Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-23-2006, 7:41 PM Reply   
I had shoulder surgery 3 weeks ago and didn't find out from my doc what actually happened or what was wrong until a week ago. He told me I had a torn labrum and that I shouldn't do anything for 4-6 weeks. The strange thing about my surgery is that I was expecting to be in a lot of pain but with a little help with meds, 3 days after surgery I felt pretty good and was already starting to move my shoulder around. The day before I found out from the doc what my surgery surgery uncovered, I went to the gym(10 days after surgery). I was looking to get a head start on rehab but now I'm wondering if I may have made a big mistake. I feel great, my shoulder feels no worse than before the surgery but my question is, did I push it too fast and too soon? Is it possible to reinjur it by just working it out at the gym that soon? I stopped going after he told me to stay off it for 4 weeks, but I feel pretty darn good. I only wore a brace for like a week and you wouldn't even know I had surgery unless I told you.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-23-2006, 8:28 PM Reply   
Go slow man. I few weeks is not worth another surgery. Believe me I know. You should be working with a PT too. They can give you specific exercises, monitor your progress and give you other treatments like ultrasound and electro stimulation. Both are great tools for rehabilitation.
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-23-2006, 8:29 PM Reply   
i guess i gotta wonder why you went thru surgery not even knowing why you where doing it in the first place?
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-23-2006, 8:31 PM Reply   
I went in for a clavicle resection and came out with a heavily repared labrum as well. It is near imposible to image or diagnose a torn labrum.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-23-2006, 8:42 PM Reply   
Doc didn't know how extensive the injury was until he got in there during the surgery. I had an MRI about 8 months but I reinjured it many times between that time. All I knew is that I was dislocating it almost everytime I rode and I figured surgery could only make it better. I was a little concerned that he didn't reorder an MRI after a few months but I figured it didn't matter because I wanted the surgery anyway. I had been dealing with the problem for about 3 years and went to a physical therapist after my MRI to get some help with shoulder excercises. Damn HMOs.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-24-2006, 2:44 AM Reply   
An MRI will show a torn labrum. Be thankful that they repaired yours. I went in a year and half ago to get mine repaired and they totally removed it. It's bone rubbing bone now and constant pain. Don't hit the weights too soon. You could tear it again and end up like me. Have had both shoulders done. At least the right one came out good.
Old     (ifinallygota21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-24-2006, 4:18 PM Reply   
only do what the PT says too. the labrum has to heal back down to the bone and if you strain the fixation it will pull out and you will have to go back to surgery. i sell sports medicine implants and most docs keep their patients immobilized 4-6 weeks
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-24-2006, 5:26 PM Reply   
I had a surgery on Sept 15 for a torn labrum. I finally got the sling off last week. Mine never hurt, ever. I never took any pain meds or anything and have felt like i could just go wakeboarding since a few days after the surgery. But, being that the only reason i got the surgery was for wakeboarding i didnt want to do anything stupid so i left the sling off until last week. Right now my shoulder is amazing, almost full range of motion, PT says i'll have it all next week. I was also talking to him about wakeboarding and he said i could probably start riding around, as in no tricks watsoever, in like mid to late november. What do you guys think, will i be ready to ride at that time?
Old     (poodle)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-24-2006, 8:44 PM Reply   
if it was just a labrum tar probably but i just had surgery on exactly a month ago my socket was busted in 2 peaces my labrum was torn i had cartlege torn and all my ligamints were stretched i never felt any pain even after the surgery i never had to take the meds they gave me they told me since there were so many things wrong with it it will be a good 6 months till i can ride again im pritty bumbed they still havnt let me take my sling of full time and they said i wont be able to for another 3 weeks but i am going to be able to start seeing the pt sometime this week so im exited for when i come back to riding does anyone no if there are any good sholder braces out there and if so could you let me no thanks
Old     (sherman)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-25-2006, 3:17 AM Reply   
I tore my labrum and had surgery one month later. The doc put 3 screws in my shoulder. I did PT for 4 months with no riding on doctors orders. After he said I was good to go. I went out riding that has been about a year and a half now and no pain. Dont push it let your body heal