Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-10-2009, 8:00 AM Reply   
Currently my tower speakers and my hull speakers are ruuning off one large PCX 4125 amp at 2 ohms. I would like to add an amp to my system and dedicate the PCX 4125 to my Wetsounds Double Up's and run the 4 Wetsounds XS 650's on a different amp.

I have been looking for another PCX series amp but I am having trouble finding one. I am contemplating adding one of the Alpine PDX amps to run the hull speakers.

What do people think of these amps?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-10-2009, 8:08 AM Reply   
I have three of them. Great amps. slightly underated power. small, very effecient full rnage class D.

Give your boats electrical less strain, go with these or the wetsounds amps.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-10-2009, 8:47 AM Reply   
I may do a SYN Micro or a PDX amp. I am struggling a little bit with the lower amount of power from the SYN Micro when compared to what I have and what the alpine offers.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-10-2009, 9:06 AM Reply   
Has anyone bench tested one of the wetsounds amps? What kind of power are they "really" putting out. More than likley like most higher quality amps their numbers are underrated. Just a guess.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-10-2009, 9:40 AM Reply   
I've heard a lot of good things about the PDX amps, but no experience with them.

We have been using Digital Designs amps in our car installs recently and they're very underrated. Most reviews of the WetSounds amps have been really good too.

I should be ordering a syn6, 4, and 2 syn 1's today for my boat and will have a thread about it as soon as I start the install.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       02-10-2009, 10:43 AM Reply   
PDX amps are great, we run 4 and love them.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-10-2009, 12:33 PM Reply   
PDX are really nice amps that can be had for pretty decent deals. I like the one I have in my boat a lot
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-10-2009, 2:55 PM Reply   
Independent test reports show the Alpine PDX amplifiers generally exceeding their specs by 10%.

They're nearly 90% efficient. What could be more fitting for a towboat install.

JL Audio has also adopted fullrange class D in their HD series. The migration has just begun.

Fullrange class D is currently being used by both JBL and Crown in professional sound to power large multi-speaker arrays. This technology is now showing up in esoteric home theater satellites too.

David E.M.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-10-2009, 4:36 PM Reply   
^^^ Yeah man!
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-10-2009, 5:40 PM Reply   
is it true you can't mount these vertically though or is that just for the stacking feature?
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-10-2009, 7:00 PM Reply   
It's just a stacking feature on the pdx mine is mounted vertical with no problems. I run the pdx 150x4 to four pro 80's and it is loud. Clarity is awesome and the amp barely gets warm.
Old    Ben Kerran            02-10-2009, 7:14 PM Reply   
I have two of the HD jl amps and have been very happy with them. Definitely more efficient than my previous tower amps.