Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (sean21v)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-31-2007, 6:35 AM Reply   
Is anyone using Royal Purple 15/40 in thier boat? If so, how is it performing? Does it increase the hourly change interval?

Thanks

Sean
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-31-2007, 6:45 AM Reply   
Why would you need to be changing fluids anyway if you never ride?! :-)
Old     (sean21v)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-31-2007, 6:47 AM Reply   
Boats got 70 hours on it already this year Bro. Just because I never hear from you, dosent mean we aint ridin ;-) I think you must be River spoiled or something... My phone aint ringing either now is it :-)
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-31-2007, 7:14 AM Reply   
I am using royal purple but use it for protection benefits, not for going longer between oil changes. Small price to pay considering money needed to rebuild/replace engine.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-31-2007, 10:21 AM Reply   
Haha! No river trips this year and not too much riding. We need to hit up Lavon sometime soon. I've been loading my boat down more and the wake is really nice. The problem is that are you spoiled on your backyard glass!

I've had my phone waiting for an invite. You know how people feel about uninvited guests.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-31-2007, 10:30 AM Reply   
I used to run it in my 80 malibu (406 SBC) but switch back to castrol Syntec. Cheaper and no diff in performance. The only reason I got RP was it was on sale. I have always been a castrol fan. Ran castrol in all my high HP motors and never had a prob. Same for the boat, but its all personal preference.
Old    bocephus            07-31-2007, 10:31 AM Reply   
Amsoil

Royal Purple Info

As you may know, RP is big in racing circles. The chemistry they use is something we choose not to use. One of our big selling points is extended drain intervals. Some additive chemicals can cause adverse conditions when used for long periods.

Royal Purple uses a different chemistry than most. They are one of only a handful of marketers using Moly in their oil. Moly is a solid, specifically banned by Cummins, due to excessive valve train wear.

Moly (Molybdenum Disulfide) is a processed mineral that is similar in appearance to graphite. Moly has good lubricating properties when used either by itself (in dry power form or as an additive to oil or other lubricants). Particles of the Moly can come out of suspension and agglomerate. This can actually clog oil filters or oil lines and the rest normally settles in the bottom of the oil pan. This seems to be more likely when using extended drain intervals. The only test we ran on RP involved their 20W50 Racing oil versus our AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 20W50 Racing Oil (TRO). We ran two 4 ball wear tests with different parameters, a spectrographic baseline, FTIR scan and volatility tests. The Royal Purple showed a significantly high volatility rate with a 12.51% boil off rate. This compares to TRO with a 4.47% volatility rating. Wear scars were also smaller with the TRO. For example the TRO left a .41mm scar and the RP oil left a .66mm scar. There was also a surprising difference in the viscosity index. The RP has a VI of 129 versus 155 for the TRO. The higher the VI, the better the viscosity stays in place at high temperatures.

This information was provided by AMSOIL Tech Department. They had an independent lab test Royal Purple against AMSOIL. The results are posted above. They have found Moly in Royal Purple. As stated above, this can have negative effects on your engine.

Another test Royal Purple came in 7th overall!

Dyno Test

If you are going to pay extra for motor oil you might as well get the best...}}
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-31-2007, 3:52 PM Reply   
Amsoil is very high quality and they back up their product with hard data. It's pricey, but the best you can get. I've used it in my car and can really tell the difference compared to other synthetics. The engine pulls stronger for longer periods between oil changes with the Amsoil 2000. Usually the "new oil change" zipiness wears off after a few weeks of engine use, but with Amsoil it lasts for months.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-31-2007, 11:02 PM Reply   
How many hours do you wait to change the oil with Amsoil?
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-31-2007, 11:15 PM Reply   
Amsoil claims extended drain intervals because the oil doesn't break down. But that assumes the oil never accumulates any dirt. That said, I've heard that even with regular marine motor oil the most you need to change the oil is once or twice a year. Me personally, I don't have a problem with getting the oil changed regularly and always bring it in every 50 hours. I put 150 hours on a season, so that means three oil changes (two during the season and one at the end of the season).