and let me ride your Marius at the start of the season in the spring .

Send me a PM if you like

Thanks
Jim

Last edited by Searay220; 01-26-2014 at 6:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-26-2014, 6:47 PM Reply   
Message sent.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-31-2014, 6:46 AM Reply   
I haven't ridden a transcend since 2010 the 2009 Platinum and rode the absolute as well I am on a Watson Hybrid for the parks for two seasons and have ridden many LF boards like the classic etc..

IMO theres no way to compare these boards they have significantly different rockers and ride different.. Most LF boards are light fast and have smaller rockers so pop is more created through the rider and fits more styles and varys..

The transcend is a huge 3 stage rocker, is slower than LF models, and is made for riders who ride more Wake 2 wake and like the upward more then outward TYPE OF POP AND TRICKS..

Im not sure how much has changed since 2010 on the transcend but that's my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt..

the S4 is my favorite boat board but on a Bside right now but will be going back to LF because they fit my style behind the boat more than other Brands.I do ride HL systems for boot set up so its not that im stuck on a brand I ride what works for me..