Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-10-2006, 8:04 AM Reply   
'06 Supra 21v. Carpeted wheelwell hull protectors popping the screws. One gouged the hull yesterday. If you load the boat centered on the runners the way it's supposed to be, the hull hits the port side wheelwell. If you center it between the wheelwells so it doesn't rub(which I've been doing)it's not centered on the runners. Anyone else had this problem? Also with the trailer backed in with maybe 2 inches of the top of the wheelwell above the water line on both sides, the boat will still load to the starboard side and not center.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-10-2006, 8:11 AM Reply   
Contact boatmate they will take care of you.
http://www.boatmatetrailers.com/
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-10-2006, 8:14 AM Reply   
I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow and they will file a warranty claim for the gelcoat repair. Just wondering if anyone had the misalignment issues or am I just lucky.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-10-2006, 8:17 AM Reply   
I have a Centurion on a Boatmate it loads fine.
Any issue I have had in the past with Boatmate trailers has been taken care of with no problem
Old     (soak_up_the_sun)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-10-2006, 8:24 AM Reply   
I have exactly the same problem with ours Randy. I did mention my concern about it being off center, but haven't heard anything from the dealer. Guess I will call Boatmate. No damage yet, and I will make sure to check the screws tonight.
Thanks for the heads-up.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-10-2006, 8:25 AM Reply   
My boatmate traielr has been flawless, w/ virtually zero maint.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-10-2006, 8:27 AM Reply   
My Boatmate trailer that I had with my Moomba was flawless also. Not this time.
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-10-2006, 8:31 AM Reply   
I had the same thing happen, not bad at all though, just a small scratch on the bottom of the hull that I repaired myself. No one would notice if they were looking for it. It also bent the fender slightly and ripped a few screws from the carpeted side protector. I got it bent back in shape and put new screws in it, good as new.

I think that the wife had the trailer too deep and that the trailer wasn't quite square with the water...the boat didn't engage the forward most bunks to center itself on the trailer. You really need to drive the boat up the trailer some to center it. However, I always look now to make sure I'm square with the world before I pull it out.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-10-2006, 8:33 AM Reply   
My wife will load the boat and she is awesome at it. She had no problem with the Moomba, but after yesterday, she's getting really frustrated.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-10-2006, 8:37 AM Reply   
Don't knwo about the 21v, but on my 22SSV My traielr is further out of the water than what I was used to on my old inboard. I "drive" up my bunks quite a bit. How far down in the water is your trailer?
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-10-2006, 8:38 AM Reply   
i hate my boatmate, i'm about to file a major complaint, i've wrecked to props now putting the boat on the trailer, the problem is the guide poles are too far out
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-10-2006, 8:41 AM Reply   
The trailer is backed in so approximately 2-3 inches of fenderwell are above the water on either side.
Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-10-2006, 9:44 AM Reply   
The steepness of the ramp seems to have a lot to do with it. My Boatmate definately requires a more shallow entry than my previous trailers but then again this is the first tandem I've had (if that makes any difference). Anyway, on less steep ramps the boat goes on easier, centers better and you can put the trailer in a little deeper. The ramp I normally launch at is a little steeper than some but is not the steepest ramp I've seen. On this ramp I can submerge only a third to half of the fenderwell otherwise, if it is put in deeper, I have problems getting the tip of the bow to clear the bow roller (it wants to dip under) and the boat does not center as well.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-10-2006, 9:50 AM Reply   
The steepness of the ramp does make sense however we are launching from same spot that we always launch from. When viewing the boat from the back when the boat is loaded, you can definitely tell that something is not square with the trailer.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-10-2006, 10:18 AM Reply   
entrust, how far out are your guidepoles? Sounds like your trailer is in too deep. I've got a 22SSV and I rarely even touch my guid poles. IF your boat is on the bunks it's impossible to damage the prop, and you won't ever hit the guidpoles. Don't be afraid to drive up on your bunks.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-10-2006, 10:33 AM Reply   
someone else backed the trailer in both times and it was a little to deep but still the prop shouldn't be damaged, the guide poles are to far out, they are 8" out! here is a diagram. if the boat touches the guide pole the prop hits bottom line

Upload
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-10-2006, 10:42 AM Reply   
your hitting the prop when taking ht eboat off the trailer? If so why not just put it in very deep and let it float off?? 8 inches does soudn a little wide, boatmate should be able to give you the exact dimenions. I've got noe mroe than 3-4 inches on mine (guess)
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-10-2006, 10:46 AM Reply   
Aren't the guide poles just that, a guide? I'd say something has gone SERIOUSLY wrong if you're up on the trailer and the rear of the boat is so far off to one side that it hits the guide pole and the prop hits the prop guard.

I too have an SSV and it prefers to be loaded on shallow.

(Message edited by Stanfield on July 10, 2006)
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-10-2006, 10:46 AM Reply   
no i'm hitting the prop putting it on the trailer
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-10-2006, 11:08 AM Reply   
sounds like the trailer is way to far in the water --at the same time the guide poles are spread a little to far. try loading your boat w/ more of the trailer out of the water, come in slow and then let the trailer stop the boat. use the accelerator to run hte boat furthr on the trailer. w/ the traielr being too deep in the water, the rear of your boat is swaing from side to side causing you prop to hit the trailer/prop guard...
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-10-2006, 11:17 AM Reply   
like i said the trailer was in to far. i didn't back it down, regardless having the trailer 6" to deep shouldn't wreck the prop, the guide poles are too far so it you hit the guard rail you hit the prop
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-10-2006, 11:24 AM Reply   
Having the trailer 6" too deep won't wreck a prop. The combonation of coming in skewed and the trailer being 6" too deep certainly will. Where did your prop hit the trailer?
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-10-2006, 11:28 AM Reply   
the problem is the guide poles are too far out. they are 8" out and the prop only has like 8" of clearance. so if the boat swings out and hits the pole and the trailer is too deep it' the trailer
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-10-2006, 12:05 PM Reply   
Not trying to sound harsh, but IMO the guide poles are for rookies,if your putting the boat on the trailer correctly it is impossible for the boat to be out of position (hit your prop) as long as the bunks are correctly placed on the trailer. It took me about 4 years to finally realize this. lol.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-10-2006, 12:45 PM Reply   
as i said, the trailer was a little too deep, so the boat doesn't sit on the bunks and hits the guide pole. i know you shouldn't use your guide poles to park the boat on the trailer but they still should keep the prop from hitting the trailer
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-10-2006, 12:59 PM Reply   
Entrust, that will probably happen on most boat/trailer combos. Having the rear end of the boat that skewed, regardless of how deep the trailer is, is going to cause the prop to hit something.

Another warning to folks, if you have your trailer too deep and pull too far on to it, you can also run the risk of damaging your strut/shaft. That can happen on a SSV/boatmate setup and I'm sure it's not the only one so be careful. Not a lot of room for error back there where the business is.