Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-10-2007, 9:35 PM Reply   
I could not find any threads comparing the two. Equipped the same.
07 v 07
340 v 340
manual wedge
Old     (ryan27r)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-10-2007, 9:47 PM Reply   
The VLX will be less and with weight can produce a nice wake although I like larger boats so I would take the 23.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-10-2007, 9:54 PM Reply   
Both are great the engine will be better in the VLX if sacked out... but the 23 is just as capable of producing a massive wake, although with that motor and the amount of weight it would take(compared to the VLX) I'd say unless you plan to reprop it'd be a dog for sure. That said both boats are extremely nice as I'm sure you know, cant go wrong either way.
Old     (trentster)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-11-2007, 1:21 AM Reply   
I've run both, and I like both about the same. I just hate putting gas in a pro-weighted 23. I get a new boat every year. I just sold a 2007 VLX and I am getting a 2008 VLX (they start building it this thursday). The VLX is less to clean, smaller to store, easier to tow, and uses a lot less fuel considering that I would only get a 23 with the 8.1. The VLX will also have a bigger wake out of the box, and with more weight the wake will get as big as any pro would ever need. To really compare apples to apples as far as the wake is concerned the 23 needs to have the 8.1 liter engine and at least a 1000 more pounds of weight over the stock ballast to be like the VLX. The limiting factor for the VLX will be horsepower since you can't get the 8.1 in it. The biggest wake I've seen was actually behind a Wakesetter 23. It had the stock 1250 pounds of ballast, a 650 pound sac in the bow, two 650 pound sacs on top of the rear tanks, about a 1000 pounds of lead distributed throughout the boat, and 4 people. The wake was unlike anything I have seen, but even the mighty 8.1 was having a hard time getting it out of the water. We also burned through a tank of gas like it was nothing. If you are considering only the 340 then the VLX is your only choice for a pro level wake.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-11-2007, 4:13 AM Reply   
^^^^
Trent hit the nail on the head. Also not mentioned is what size is the crew. If your are riding with 4 regulary, the VLX is the way to go, more than 4 on a consistent basis, the LSV. I defintely recommend like Trent the 8.1
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-11-2007, 7:00 AM Reply   
Ditto....if you run weight prop it down. You may lose some speed but you will gain precious gas consumption and better holeshot.

Do a search for "Camo Bu".....that boat is weighted similarly to what Trent is talking about. He has the 8.1 and he geared the prop down....no trouble at all getting on plane.

(Message edited by rson on July 11, 2007)
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-11-2007, 7:01 AM Reply   
We had an '04 LSV (same hull as "07), and now we have an '07 VLX. I never bothered to reprop the LSV. It ran 340 Monsoon with the stock Acme 537 for the entire 870 hours that we ran it. Getting out of the hole was only an issue when the boat was completely slammed. That boat handled GREAT. You could go into a turn with absolute confidence that it would track perfectly. The wake was incredible.

That being said, we love our '07 VLX. It has the 340 Monsoon also. We have repropped it with the Acme 1235. Even slammed, it gets out of the hole very easily. Everybody LOVES the wake. It burns quite a bit less gas than the LSV, but turning isn't quite as predictable as the LSV. It chine locks a bit easier, so turns aren't as predictable. The 1235 prop improved this, but it still isn't as good in a turn as the LSV. If I could choose either, I would have no problem with either one, but I would probably go with the VLX because of the gas usage. If you need a bigger boat, or just like lots of room, don't hesitate to get the LSV.

Bottom line is that you can't go wrong with a Malibu. They're head and shoulders above anything else out there. (That's an opinion. Nautique and MC owners- don't get your panties in a wad.)

(Message edited by deltawake on July 11, 2007)
Old     (larrys)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-11-2007, 7:03 AM Reply   
I have an '07 VLX with Monsoon. I have had an '06 LSV with 8.1 and '04 LSV with HammerHead. A good friend has an '07 LSV with Monsoon. When comparing stock wakes the VLX has a much better wake than either of my LSVs. The closest was the '06 LSV with 8.1. Because of the extra weight of the motor. When properly weighted any of the mentioned boats can produce a great wake. With the Monsoon in either of the boats you will need to reprop if you are adding a lot of extra weight. If going to be over-weighted all the time I would get the Hammerhead on the VLX or the 8.1 in the LSV. Choosing between the 2 boats is difficult. If you need the space the LSV is the way to go. We normally ride with 4-6 and an occasional 8-10. Not bad in the VLX. After having both, I really don't see much difference in the ride. And, we do get into some big water from time to time. The VLX does suffer from more bow rise than the LSV. I will say this. Coming from the ’06 LSV with 8.1 into the ’07 VLX with Monsoon, my gas consumption has got to be close to half. And, we are getting a better factory wake. That means a lot when we usually put about 175-200 hours on the boat in the summer. Get the power wedge on either!!! With the LSV we always used the wedge with factory ballast. With the VLX we only use the wedge when the crew is small. With 8+ we don’t and the wake is great!. If you surf the adjustability of the wedge makes a huge difference.
Old     (kreative)      Join Date: May 2007       07-11-2007, 7:03 AM Reply   
No offense but imho you are way off Trent. Several of my friends have VLX's and they are badazz. Here we agree. But as far as the LSV we don't. I testdrove/rode both. The wake is nearly identical, the power is nearly identical, and the handling is nearly identical. As far as the power situation I will say this. Prop it down.

I just bought a LSV. I fill the standard ballast and then add a 600 to each side of the motor and about 800 in the nose, the wedge 3/4 up from all the way down, and 3-4 people in the boat. The wake is ridiculous and the holeshot is the same as a similarly weighted VLX. The Hammerhead 8.1 engine is a total waste of money. Its just not necessary. If you want it just because, well, more power to ya. Gas consumption isn't much worse than my old dd.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-11-2007, 7:29 AM Reply   
^^^^

I think there would be several 8.1 folks including BU dealers that would disagree.
Old     (kreative)      Join Date: May 2007       07-11-2007, 7:59 AM Reply   
Probably so but that is my opinion. My opinion was derived directly from first hand experience and direction from my dealer.
Old     (trentster)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-11-2007, 9:22 AM Reply   
k(kreative)- What may be different between you and I is I am 4700 feet above sea level in Idaho. I have also taken these boats beyond a test drive. I am actually a tournament boat driver, and work part-time for the dealer here. I generally drive for all of the pro riders that come for our clinics. Often I drive the boats that the pro riders bring with them. Usually though I just pull them behind my VLX. I will be pulling "Wake in the Snake" this weekend and "Idaho Board Stock" in a few weeks. Before we were pulling these events with my VLX we would use whatever we had left over in the store as far as a vlx or 23 was concerned. We used a pro-weighted 23 with the Monsoon in it a couple years back, and the riders were pissed that it took so long to plane after we added weight. We tried a few props on it throughout the day- it was just underpowered at this altitude. We had to change our driving plans and start the riders with a long pull away from the course before turning around and coming back. Now at sea level you may be able to get away with a Monsoon in a pro-weighted 23. The only Monsoon driven 23 I would push on a customer is one that's on a diamond hull, and they aren't planning on filling anything but the factory tanks. Even though that describes a boat that's probably good for 90 percent of our customers- I think it's a far cry from what the wakeboarders on this message board would want. They are usually wanting something a little more hardcore. On a side note from reading your post- the Hammerhead and the 8.1 are not the same motor.

Here is a link to the VLX I just sold:http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/index.php?page=out&id=526

(Message edited by Trentster on July 11, 2007)
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-11-2007, 9:34 AM Reply   
You may also want to jump over to www.themalibucrew.com and check with them. All good info above though.
Old     (kreative)      Join Date: May 2007       07-11-2007, 11:38 AM Reply   
Trent

The fact that the Hammerhead and the 8.1 are not the same motor was my misunderstanding. When I was working my deal it was most certainly the Hammerhead that was not a suggestion that my dealer was willing to make. I retract anything I said about the 8.1. My mistake.

Altitude could definitely make a difference(not that I am an expert on this subject).

BTW Thats a nice ride Trent or whoever owns it now. LOL

k
Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       07-11-2007, 12:12 PM Reply   
06 VLX with quad MLS full (1250), power wedge down, 600 in either side of vdrive and 11 people, 340 monsoon with the acme 1235. 22mph and 77ft.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (lespaul)      Join Date: May 2007       07-11-2007, 2:35 PM Reply   
ryan that wake looks ginormous!
Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       07-11-2007, 2:52 PM Reply   
Brad,

It is. I almost blew my knee out last night coming down from a very large crow. Still getting used to it, wish I had a wake like this 5 years ago when my body could handle it.

It is amazing on the gas as well. We had 10 diff riders last night and only went through a 1/2 tank, and that was including about 30 min of driving to get to the goods.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-12-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
I want to thank every one for your input.

My better half (I married up) likes having more room inside so we are leaning toward the 23.

It sounds like the hammerhead is the way to go.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-14-2007, 2:48 PM Reply   
Found the boat - Thanks For All Of your Help

07 23 LSV
Hannerhead
Power WedgeUpload
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-14-2007, 4:13 PM Reply   
NICE, love the color combo!!
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-14-2007, 8:02 PM Reply   
great looking boat Bryan

also a nice looking boat k(kreative)

Bryan, you are gunna love that Hammerhead!

k (kreative) and I have the same dealer (more than likely)...they are a great bunch of guys!
they suggested that the HH was an option that you would never get your money back out of on resale or trade-in
much like a stereo
but I went with it anyway.....they then confessed that they think it's an awesome engine

the one brother has it in his silver edition VLX
and the other brother goes with the big daddy 8.1 in his 247!

we just re-propped our VLX with the 1235 and love it!
Old     (ryan27r)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-14-2007, 8:55 PM Reply   
A;; you need now is about a 4" drop hitch...If the pic of the boat is when its hooked to the tow rig...