Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (jarabacoa)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-11-2006, 11:29 AM Reply   
Now, since there has been a summer season with these boats, let's hear the reviews. Obviously the interior design speaks for itself. What about the other aspects relative to riding? Initially there were a lot of negative comments, so let's update this. And please, leave the comparisons out.
Old     (doubleup_dan)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-11-2006, 3:21 PM Reply   
good boat pretty much as they say a mini xstar

the wake is same shape as xstar but a bit smaller

it takes ALOT of tweeking to get the wake good though and because it doesnt have fins on the bottom we had to trim the rudder to stop one of the wakes curling all the time!!!

really nice boat though!!
Old     (jarabacoa)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-11-2006, 6:01 PM Reply   
Dan, that's interesting. Was it the port side wake that curled? I wonder if this is a common issue.

Anyone else have this?
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-11-2006, 6:53 PM Reply   
I have had one since like may, and I am in love with it. I really like the wake. Its a very rampy wake and takes a little getting used to at first but when u learn how to use it its awesome and I think its easier for learning tricks than a steeper wake. With stock weight its descent but you'll want more. I just ordered some custom sacks to plumb in so we'll see how it goes. Overall i love it and wouldn't trade it for anything else, well maybe a new xstar but thats alot more expensive.
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-12-2006, 7:35 AM Reply   
never had this issue with mine. the wake is always super clean and there is no white wash till after the rider. and fins would have nothing to do with the wake curling over. u must have had unequal weighting.
Old     (jarabacoa)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-12-2006, 10:30 AM Reply   
Billy, how far back are you able to ride while still being clean? Also, how do you weight your boat?
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-12-2006, 3:09 PM Reply   
i like 75 or 80 feet with my weight setup but i have had a few pro's behind my boat at 88 feet i think
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-12-2006, 6:00 PM Reply   
There is difference in wake in my eyes, the x2 is a bit steeper.

Also, the xstar needs a lot of a$$ weight, the x2 needs a LOT of front weight.

I loved the boat, it was a ton of fun and Ive rode several of them. I just dont want to spend 65k on a boat that still needs sacs all over the place.
Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-13-2006, 8:43 AM Reply   
I've said this many times before in previous posts but the wake behind the new X2 is very nice. I traded my 02 XStar (X1) in around June for a new X2 and haven't regrettted the decision once. The interior size and ride of this boat are superior to my X1.

The thing about this boat is it will never have a huge wake like the X1 with 2000+ lbs. Size-wise the wake isn't very big but provides the same amount of pop provided your fundamentals are good and you cut all the way through the top of the wake.

I run an additional 1500# in mind (300-ish on each side in the back and 600# in the walk-through) and ride at 80' (25.2 mph). The interesting thing is everyone I know normally rides at 70' around 23mph but with the new X2 you can easily ride at 80' and charge the wake and it provides great pop.

This is definitely not a "lazy" wake like a 210 or X1 is....and by that I mean you can't take an easy cut and back off your edge at the wrong time and still get good pop. If you don't cut all the way through the top of this wake it'll really effect you.

Great boat though!
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-13-2006, 9:37 AM Reply   
I concut that it does give good pop, for a smaller wake it gives plenty of hang time.
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-13-2006, 9:58 AM Reply   
the wake is nothing like an x-star in my opinion. i wrote a lengthy review in the xstar vs x2 post last week. Yes it is a very technical wake. My experience is that people who don't ride behind one much have a little trouble with it at first. But then they find the sweet spot or else focus on fundamentals and it will certainly reward you. Better fuel economy than most boats it seems. Yes downside is you have to put weight all over the place and distribution is key. this wake is very sensative to placement, the most i have ever seen. I have put 140 hours on mine and those (weight placement and technical-ness) are the only two downsides - and one isnt even a downside if you look at it the right way. The technical-ness helps you get great toeside trip flip pop (scarecrow, etc). I love the styling, love the interior, esp the dash, and the boat handles awesome comparatively with no weight. Very responsive and fun to drive. as always though, test drive before you buy - its your money not mine - i made my choice.
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-14-2006, 10:15 AM Reply   
I agree with Zack And Andrew. Fun boat to drive and ride behind. It drives like a ski boat and even though the wake might look small it is deceving. If you learn to ride it you can get good pop of the wake just stock.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-14-2006, 10:30 AM Reply   
Hmmmm, we've been going back and forth between a bunch of boats for next year and have considered the X2 (although we weren't that impressed with the wake the first time we played with it) or the X-star. We're coming from a X1 hull and we love the shape and pop of that wake. Still not sure. I think we need to spend some time with it to see what it'll do.

Incidently, it's my understanding that, much like the new x-star, Master Craft has already changed the hull a bit on the new X2 (after only one year??). We'll see.
Old     (c_boarder)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-14-2006, 10:56 AM Reply   
Evan,
Who did you hear that from??
You have been miss-informed. The X-2 hull has not been changed at all. The hull is the same for 06 and 07!
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-14-2006, 11:01 AM Reply   
They arent changing the hull just adding more factory ballast. its around 600lbs now, and is going to be 1000lbs
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-14-2006, 11:13 AM Reply   
Billy when can Byrd and I ride behind yours. It is an X2 right? If I like it I'll trade you my Malibu.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-14-2006, 11:55 AM Reply   
Whenever you want, just let me know, in fact the keys are in it. Just lower it and go, I dont give a sh*!
Old     (jarabacoa)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-14-2006, 1:18 PM Reply   
Billy, can you elabarate more on Mastercraft adding more stock ballast to the X2?
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-14-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
I was talking to Zane and he told me about the added ballast. I will get more info on when it goes into effect. He is a pretty reliable source.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-14-2006, 1:44 PM Reply   
Boarder.... Who did you check that with?

I was told by one of my buddies that sells them. He just got back from the factories demo days where he checked out all the new rides including the CSX. He told me it wasn't a major change, but they re-shaped the rudder box and that it cleaned up the wake.

Billy, I hadn't heard anything about a larger ballast, but that'd be awesome. That's what that boat needs. They should skip right over the thousand pounds and put a real system in it. LOL. I hate always adding sacs and lead to boats to get a decent wake.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-14-2006, 2:29 PM Reply   
Evan, my thoughts exactly.

Why not put 2k in it right off the bat?

Ive said this before and Ill say it again, the best x2 wake setup I rode behind was the wb nebraska (ronnie romero) guys.

He had upgraded the rear ballast to fly highs, filled the center ballast, and put 21 POP bags in the nose.

That boat needs a lot of weight, why are you giving up the x2/1?
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-14-2006, 2:50 PM Reply   
Mike that is what Redline is doing to mine right now-should be sweet. I am going to make my own lead weights for the front(PVC and wheels weights)
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-14-2006, 3:59 PM Reply   
I say MC needs to revamp deck of the current X1 to give it a little more room (smaller sunpad, bigger cockpit). Keep the proven wake, update the interior like the rest of the lineup...
Old     (trojanman)      Join Date: May 2002       11-14-2006, 8:53 PM Reply   
When you guys say "upgraded' the rear ballast.. Do you mean that he removed the hard tanks and replaced them with sacs? I have been thinking about doing this, and was wondering how difficult it would be to get the sacs out.
Old     (kbrowning)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-15-2006, 8:52 AM Reply   
Matt, I did the PVC and wheel weights last year and found that it took a lot of pvc sections to gain considerable weight. Your biggest expense in the project will be buying caps for the ends of each pipe. I cut the pipe into 18" sections and capped each end. It does make for a very clean source of weight, but I really thought I would get more weight out of it. I think I had about 20 sections that averaged less than 20 lbs per section. BTW I believe I used 4" PVC. On a side note, at the metal yard where I bought the wheel weights I found two identical rectangular lead blocks (100lbs each) and I picked up those as well. Good luck.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-15-2006, 8:58 AM Reply   
The 2007 X2 is going to a larger ballast system probably mid 07. It will be larger rear tanks, the jury is still out on how much additional weight they will put in. The hull is NOT changing.
Old     (ronskal)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-15-2006, 8:59 AM Reply   
MC, BU, Nautique etc. do not put 2 thousand in ballast in their products from the factory because they would not meet NMMI certification standards.
Old     (mctc)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-15-2006, 10:10 AM Reply   
If you make the stock ballast 2k, then you have to lower your boat capacity by that amount. The reasoning that I have heard is they don't want to compromise the person and weight capacity.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-15-2006, 10:15 AM Reply   
Mike, we're planning on getting a new boat this year. My boat's 2 years old now and time for something fresh. We love the X1 hull, but are ready for something different. I wish I could find something I like better in the MC line, but haven't yet. We're thinking of giving the X2 a shot because we like the larger interior. The X-star is kind of the proven wake though and we may end up going that direction. I just hate hauling all the extra weight around when we ride with a small crew.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-15-2006, 11:49 AM Reply   
My vote goes for the xstar LOl, but, you will need a lot of extra weight in that too.

Are you considering other manufacturs as well? I have no brand loyalty, I love the Mc's, the VLX, the SANTE, and the 21v. All for different reasons.

Good luck with the decision, looking forward to a future announcement.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-15-2006, 11:50 AM Reply   
Oh yea, as far as the x2 goes, I strongly prefer the maristar version graphics. Thats just me though.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-15-2006, 2:09 PM Reply   
thanks mike
Upload
Old     (trojanman)      Join Date: May 2002       11-15-2006, 7:08 PM Reply   
no comments on replacing the hard tanks huh?
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-15-2006, 8:54 PM Reply   
For 2007 you can get the X-2 with "switch graphics it looks pretty good. As far as the wakeboard wake I would agree that it needs extra weight, but it looks like MC is fixing that. No one has mentioned that it has a great wakesurf wake. I have surfed this boat 20ft from the platform no problem. It is a nice clean wave, with only a little extra weight.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-15-2006, 9:32 PM Reply   
A lot of extra weight.

Joshua, Im no expert but yea I think you take the tanks out and put the fly high 750's in.

This was before the aftermarket system for the x2 came out, I dont know the details on that.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-16-2006, 5:15 AM Reply   
excuse my question, but are the hard tanks over or under the floor?
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-16-2006, 5:55 AM Reply   
Under, they are built into the bottom of hull, and they would be very hard to remove. I would leave the tanks and add to them with extra sacks, filling both tanks and sacks.
Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-16-2006, 6:02 AM Reply   
Honestly I completely disagree with the comment that this boat needs "a ton" of extra weight to make the wake nice. I'm not running nearly as much in the X2 as I did in my X1 (1850# vs. 2300#) and the wake is just as good. What I've found is that this boat doesn't take weight like the X1 did.......the wake reaches a point it's not going to get any better/bigger.

When I first hit the 10hr mark I loaded the hell outta the boat to see what the wake would do. Honestly it wasn't that much bigger then stock and with >2000# in the boat + 10 people the boat wouldn't plane. I tried every trick I knew.....at one point we had 5 200# guys in the front and it still wouldn't plane right.

With the setup I'm running now you'll get every bit the same amount of pop as on an X1 just in a completely different way. As I said before I rode at 70' 23.5mph behind my X1 and now I'm riding 80' at 24.7mph behind my X2. I love that I can charge the wake, get great pop and land on the transition on the other side.....much easier on my knees.

Evan.....I made the same decision you're looking at and trust me you will not be disappointed in the X2. The interior room, the way the boat drives and a few other small things make the X2 a great upgrade over my old X1. The wake is definitely different but once you ride behind it a few times you'll grow to love it.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-16-2006, 7:13 AM Reply   
Billy, thanks for the reply, now, if they are built into the bottom how could you remove them? would that mean cutting the floor?

I'm trying to integrate ballast tanks in a boat i'm about to build, so checking data.

by the way, nice profile pic
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-16-2006, 8:06 AM Reply   
The factory tanks are built into the hull/floor-They ARE NOT coming out. Fly High makes a custom
sac add on which is 2 400# sacs for the lockers. Add this and some lead in the front and your good to go.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-16-2006, 8:10 AM Reply   
Zack, We (Evan and I) ran a new X2 at a contest and everyone hated it. We stopped the comp mid way and replaced the boat with my 05 X2 to make the riders happy. Prior to the contest we sent out a group of local rippers to play with it, but they came back unsatisfied.

We would like to think we were just doing something wrong, but the first impression was not good.

I think it's kind of weird that everyone keeps saying you have to "ride it differently, get used to it, and "once you figure it out."
Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-16-2006, 8:33 AM Reply   
Good point but what was YOUR opinion of the wake?

I'll be honest in that I wasn't a big fan the first set behind the X2 coming from my X1, but I wasn't a big fan of the XStar on the 1st couple of sets either. My first XStar set was at a comp and I rode like crap because it was completely different from what I was used to.

My guess is that all the riders were unhappy because if you ride at 70' and 23-ish mph you really have to cut all the way through the top of the wake to get good pop. If you don't it sucks. At 80' and 24+ it gets much better but is still not a "lazy" wake like a 210 where you can back off your edge on your cut and get unreal pop.

When I looked at the new boat I also tried to balance quality of the wake vs. interior room, drive-ability, gas consumption, etc. While I loved my X1 with more then 4 riders + gear + sacks it got very cramped. I can comfortably put 7-8 peope + gear on the X2 and have plenty of room.

Here's a pic of my X1 wake (with 2300#) vs. my X2 wake (with 1850-ish).

Upload

Upload
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-16-2006, 8:46 AM Reply   
my impression from those pics is that the X1 wake (first pic) is a little more defined at the lip, but that could be because of the extra 500 pounds.
Otherwise they look REALLY similar
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-16-2006, 8:46 AM Reply   
from what i have seen alot of people just dont know how to weight it right. i did the same thing zch did and put 2000 lbs in the boat and the wake didn't seem to be any bigger than before.

whenever i talk about this boat the biggest issue is people not putting enough weight in the bow. if you can't plane out in this boat it means you definately have to much weight in the rear and not in the front.

im running about 2400 lbs of weight plus people and gear and the boat planes off fairly well for the amount of weight in it.

people think jsut adding weight will make the wake bigger and that you have to ride different behind this boat. WRONG

i ride behind all kinds of boats. X1, x2, xstar, SAN210, and i ride the same behind each one. i might have to get used to the feel of each wake and the transition but you do not ride it differently.

people need to experiment with weight and stop thinking more weight in the rear wil make a steeper wake. you want a big wake behind an X2 put some weight up front for once and experience the awesome wake this thing can make

oh yeah and this boat does make a bigger wake with more weight
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-16-2006, 9:18 AM Reply   
The stock prop sucks it tends to pull the tail down and the nose up thats why it likes alot of weight in the front , change the prop and its a different ballgame . With a little more tail lift the boat runs flatter and the wake cleans up a bunch and gets bigger .You are waisting your time dialing this boat in with the stock prop . It will never be as big as the old x star, 2 ,1 but its more than adequate for most riders .I am suprised to see Evan even thinking of one after his post last year after the spring ride if I remeber correctly he stated MC had nothing for him and it was looking good for a VLX ?
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-16-2006, 9:28 AM Reply   
Joe one of these days I want to load that bad boy down with a bunch of weight and see what it can do. To bad your son wont promo in the winter time. We have been riding behind my boat (old X2 every weekend.) later, Mike
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-16-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
Joe is right I changed mine to an ACME 1285-totally different animal
Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-16-2006, 9:52 AM Reply   
First off.......I know this X2 needs more weight in the bow. That was not the issue in it's not planing (read my comments above).

It's also not the prop. I'm currently running the stock 13x16 prop and was during the initial weighting. I commented to the owner of the MC shop that I couldn't load it down with weight and was suprised it wouldn't plane as the MCX has more then enough torque to get out of the hole with 2000# of water in it. He personally called Zane Schwenck and asked about propping the X2 and was told the new MC 14x14.25 was the only was to go.

I installed this prop on the boat and no kidding it got out of the hole much faster with 2000+ in the boat.......but it also ATE fuel as it was turning tons of RPMs at wakeboard speed. It was turning enough RPMs that it worried me how it was going to wear on the drivetrain parts.

After playing with the weight all day it seemed like the wake difference between 1850 and 2300 was not noticeable. Since I'm running a little less weight I went back to the stock prop and it runs / planes fine.
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-16-2006, 10:13 AM Reply   
So why did Master craft changed the prop in 07 ?lmao The acme prop gets the job done with minimal change in engine rpm . My boat always plained but always rode nose high not any more !!.

(Message edited by mitchj on November 16, 2006)
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-16-2006, 10:15 AM Reply   
Mike I saw you guys 2 weekends ago by the resort monday thru tuesday the lake didnt have a ripple on it !! any time you want to load her up let me know I should have it back after Thanksgiving Joe

(Message edited by mitchj on November 16, 2006)
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-16-2006, 10:37 AM Reply   
----------------------
"By C.I.E. J-Rod (jarrod) on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 8:10 am:

Zack, We (Evan and I) ran a new X2 at a contest and everyone hated it. We stopped the comp mid way and replaced the boat with my 05 X2 to make the riders happy. Prior to the contest we sent out a group of local rippers to play with it, but they came back unsatisfied.

We would like to think we were just doing something wrong, but the first impression was not good.

I think it's kind of weird that everyone keeps saying you have to "ride it differently, get used to it, and "once you figure it out."

By Zack (raider40) on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 8:33 am:

Good point but what was YOUR opinion of the wake?

I'll be honest in that I wasn't a big fan the first set behind the X2 coming from my X1, but I wasn't a big fan of the XStar on the 1st couple of sets either. My first XStar set was at a comp and I rode like crap because it was completely different from what I was used to. "

---------------------

I completely agree with Zach. When I first starting riding X-Star, I had to figure out the right way to ride behind it. I have seen guys come from Nautiques and suck behind the X-Star their first time. The X2 wake is totally different than any other wake out there, so at that contest you mentioned (and I heard that story before) it doesn't surprise me the riders were complaining. Contest situations are tough and not where you want to "learn" a new wake. None had ever had a chance to get to know the wake.

To the defense of the boat's wake I have seen guys with super solid fundamentals that get behind the X2 and loved it first time. It is a technical wake and requires good fundamentals. I have always liked it, but like everyone else, it took me a little time to get the full potential from it. And if I get lazy toeside non-trip flip, it lets me know.

Before the attacks come, I am not saying the contest riders didn't have good fundamentals. Its a contest - tough conditions to evaluate a new wake.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-16-2006, 10:39 AM Reply   
Zack, you are dead on. I thought I related to that when I noted the 21 POP bags in the bow.

The x2 needs a lot of front weight to harden it up.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-16-2006, 10:47 AM Reply   
Hey Joe.... I never wanted to bag the X2. I wanted to like it. It has the perfect combo of interior space and exterior size for me. I was just left un-impressed by the boat without a ton of tweaking. The thumbs up I give to the VLX result from the fact that it's a turn key good wake. I wish more companies would go that direction.

This year I am definitely thinking I want to change boats. It has nothing to do with not liking my older X2, but rather I just want to try something new. Anyone that knows us will tell you that our crew is very picky about our wakes. We were very satisfied with the X1 hull because we got a great wake without any fuss. We basically started adding weight evenly and got where we wanted. When we took the X2 out at Spring Ride we just never got it right. That was one of the first X2's running around. Now that people have had a chance to play with it I think we'll be able to get a good start on weighting without ever setting foot back in the boat. Once the weather starts warming up again we'll definitely be spending some time in that boat.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-16-2006, 1:38 PM Reply   
V215 and SSV22 still on the menu or have those fallen out of favour?
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-16-2006, 1:41 PM Reply   
oh yeah i am running a different prop than stock
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-16-2006, 3:37 PM Reply   
Darren, those are still considerations. Actually, dollar for dollar I still say no one can touch the Sanger. I'll actually say that the 215 interior is my favorite of any boat. I love the accesability of coolers, the back rest behind the driver and the fact that all surfaces are carpeted. I miss being able to stack stuff in my boat without being worried about scratching the gel coat.

As far as "learning a wake"..... That's one of the ways I judge a good wake. A good wake is one that anyone from any boat backround can get on and have fun right away. I love getting the reaction from first timers behind my boat. Usually it goes something like "wow, that wake is soo much fun." I'm sure I could "learn" the wake, but I ride behind a lot of different boats and if I had to "learn" every wake I wouldn't be having much fun.

Also, I guess I should note that I have a very lazy edging style into the wake. I usually generate a very big, floaty pop. Charging a wake isn't my style. I can ride full sessions doing just floaty spins and skip hard charging inverts all together. I did like the new X-star, but it was a bit different with how long the transitions were. I dig how well you can take spins into the flats behind that boat, though.

We'll see. I have a feeling I'll be doing a few sessions behind different boats before I make up my mind on a new ride.
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-16-2006, 3:37 PM Reply   
If I had to get another boat right now it would be an X-1 (I have an old X-2). I mean if it ain't broke don't fix it. Just like the guys out there that suggest getting a new board every year. But I guess I am old school. It sucks how you get into your mid to late trenties and become old school. Later, BCP MIke
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-16-2006, 3:45 PM Reply   
Ha, ha.... I agree with you on the boat, Mike. I just wish they'd re-shape the top deck and leave the hull alone. I'd like to see the nose get a bit shorter so they could get a seat behind the driver. My other giant pet peeve about the X2/X1 is the lack of a decent cooler.

If there's a second thing to the wake that I really need in a boat it's a good cooler.
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-16-2006, 4:53 PM Reply   
Evan you shoudl really demo the X2 again and weigh it down like i do because i think you will like the wake.

when i have my wake dialed in i have alot of fun riding behind it because it is a smooth poppy and easy wake to ride behind with very soft landings. the one thing i love about the wake is that i can take a heel 5 wake to wake but still do a huge 180 into the flats with out feeling like your hitting a wall because the transition is so smooth
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-16-2006, 5:22 PM Reply   
Seems like it is clear the new x-2 has no wake. Hell, I could get some sick pop off of my old Bayliner if I held a perfect and precise edge!
Old     (bigjackamo)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-17-2006, 9:21 AM Reply   
I'm with Jason, considering the weight added and the pictures above, give me the X-1. Is it me or is needing in excess of 2k lbs in your sled to get a good wake seem like alot? Dont get me wrong it is fun to sac it out and make a monster, but 2k to make is decent???
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-17-2006, 10:55 AM Reply   
actually in those pics the x1 has over 2k and the x2 has under 2k
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-17-2006, 11:14 AM Reply   
My X2 take less weight than my buddies xstar to get it where you need it and I would estimate no more than is needed for the X1. I run stock 650 + 800 rear and 300 front and with 3 people (one in bow) in the boat it is just fine. A 400 in the floor and its awesome. So thats including the factory ballast. And decent to one rider is WAY different than decent to another. You have to factor in skill level, rope length, riding speed, etc. You give me a rider who goes wake to wake heel side and thats it and I say fill up the stock ballast, 3-4 people in boat, 65 feet, 22 mph and go have fun.

Jason - nice. I like the lawyer psychology in your deductions. And no you cannot get "sick pop" off any Bayliner. If you read the comments above, the wake will give you more pop than it **looks** like it will give you but when you hit it right, an "adjustment in approach", not "perfect and precise edge", you will get **way** more pop than it looks like it should give you. Everyone has commented that it has surprising pop for the way it looks.

For anyone that is skeptical, check out Ian Udell riding behind one. The height and distance he gets on it is phenominal. I may have some pics this weekend.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-17-2006, 12:44 PM Reply   
Jason has a lot of nerve knocking our boats when at some point he made the choice to buy a Bayliner. But then again I do believe that they are mentioned in that country song about the red neck yacht club.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-17-2006, 1:40 PM Reply   
I don't know about not being able to get pop behind a bayliner. Watch Natural Born Thrillaz and check out the pop the guys are getting behind the 16' fishing boat when they were in Argentina (I think it was Argentina).

It's definitely more rider than boat, but with some many good boats around these days it's really easy to get picky.

I'm definitely reserving judgement on the X2 till I get a chance to ride one that's been "dialed-in". I also expect a lot. If someone is doing heelside wakejumps and tells me their wake is killer I'm going to want more proof than their word of mouth. If Trevor Hansen (insert almost any pro here) tells me the wake is killer I'm going to believe them.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-17-2006, 2:43 PM Reply   
Matt, I am not knocking anyone's boats. I am just observing alot of people say that you need good technique to get good pop off the new X-2 wake. It seems that it may be to overcompensate for a small wake. Maybe the wake is just different, and, as Andrew says, requires an adjustment. I would love to find that out because I am looking for a new boat and have the age old dilemna of choosing between the usual suspects -- the X1, VLX and SANTE and now the X2. I love the look and interior space of the X2.

By the way, I rode behind my Bayliner for a few years. Yes, it was a P.O.S. But, it was a good starter boat to learn everything about boat ownership the hard way (which I am sure everyone knows what I am talking about) and help me develop a good edge. You can get some good pop off the wake of a Bayliner IF (and only IF) you have great technique.
Old     (auwakeboarder)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-17-2006, 3:23 PM Reply   
The X-2 is an amazing boat. The wake is definitly one of the best out there. Its true the stock system is good if you have 7 or more people in the boat, but what about those times its just you and 1 or 2 others. When I interned at MasterCraft in the engineering department I desinged an add on system to integrate with the factory system. I desined two rear bags and one large V shaped bag for under the front seat. I worked with Chris at Fly High to get them made. They now sell it as a kit much like their other one for the X-Star. With this system the boat produces an amazing wake. I will take some pictures and do a write up when school slows down over thanksgiving. But here are some I have of our boat.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-17-2006, 3:24 PM Reply   
Jason I do agree on some points. and as much as I love my boat hear are the knocks-MASTERCRAFT ARE YOU LISTENING?

1.swivel racks with the top board on them-the binding hits on the tower-annoying but fixed on the 07-dosent help me!

2. MC cruise shuts off with the ignition unlike PP. So if you change riders you need to remember to put it back on or you will be doing it by hand until they fall and you can go back to N

3. Cooler-I hear and agree that the old X2/new X1 needs a cooler. Well the new X2 has one but it is under a unhinged seat-This is not convenient to pop the seat on and off to grab a beer.

4. Wake is better than it looks but the stock ballast is not enough. 650#=NOT ENOUGH! once you add a bit up front and the two plumbed in sacs in the rear your goood to go-MUST CHANGE PROP! that puts it about 1200 #-about that of the stock BU VLX.

5. I dont know if anyone else noticed but at night on the Speedo right on the top the light shines through the top of the dial. It is annoying and distracting. O and good thinking with the Blue Gauges only for 06 in the Maristars-They match my Red and Black boat Perfect-NOT

6. Heater needs more Balls!

Other than that MC you did it perfect. The first time I loaded 9 in comfy and took some chop like butter I never looked back to my 04 x2. O and as for my dealer Redline in Madison WI. They kick ass. They are proffesional, fun, and the dealership itself is amazing. I never need to worry about getting my boat back from service looking like crap or being treated like a no body-like I did at Skipper Buds, you bunch of Damned Crook Loser ass clowns!
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-17-2006, 10:23 PM Reply   
HaHa.

You get no love at Skipper Buds unless you but a 40 ft 300k boat.

Good post.
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-18-2006, 8:01 AM Reply   
Brandon -- Is that a custom color scheme on your X2? I didn't know you could get the X2 with the metallic flake and I haven't seen one with the bottom of the hull different than the main stripe. Great looking boat.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-18-2006, 8:16 AM Reply   
I love mine but i got one complaint, the winshield suport is screwed into that plastic dashboar and not fiberglass, its kind of flimsy and my dashboard seems to be tearing at one one of the screws
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-20-2006, 7:12 AM Reply   
I have a complaint in addition to the minor ones listed above: I removed the panel in front of the helm that hides all the electronics. Gives me more room to store stuff, but my front bag was crushing my heater hose. So I wanted to put it back in. A number of (not un-intelligent) tried to put it back and can't get it back in.

Warning to anyone who takes it out - you may not be able to get it back in.

If anyone knows the trick, please let me know.
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-20-2006, 7:16 AM Reply   
Oh and we used my boat on Lake Medina, TX yesterday for a photo sesh with Swami and I should have a couple of pics to post soon. The wake was phenominal......

One a side note, something is wrong with my perfectpass (not a mastercraft issue really) and even with adjusting settings and resetting the whole system, it is super finicky. Sometimes it won't pick up, sometimes it goes to 28 before settling on 25, sometimes it go bananas coming out of a corner.... I have tried all kinds of different system settings and think something is just wrong with the controller. Anyone experience any problems with their perfectpass on 06 X2?
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-20-2006, 8:10 AM Reply   
yeah my perfect pass is very touchy with settings and im always constantly changing them due to difference in weight.

i have a feel now knowing what to change.

the CS is the main factor you will want to change. i have found somewhere between 800-860 works good and then make minor changes up and down 5 numbers to get it dialed
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-20-2006, 8:39 AM Reply   
I have messed around with the settings (tried numerous configurations), but even when I have done that it still randomly won't pick up.

It started doing that around 100 hours or so I think.

I will have a certain amount of weight in the boat. PP will run fine for an hour or so of riding. All of a sudden, nothing changes, but when you accelerate, the PP doesn't catch and before you know it you are going 30. What makes me think it is a controller issue is that it will do this with all other variables remaining constant (no change in weight, driving style, conditions, etc.)
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-20-2006, 11:02 AM Reply   
Ok, still haven't got the view from the boat yet (that shows the wake and what can be done with it) - will have that one tonight. But its an X2 thread and we got some cool shots..... so why not?

Ian Udell
Upload
Upload
Upload
Andrew Davis
Upload
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-20-2006, 1:23 PM Reply   
Andrew just work the cover in ther, you have to put it in folded a little first and play around with it. I've become a pro at getting it in and out, you just gota get a feel for it. Also, I installed some sacs in my boat, 2 back one front, havn't gone out yet though. Am i going to NEED a new prop, I have a lot of space to plane out so planing speed is no big.
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-20-2006, 1:46 PM Reply   
At any point do you have to really force the cover in there? I always get close, but them it seems like I would have to break something to get it all the way in and opened.

I got the OJ XMP EDGE and its awesome. Highly recommend it over the 06 stock prop. We would have had to empty some weight without it yesterday....
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-20-2006, 2:37 PM Reply   
ACME 1285 is the DEAL
Old     (dbeatty)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-22-2006, 3:34 PM Reply   
You dont have to weight a boat over 2000# if you have good mechanics (edging through the top of the wake) The X2 has enough weight stock to land any invert if you have good mechanics. To many riders rely on a huge wake to do the work for them, this is fine when learning maybe, but truth is you need to edge and hold it to get your pop.
Upload