Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (mcx2ryd)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-28-2006, 7:33 AM Reply   
Okay.. brought the X2 home last night and well my truck has just the standard 4 wire hook up for the boat. So I bought a 4 to 7 wire female kit to put on the truck. Hooked it all up and everything works besides when I try to back up the curb of my driveway the trailer brakes lock on me... I am obviously missing a wire fed from somewhere on my truck. My pops truck has the 7 wire already on his truck and backs up fine... AHHH.. anyone else had this problem?? What prong does a certain wire go to that controls these 'mysterious brakes'?? Thanks for the help..

P.S I am going to the dealer to see if they can get it working and explain whats wrong!
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-28-2006, 7:36 AM Reply   
Take the last male plug (#5?) from the trailer and plug it into the last female plug of the 4 flat on the truck (#4?). That should cancel out your trailer brakes.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-28-2006, 7:36 AM Reply   
your truck needs to be wired for a 7 or 5 prong male connection. I had the same problem a few years back and that is what it was. It only cost me like $40 at the hitch store and that was installed
Old     (bigworm)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-28-2006, 7:38 AM Reply   
yea switch them around like said above but then turn ur headlights on that will engage the lockout.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-28-2006, 7:44 AM Reply   
Oh yeah, turn on your headlights! lol

I haven't done it for a while.
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-28-2006, 7:45 AM Reply   
On the tongue there is a small hole right behind the surge actuator that goes clear through. Stick a screwdriver through the hole and there is your manual override.
Old     (rukie)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-28-2006, 8:17 AM Reply   
As Todd said above. On mine a quarter fits perfect into the slot for the manual override
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-28-2006, 9:17 AM Reply   
Depending on the trailer, some will have the hole as mentioned, and some will have the slot where you can put a key to prevent the surging of the tongue. If you check your trailer owners manual, you should find the section dealing with the manual override.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-28-2006, 10:00 AM Reply   
Brent:

What kind of connector does your boat have?

The "4 pin flat" is the most common for boat and light utility trailers. Trailers with surge brakes will often use the "5 pin flat", which looks just like the 4 pin flat except it has one more wire.

Camping trailers and other heavy trailers equipped with electric brakes will usually have the 7 pin round. Many of the larger SUVs and trucks that come with a "tow package" use the 7 pin round and provide the wiring harness under the dash for an electric brake controller.

If you boat has a 5 pin flat then you would have been better off wiring your truck with the mating 5 pin connector rather than installing a 7 pin round and using an adapter. Let me tell you, I have managed to lose or have stolen about a half dozen of those adapters. Don't leave the adapter plugged into your truck and turn your back on it for a moment, even if the boat is still hithced up!

I suspect that your problem is that when you installed the 7 pin round receptacle on your truck you simply hooked up the four wires that you had in the old 4 pin flat. You need one more: reverse!

The reverse wire connects to the center pin. The documentation on your 7 pin connector probably refers to this as "auxiliary" but common use is for reverse. Tap into your backup light circuit to make this connection.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-28-2006, 10:13 AM Reply   
Like Rod said. If you are hardwiring the whole thing, run a jumper off of your back up lights. This will be the extra wire for the trailer. If your vehicle is in reverse, it turns off the trailer brakes.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-28-2006, 1:03 PM Reply   
Do what NAW said, we used to do the whole put a key in there for the manual override and then someone showed us the other way. Unplug your cable from the car and just flip it over with the last prong going unplugged. Hit the lights and it works like a champ.
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-28-2006, 6:35 PM Reply   
Brent,
At the base of your trailer where the tongue receiver slides back into the tongue there is a SMALL hole at the front/bottom
This us an override for the trailer brakes. Take a small screw driver and run it all the way through the trailer tongue. This will not allow the tongue (Black) to move backwards into the trailer.

You probably have a ROUND plug on the NEW MC trailer. That should be correctly wired with your truck. Most newer vehicles are coming standard with that assembly.

Look for a SMALL hole at the base of the trailer where is meets the tongue.

Hope this helps
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       04-28-2006, 7:35 PM Reply   
I had the same problem. Had all the correct plugs and adapters. Problem was the wiring to the switch was not connected. Connected the wire problem solved.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       04-29-2006, 1:47 AM Reply   
Read the owners manual of your vehicle. Sometimes you have to have a relay (can't remember proper term) in order to actuate a signal thru the tow harness.

What kind of vehicle?
Old     (mcx2ryd)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-30-2006, 8:29 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the help guys.. Just used a bolt through the hole to manually override it.. But what a pain in the rear. When I have more time I will be try to figure out the wiring problem.

As for the boat for the weekend... wow amazing.. wake was very nice and the storage amazing.. surfboard, ski, skate, and wakeboard all fit underneath the clamshell at once!! Very impressed great investment!! Thats right INVESTMENT!!! hahahaha