Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (jmill09)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-21-2009, 9:01 PM Reply   
I installed a new cd deck and a sub and an amp on my boat, which isn't great..a 90 rinker with 4.3 v6. Ever since the battery gauge would bob as music hit on the sub so we got a larger battery. That didn't fix the gauge from bobbing and I'm talking going from the full 12 to 8 or 9. Has anyone had anything similiar when upgrading old boats' audio systems? How have you remedied this?

Thanks
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-22-2009, 4:57 AM Reply   
you may need to upgrade your alternator and/or add a second battery. I have 2 deep cycles and 2 golf cart batteries and mine would still bounce a little. Then I upgraded my alternator to a 140 amp and now it doesn't move.
Old     (jmill09)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-22-2009, 6:47 PM Reply   
How did you go about upgrading the alternator..Did you do that yourself? or have it done by a mechanic?
Old     (lakelife)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-23-2009, 10:26 AM Reply   
Has anyone tried using a capacitor? I remember using these back in my grom booming-stereo-in-the-civic days...
Old     (jmill09)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-23-2009, 10:41 PM Reply   
good idea im gonna look into that. It may work but it may not because Im not sure how the storing of energy works when its being pulled out in rhythm at the rate of music. Im gonna look into it.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-24-2009, 7:32 AM Reply   
DB, I just added a WS 3-some with a syn 6 amp and I asked my guys at midwest MC if I needed another battery to run 3 amps and they said no, "we are going to put in a capacitor". We'll see how it works when I pick the boat up in a month.
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-24-2009, 9:27 AM Reply   
How big of a sub amp are you running?

Put a volt meter on the battery when stereo is blaring and watch that. My guess is crappy wiring to the dash gauge, and showing more drop than there really is.

I've got 2 amps in my malibu, 2+ in my truck, 1 battery each, and the gauges BARELY move. Granted your charging setup might not be as good. Also, check your battery to block grounds, as well as your battery to starter, and alternator to wherever connections to make sure they are clean and tight. Clean battery terminals. Squirt dielectric grease on/between all electrical post connections (ground, starter, alt), basically every contact cept the battery terminals.
Old     (lakelife)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-25-2009, 10:07 AM Reply   
Sounds good amo, let us know how it works when you get it back...
Old     (jmill09)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-27-2009, 5:30 PM Reply   
I would buy the crappy wiring thing because the boat isn't very good. It does the job but its what we have. Im graduating from college in a few weeks and hopefully someday ill get a real boat