Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 05, 2004

Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-06-2004, 11:33 AM Reply   
I'm thinking about picking up 2 85lb Launch Pad Bags. Are they any good since they are only 85 lbs each and not like 540? Do you need a pump to fill those up at first? I want to be able to carry these around in and out of boats and might want to keep the water in the bags at all time.

launch pad
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-06-2004, 12:23 PM Reply   
Mango, you can buy a couple of those little sand bags. They're smaller and you never have to worry about the water.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-06-2004, 1:31 PM Reply   
thanks j-rod i probably will do that since its a lot cheaper.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-06-2004, 2:09 PM Reply   
The problem with sand bags is no matter how good they are, they still leak some. I would pay the money to get 50lb lead bricks.
Old    grampawakerider            04-06-2004, 8:51 PM Reply   
I have a light boat and have one 350lb sac and 4 85lb launch pads. They are good for me because I can move them around and balance out the boat. They only take about two minutes to drain and about the same to fill so you should consider is lugging an 85lb sac around worth the time you are saving by keeping it full. The handles are sturdy enough to move them on a regular basis.
Old    aircanada            04-06-2004, 10:36 PM Reply   
Give your sand bags a liberal wrapping in duct tape (2 - 3 layers) and they won't leak. The tape also makes them more solid for moving them around the boat. Wrap tightly. Purchase the plastic type bags if you can.

Before wrapping the bags, take some webbing and make a sling around the bag. Cover all but about 8 inches of the webbing when you wrap the bags with tape and it will make an excellent handle.

Total cost is about $7 - $8 per bag, each bag weighs 50 - 60 lbs depending on the sand bags you purchase.

Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-07-2004, 3:26 AM Reply   
Ok, here's another idea. head down to the scrap yard, look around for heavy things, metal chains are ideal, dump in a bag, duct tape, you're done.
Old    aircanada            04-07-2004, 5:46 AM Reply   
Duct tape is the key to any proper "ghetto" ballast device ;)
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-07-2004, 6:02 AM Reply   
Oh yes Duct Tape is a must, or it simply wont work.