Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (norwalkbeast)      Join Date: May 2011       06-14-2011, 2:30 PM Reply   
I want to get some tower speakers. I would like to have 4 single barrels. What would be the best set up for a good price?
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       06-14-2011, 2:35 PM Reply   
You have an incredible amount of choices. What exactly are you looking for in your tower speakers? Volume at 80ft or Volume while surfing? HLCD or just regular speakers in a can? What exactly is your budget? Give us a little more info and we can give you some good suggestions.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-14-2011, 2:50 PM Reply   
oh boy.......
Old     (norwalkbeast)      Join Date: May 2011       06-14-2011, 3:00 PM Reply   
We don't do any wakesurfing, just wakeboarding and i want to keep it under 1000. And i would prefer HLCD.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       06-14-2011, 4:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
oh boy.......
lol pretty much what I thought when I first read the title. These threads inevitably turn into an internet pissing contest. Having said that......

Is the $1000 just for speakers or for speakers and amp? It is going to be pretty much impossible to get 4 HLCDs and an amp that will push them properly for $1000.
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-14-2011, 4:12 PM Reply   
One could read for months on this topic by searching...
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-14-2011, 4:16 PM Reply   
Its going to be hard to find two pair of quality new HLCDs in the $1000 bracket. Here are a few possibilities.
Two pair of used Wetsounds Pro60s as someone is wanting to upgrade to Rev8s. The same oppurtunity might be available with a second hand pair of Pro80s for much less than your budget.
A new pair of Kicker KM6500.2 HLCDs with four pods and four collars for way less than $1000 or the Kicker KM6500.2s with a second set of midbass drivers with six pods and six collars for not alot more than $1000. The six-pack package is an awfully good sounding package that is far superior to most 6.5" HLCDs.
From a sound quality standpoint I wouldn't rule out a single pair of Wetsounds Rev8s or even a single pair or the new Rev10s that are shipping very soon. Having heard the latest and final production version of the Rev10s, I can't imagine how any four 6.5" Proaxial HLCDs could come close. So I wouldn't rule out going with a single pair of superior tower speakers.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-14-2011, 4:50 PM Reply   
I would save until I could get a good set of HLCDs. I went for a couple yrs. with some MB Quartz that came on my boat when I bought it. I just got a set of the Rev 8s and could not be happier. . Looking into the used market might be the way to go. Like David said gona be some good deals on some used WS stuff with the Revs hitting the market. My 2cents take it for what you will. But saving and get something good was worth the wait.
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-14-2011, 4:52 PM Reply   
Norwalkbeast -

If the budget is hard and fast, you should look at the Bazooka Tubbies. I'm pretty sure 4 of them can be had for 1K or less. If your wanting more upscale performance, and a 2 year warranty to go with it, you can look at our Demo XM7's. 4 of them should put you right at 1K. They go for 30% off and tend to get scooped up pretty quickly. If you want NIB, the XM9 begins shipping 6/17 and offers increased performance in a damn compact package.

It should be noted with any of the speakers that get mentioned, you're going to need to power them properly. Don't strap a cracker jack amplifier on these setups because you'll be let down. 150+W minimum is needed. I'd start there and pick some speakers that fit the "bill$" and also match well to an amplifier.

-Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-14-2011, 5:03 PM Reply   
I love these threads, some people are consistently inconsistent