Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-17-2006, 6:17 PM Reply   
My son's birthday is coming up, mom and i want to outfut him with a new setup. He has been riding a 133Parks for two years now and he has grown. He wants to switch to a Premier136. I feel after riding the Parks he might have a let down. Has any one made a change like this that has input.
His ability is inter/advance. Any input thankful....Richard
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-17-2006, 6:55 PM Reply   
The 133 Parks is the 03-04 shape. I thought that the 05 and current 06 shape was a huge letdown from 03-04. So if you want to get him a new setup I definitely would not get him a new Parks. I don't know if that's what you're considering but I highly advise against it.

I can't comment on the new 136, is there anyway you can let him demo a few boards? Most shops let you demo and if they charge they include the demo price into your overall purchase so you really aren't out any money anyway.

I'd love to get a b-day present to demo as many boards as I wanted and then select my favorite.

two things are for sure though, he's one lucky kid and he's got some awesome parents!
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-17-2006, 7:33 PM Reply   
I would go with Josh's suggestion, that way he'll have a board he loves and you can try a couple boards you wouldn't of thought of before.
Old     (kid_a)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-17-2006, 10:07 PM Reply   
I liked the 05 parks when i demo'd it but after i bought one and rode it more i didnt like it very much. I only kept it because my brother and neice love it. I rode a cwb pure and lf balance previously and stuck with the balance. If you can't find a local shop in IE to demo new boards try watersports warehouse in fullerton they have a great demo program.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-17-2006, 11:47 PM Reply   
If he liked the Parks then he'd like the new Transcend with the speed base. It has a ton of abrupt rocker but also lands incredibly soft. Its a very poppy board and much faster than last years. It's still not the fastest board but if you don't mind setting an edge it can really boost you into the flats or a mellower cut pops you straight up. Make sure he gives it a try with his demos.

The Premier is supposedly a good board. Obviously Danny Harf can kill on it. Its going to be much different than his Parks and perhaps its what hes looking for. The beauty of wakeboarding is that shops(good ones at least) are willing to work with you to get the right setup.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-18-2006, 7:16 AM Reply   
As Josh mentioned above, 03-04 Parks board that your son is on and the 05-06's are different. Most people that like the 03-04 shape don't like the 05-06 shape and visa verse. So your son might not like a new Parks. Personally I wish they would bring the old shape back. Stephan mentioned the Transcend, while I haven't ridden it, the shape does look very similar to the older Parks shape. Only problem I could forsee with the Transcend is the smallest size they make is a 138. As for the Premier, the only thing I never liked was it always seemed like a really heavy board, but I think the new cores for this year are supposed to be much lighter. I don't think your son will miss much or lose any tricks by switching from a Parks to a Premier, but the Premier does pop a little different and track different. Like everyone above mentioned, demoing is your best option. Good luck.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       03-18-2006, 7:40 AM Reply   
Check out the CWB Tancend 138 for shure like Stephan said. Sick sick board and the platnium core is light and snappy.
Old    joe49er            03-18-2006, 8:20 AM Reply   
I love it - the guy asks specifically about moving from the Parks to the Premier and 2 CWB shills suggest a CWB board.

It's like clockwork I tell ya!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       03-18-2006, 10:00 AM Reply   
Is there somthing wrong with that Joe? That we rep what we ride. Ya I have never read a post on a CWB product and got Hyperlite and liquid force riders giving their two cents. Thats what you do on a discussion board is discuss product.What are you a CWB hater or what?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-18-2006, 5:29 PM Reply   
Why because someone else does it, do you have to do it too? He specifically asked about and I quote, "Parks vs Premier". Why not just give specific info that pertains to the specific question? Simple enough.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-18-2006, 5:51 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-18-2006, 7:44 PM Reply   
Thats just wrong!
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-18-2006, 8:50 PM Reply   
i rode the 02, 03 shape and loved it. i said that i would never ride a different board. i rode the new shape for half a ride and got outta the water i hated it so much. it was too different for me. sits deeper in the water, a lil slower it seems, but they say that its faster, and i felt that the pop wasnt as abrupt. i like a huge upward pop. it was also stickier, not as loose. i was already riding the board finless so smaller fins wasnt an option for me. so i moved on to the roam. like others have said its not hard to demo a few boards. most shops do offer a satisfatction garauntee so if u buy a board and dont like it, as long as u keep it in shelf condition they will take it back and trade for anything else.
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-19-2006, 11:03 AM Reply   
Jason, What did you end up riding?
Old     (doogles)      Join Date: May 2004       03-20-2006, 1:49 PM Reply   
I rode the 04 parks (138) and then the 05....half way through 05 I switched to the Premier (141) and just took out my 06 Premier. I thought it was a great switch. The premier is more lively and looser (I do ride it finless)...and still get a solid pop. The power of the parks to hold an edge all the way thru and explode skyward is tough to compete with, but I think the premier, at least for myself, was a better all around board. Good luck in your choice.... Later-
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-20-2006, 2:46 PM Reply   
premier is better than any board ever invented.
it will never be topped. it owns all others.
haha, jk. but seriously...its better. lol
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-20-2006, 4:26 PM Reply   
Sorry I mentioned the Transcend. I only mention it because my roommate used to ride the Parks and loved the big pop. He then switched to the Transcend and has been a raving lunatic about it. Clearly he wants to know about Hyperlite stuff but I just wanted to share one riders opinion who made a switch from the Parks.

As for the Premier being a step backwards, I think that is way off, more of a step sideways than anything. yeah its a different board but certainly not a step backwards.

Sparky, two wrongs DON'T make a right, they just make even playing fields.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-20-2006, 4:27 PM Reply   
Jason rides the Roam. I rode the older shape a few times and thought that the premier of the same era was a tank compared to it. The premier just has a softer, smoother pop. I actually prefer the premier to the parks. I learned more new tricks on the premier than any other board I've ever owned. The '06 has the jib rails that make it ride a little differently. I'd let him demo some boards and see what he really likes. Those two boards are the opposite end of the spectrum. There are a lot of boards that are in between like the new murray or 3ds.

Or you could always do like Jeff and Stephan said and get him a board made in the USA like the Absolute or the Transcend. Ha, ha... Just some fuel for the fire, but seriously....
Old    00wakesetter            03-21-2006, 10:01 AM Reply   
I went from the 03 parks to the 06 premier.I like the way the 06 premier tracks and the pop is great just like some said very smooth. He is going to have to ride it to see if he likes it. Half the peeps that rode it loved it and the others hated it.
Old    cwbabsolute1080            03-21-2006, 10:40 AM Reply   
wow I totally disagree with josh.. the 03 04 parks is garbage compared to the 05-06.... its pop is way more predictable.... no one I have talked to has EVER said that the 03-04 is better than the current. The 05-06 parks are really nice!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       03-21-2006, 11:28 AM Reply   
Ya I still dont get what the big deal is about a rider that rides a CWB having discussions about a wakeboards on a wakeboard discussion board and never will. I guess im just not a hater of any wakeboard brand and think outside the Hyperlite box. There is alot of great product out for 06, and IMO CWB is on top, with some really sick product, thats all. Why limit yourself to a Parks or a Premier, go out and demo all the product and find out whats best for you!!!!and if it happens to be a Parks or Premier then great, if not then it was a good thing you demoed all the product and found what works best for you thats all nothing more.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-21-2006, 12:28 PM Reply   
I need to try a cwb.
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it but someone could be asking about what boat to get and there'd be a million post saying "get a cwb"
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-21-2006, 1:09 PM Reply   
Benjamin... you should get a CWB. LOL!

At least with CWB you don't have to be able to speak Chinese to talk to their warranty department. Sorry, sorry, I just couldn't resist.
Old    00wakesetter            03-21-2006, 1:29 PM Reply   
I guess im just not a hater of any wakeboard brand and think outside the Hyperlite box

LOL! Hyperlite is the best and no other company will ever be as good as Hyperlite.
Old     (zride)      Join Date: May 2001       03-21-2006, 4:03 PM Reply   
going from the parks to premier your son will probably be the mosty disappointed in the pop of the premier. Other than that he might actually progress further with the premier because it is a little more "user friendly" and can can be an easier board to try new tricks on. I rode the premier for many years, then went to the parks, and now am riding a little bit of the 04 Byerly but still have some getting used to that boards because it seems to tail drag and release late off the wake. The byerly is my second favorite to the parks because of pop. I havent tried too many other companies which I would hold off for a little bit. Who knows....maybe you can get your son a new Square One board....:-)
Old     (zride)      Join Date: May 2001       03-21-2006, 4:09 PM Reply   
lol hahahaha

Bottom line....CWB is still a Connelly. Sorry i coulnt resist!
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-21-2006, 4:57 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the input guys, new Premier is on order...
Richard
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-21-2006, 5:50 PM Reply   
Jeff, you crack me up. It's got nothing to do with thinking outside the box or hating. A very direct question looking for very direct answers, that's all. There's nothing wrong with presenting a brand you support, but force feeding it to someone who has already made a brand choice is not going to accomplish much. I certainly hope you don't do this with customers in your shop, cuz for me it's an instant sign that maybe the person I'm talking to is the hater.
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-21-2006, 6:22 PM Reply   
I used to ride the Premier, last year I rode the Absolute, this year the Transcend. Most companies make a board you will be comfortable riding. For me.....CWB!! Not because of someone's comments on this site, but because of product quality, service, local representation.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       03-22-2006, 8:33 AM Reply   
By me saying check out the CWB Trancend, Im force feeding him. Whatever Sparky you got some issues to deal with.and My shop is doin just fine.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-22-2006, 12:20 PM Reply   
Just my .02: This site is very heavy on the CWB lovers, who have to say something about how great the ______ CWB board is anytime someone asks about any board by any other producer. I think you guys might be turning more people off to CWB by doing this. Despite being on this board for years and seeing post after post after post after post after post about how great CWB is, my desire has not gone up slightly for trying out their boards. Whereas it has gone up for trying the Substance, Fish, Gonzalez, and Vice. I'm not saying you shouldn't keep up your reppin', it just has done nothing for me and it looks like a few others have been turned off by it too.

Congratulations on the purchase Richard. I imagine your son will love his new board. Let us know what he thinks!
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-22-2006, 12:49 PM Reply   
If someone on this board was inquiring about a good place to have sushui and I were to post about Ruth's Chris---the best steak dinner I have ever had, great atmosphere, service, quality, experience, etc. would you chastize me? Some people are fortunate enough to have found a great product/service that they wish to share their experience in hopes that someone else may enjoy the same.

FYI: sushi is my favorite food and I ride CWB
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       03-22-2006, 1:24 PM Reply   
Now finally someone makes sense. Chuck nailed it. Its about the riders that made the switch and are stoked on their new boards. thats why there is so many riders repin CWB on this discussion board. Thats all nothing more.
Old     (wakerider900)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-22-2006, 1:28 PM Reply   
What kind of soil would you use in your garden?

(Jeff Baker answer:Cwb makes really good boards, they are really comming on strong.)
I could not resist, what does your answer have to do with the question?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-22-2006, 3:50 PM Reply   
A big pile of cow crap, mixed with a little potting soil (I have real sandy soil here and it needs the amendments).

Don't bag on Jeff, I'm the one that recommended the CWB in the first place. Like said above its about taking the experience of a rider coming from the same board and sharing their experience with their new ride. The guy was worried about the Premier not meeting the expectations of his son. One board that will meet his expectations is the Transcend, simple enough. I could have also recommended a GB board as another friend came frome the Parks to it, he just doesn't like it as much.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-22-2006, 6:40 PM Reply   
Jonathan wrote: what does your answer have to do with the question?... My point as well. And sorry Chuck, It wasn't an open question like "what board", his choices were between two...your sushi restuarant comparison = apples and oranges.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-23-2006, 9:38 AM Reply   
Game. Set. Match.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-23-2006, 10:40 AM Reply   
This discussion is like the MC vs CC vs BU vs "Insert other boat manufacturer here" arguement. First Fact - almost all boards, and wakeboard boats, do a great job showcasing your talent, or lack of, very well. What it comes down to is opinion, style, and preference. Fact Two - The Rider makes the board, bindings, and boat look good not the opposite. Get over all this BS about US vs THEM, and ride....WE all look better when we stand together to progress the sport instead of all this BS.

Old    00wakesetter            03-23-2006, 10:44 AM Reply   
Byrd, double star!
Old     (cubanismo)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-23-2006, 10:56 AM Reply   
Byrd = Poet Laureate

Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       03-23-2006, 11:03 AM Reply   
Agreed Byrd!!!!!!!!!! Nice Boat!!!!!!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-23-2006, 12:16 PM Reply   
Yup, I agree too. I like all the points that have been made. I was the same as Josh before I made the switch CWB. I always bagged my friends that were cruizin around reppin' CWB. I even went as far as to intentionally not demo their products on demo days. I was too busy riding all the HL stuff I could get my feet on. Then one day I realized just how much lighter LF boards were. I was immediately sold and was stoked on the new LF bindings too. After riding LF for a year and watching my friends still dig the CWB stuff I got to thinking about actually giving it a shot. I had some warranty issues with LF and was ready to try out the other featherweight board brand. I bought a Absolute without as much as a demo ride. I figured it looked a lot like the bottom of the Premier ('04) that I liked soo much. After that it was as good as done. I loved the explosive pop that the board delivered and haven't looked back. I started jumping on all the CWB boards and found out that I dug their more mellow 3 stage shapes because how fast and fun they are. As of now I've ridden every CWB shape and I haven't found one that I really didn't like. That said I've never ridden a board that I hated, just some that I like more than others.

Now days I rep the product line that has done a ton to support us on a local level. If I have a question or a problem it's really easy for me to get a hold of someone to answer it for me. At the end of last summer I tore a heal piece in my Zeus' (totally my fault) and the new one was on my door 3 days later.

Anyway, take it for what you will. Variety is the spice of life. That's why you have options. I'm just saying that when you have that many people supporting a product line there is probably a reason. Would you buy a car that everyone says great things about or would you buy one that no one has an opinion on?
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-23-2006, 12:49 PM Reply   
Thanks for the props...

Jeff, if you are ever in central Fla, I give you a pull behind it.
Old    00wakesetter            03-23-2006, 1:05 PM Reply   
Evan, now thats how its done. You almost got me wanting to go demo CWB. Everyone take notes.
Old    joe49er            03-23-2006, 1:19 PM Reply   
{quote} I'm just saying that when you have that many people supporting a product line there is probably a reason. {end quote}

That's not the point - If all the CWB love was from random people stoked on CWB that would be one thing....

Anyway - I'm not a hater (thanks Jeff) - I would just like real opinions related to the question at hand without having to wade through the BS.

(Message edited by joe49er on March 23, 2006)
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-23-2006, 2:27 PM Reply   
Byrd,

If I'm ever in central Florida, can I get a pull too? You need to super-impose your profile picture and glue it to the steering wheel of your car. That way, after a long day at the office, all you troubles will fade away as soon as you start driving.
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-23-2006, 3:42 PM Reply   
Next Question..our family switched from Hunts BBQ sauce to Mr. Stubbs..any opinions....
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-23-2006, 3:55 PM Reply   
You dont want BBQ sauce, you want Heinz Ketchup.....lol.
Old     (zride)      Join Date: May 2001       03-23-2006, 7:49 PM Reply   
you right Evan. I dont mean to knock any company.....I was just havin fun. But seriously my first board was a Connelly and for its time it was awesome.. although a little heavy. It was the Connelly Dually. It had HL Team Bindings, which at the time probably made it the heaviest setup in the world. :-) There definately are lighter boards. But I am down with the companies the are innovating...not imitating. I dont want a board with a three year old mold that has been tweaked a lil here and there, renamed, and called a pro model board. I like what Paul did with Hyperlite because the boards were cutting edge. Front of the pack in innovation, design, and shape. They created shapes, boards, and gear that other only dream to make. Thats exaclty what happens. There is a band wagon that is a couple years behind just watching what the leader does. Anyway all the comp[anies make good products and offer great consumer goods. I dont mean to offend an person or company joking around. Take Care

(Message edited by zride on March 23, 2006)

(Message edited by zride on March 23, 2006)
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-24-2006, 7:24 AM Reply   
Yeah Jeff V, you can come get a pull too. In fact since you are under 21, you can be the designated driver when you are not on the string....
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-24-2006, 10:48 AM Reply   
Isaac, I actually think it's funny that CWB continue to evolve the Absolute shape and move the older ones down market. It's amazing to me that I like a board that's 3 years old better than anything I've ridden that's brand new. Without trying to push any CWB product I've gotta say that the Absolute was really innovative for it's time. In '03 the board was sporting a totally different base shape than anything else around. Spine down the center (yeah, I know HL just intro'd it too) 4 molded fins at each end (two tiny outside fins like what the 3ds did 2 years later) and killer rocker line. Say what you will, but I'm stoked you can buy a Pure for $200 less than their newer "more high-tech" boards.

Also, about moving boards around in a lineup... Show me a company that doesn't do that. Try telling me that the new Premier isn't made from the same mold as the '04 or that the same isn't true of the TFD, Byerly or Parks. HL just takes their molds and trims some material out of them and calls it their new board. Ever looked at a Byerly with the channels closely? That board is the same as the year before, just with some material cut out.

Again, I'm not bashing. I love wakeboarding and I'm a total board-whore. I like to try everything out, just saying that making new molds every year would be cost prohibitive to any company regardless of their size. It does get annoying to me when people only push a certain board line, especially if they haven't tried anything else out. That's why if you look at my original post I compared the Premier to the Parks (two boards that I spent a lot of time on). Only at the very end did I mention anything about CWB. I think there are a lot of people on this site pushing CWB because they are excited about the product and would like to see people jump on an give them a try. I get tired of people at the boat shows that don't know there is more than 1 wakeboard brand.
Old     (zride)      Join Date: May 2001       03-24-2006, 3:19 PM Reply   
yeah I totally agree that making mold every year is not cost effective. They dont trim a little out of mold and call it a new shape. You can speak english talking to their warantee department as I have dealt with them for many years in business. Boards do float down the lineup ..the ERA is actually the original Premier. As for Byerly, he has always had his own shaper that he has make his boards...Scott Butchard, therefore, his boards are primarily designed, shaped, and updated by Byerly himself. I know. The boards are different. They actually have purchased, designed, patented, and produced more shapes, molds, and different true variations of boards than any other company. I dont want to get into differences between companies but I know Hyperlite. I have had them in our store for decades, been to the Hyperlite Factory, sat in meetings with Herb and Paul, and worked with their Reps for years. Its all good and things are different or will be as Paul and Herb have resigned. But they had it going because of quality, durability, innovation...which I will give up any day to weight. Its all good though! Whatever works for the individual is good by me.

Hey Evan,

I am down with CWB dont get me wrong. I will even try em again at Tulloch if you have a board I can demo! Hope all is well and I look forward to seeing you at Spring Ride.

(Message edited by zride on March 24, 2006)

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-24-2006, 4:35 PM Reply   
Sorry for the joke about the warranty department. I was referring to the fact that all their new equipment is manufactured overseas. I know they still have their warranty stuff handled here in the states, but I thought a little humor was necessary. Regardless, it's only a matter of time before everything goes overseas. I won't be suprised to see a boat made overseas in the next few years. So the CWB crew can only bag them for so long. If I'm not mistaken the new CWB bindings are made overseas, too, but the boards are most definitely made in the USA (except the kids and low end boards).

So your telling me they make a new mold for every update of a boards shape? Sure looks like they just make mods to the molds (that's what I've been told by others in the industry, too). Like the Era getting the new rail shape and the added mini fin thing that runs down the base of the board. They actually make a new mold and that's all they change? I'd be really suprised. Seems like a few mods would be a lot easier.

Anyway, We'll make sure we have a few CWB's for you to demo at Spring Ride. Heh, heh.... Take care, bro.
Old     (zride)      Join Date: May 2001       03-24-2006, 8:31 PM Reply   
Of course they re-use molds and tweak designs and shapes. Like we were saying....it would not be cost effective to design, shape, and purchase amold only to use it for a short time. Thats why boards go down the line up. The belmont which once was Sean Murrays Pro board is now the shape for ther universal series boards. What I was saying about the new shapes is that that they continues every year to push the envelope as far as design and shape by coming out with new ideas, shapes, and designs. Maybe not in everyboard.....but somewhere in the lineup was something new and innovative. Anyway I am not going to argue whether this and that.....and what company does this or what company does that. All I am sayings is that Hyperlite is/was a great company, CWB/Connelly is a great company....I have got to defend poor HL in this wave of bashing/slandering/joking. I know CWB is cool. So is Liquid Force, Double Up, Blindside, Gator Boards, Square One, Hyperlite.......and the rest of them. I am sure their reps would have plenty to say about each others companies. But seriously.....whats the point! I am done with this thread! One love......ride hard!