Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 17, 2003

Old    sprucie            11-04-2003, 5:13 PM Reply   
Anyone have any experience with the water powered lifts vs. the elctric/hydraulic version?

The water is too shallow in the nose of our slip for a hydro-lift. Looks like a water powered lift is a great idea.
Old    sprucie            11-05-2003, 2:59 PM Reply   
anyone?
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-05-2003, 3:34 PM Reply   
Bruce,
Not sure of your descriptions, "water powered" and "too shallow in the nose of our slip for a hydro-lift", like what's the difference between the two?
I have a HydroHoist that has large tanks filled with air for lifting and then filled with water to lower. Definetly the most popular in this region. As far a the obvious question of, How deep does the water need to be? I don't know the exact number.
My "Center Mount" which goes in a slip, lifts the boat about 2 feet from it's bouyant level/height. When the lift is submerged, it drops about 1 1/2 feet more after the boat becomes bouyant.
So, when submerged, the bottom of the tanks are about 4 to 5 feet below the surface.....I'm guessing.
I also have what's called a SideMount Hydro Hoist on my dock. I think this one does not require as much depth but again I'm guessing.
What kind of depth do you have to work with?
Good luck
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-05-2003, 4:06 PM Reply   
Bruce, it sounds like you need a nyman hydraulic lift that sits on the bottom of the lake. Several people in my area have them. E-mail me at mvonderahe@cbre.com. I'll forward it on to the right people. One of my buddies has one that is powered by the garden hose and a couple guys have solar powered ones. The garden hose lift has been sitting in salt water for about 10 years and it still works fine.
Old    sprucie            11-05-2003, 5:34 PM Reply   
Duane, I have on average 3 feet in the front of the slip and 6 feet at the rear. The slip is 28x12. I would like to put our boat at the very front of the slip which would allow a visiting boat to tie up at the rear of the slip.

The problem is the slip is too shallow where the bow of the boat would be for a hydro hoist(which I would rather have).

I like the idea of water power and its simplicity.

Matt I'll email you.
Old     (leetudor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-05-2003, 5:55 PM Reply   
A front mount lift should work in your slip. The front of the lift does not go under water and the rear only goes maybe three feet under the water, like a boat trailer on the ramp.
Old    sprucie            11-05-2003, 6:47 PM Reply   
Lee how much depth do you need for the rear of the lift? I guess I will have roughly 4 feet of depth for the rear of the lift to sink. Does the front of the lift push down on your dock when it is in the up position or does it simply function as a hinge point?
Old     (leetudor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-06-2003, 5:02 AM Reply   
Four feet should be enough, I have not measured one to be for sure but could. Yes, the front is a hinge point as the tanks do all of the supporting of the boat.
Old     (motoxer)      Join Date: May 2002       11-06-2003, 6:27 AM Reply   
Bruce,
Since no one is answering your question and I'm in the market for a shallow water lift as well I'll give you my two cents. The aqua-lift (http://www.aqua-lifteast.com/home.htm) is the same as any bottom standing cantilever style boat lift. It is simply fitted with an actuator (linear motion cylinder) that is powered by standard residential water line pressure rather than an alternate fluid more common to hydraulic cylinders or the cables associated with a winch drive (electric) lift. I've asked my local dealer about the device and he has nothing negative to say about them. I would think they would be good if you didn't have electricity to your dock but had a water line nearby. Most of the hydro-hoists I have looked at do require 5-6 feet of water, whereas most of the cantilever or vertical lifts require somewhat less, some as little as 30" of water to operate with a shallow draft inboard.
Old    sprucie            11-06-2003, 5:16 PM Reply   
My original thought was to use a hydrohoist type lift using compressed air, reduced of course, from a permanent air line run from my garage to the dock. The distance is about 75' and that would preclude the need for electricity. Simplicity.

My alternate plan is an aqua-lift again because no electricity is needed and no hydraulic fluid. Seems like a water supply line could be run to the dock easily. Secondly it would make washing the boat (with one of the biodegradable soaps) a breeze since the water line would already be there for the aqua-lift.

I need to do some measuring based on the lake level at the time vs. normal pool 440'. Possibly a little DIY dredging could get the hydorhoist plan in action as well. I would like to get a hydrohoist in the used market. There doesn't seem to be a used market for aqua-lifts.
Old     (leetudor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-06-2003, 6:04 PM Reply   
Here is picture of a used one we have for sell. Come by sometime when you are in town and I will take you to it and show you how it works.

http://www.flipsell.com/Phase3/Photos/4744-213359-Img.jpg

Old    sprucie            11-06-2003, 8:50 PM Reply   
Lee the link doesn't seem to be working.
Old    sprucie            11-06-2003, 9:29 PM Reply   
Got it now. What is the total distance from the forward attach point of the lift to the back of the boat. In other words how much length of a 28' slip would that setup use?

(Message edited by sprucie on November 06, 2003)
Old     (leetudor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-07-2003, 12:16 PM Reply   
I could go measure it this weekend, it is located at Nashville Shores. It is a 6000lb lift with walkboards.
Old    sprucie            11-09-2003, 8:15 AM Reply   
Lee if you could get total length plus depth required for operation that would be great.
Old     (leetudor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-09-2003, 4:45 PM Reply   
It is '22 10" and needs about 4 feet for the depth.
Old    sprucie            11-10-2003, 6:53 PM Reply   
How much, we are pricing the market now to purchase after first of the year.
Old     (leetudor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-10-2003, 7:03 PM Reply   
$3,000.00 for the lift and walkboards.
Old     (leewilson)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-12-2003, 4:30 PM Reply   
Take a look at bastamarine.com

I have the 4048ap and it works great. Wireless remote with solar charge. Way cool