Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-31-2011, 3:57 PM Reply   
Just wanted some input on this boat as I am looking at 20' boats and I have been offered a deal on a 07'. Hows the surf wake? Amenities? Likes and dislikes? Quality of the upholstery,carpet, storage ect... Supra folks speak up. (Have also been looking at VTX's, anyone have input on how the surf wakes and above mention stuff compare?) All input appreciated as I need to make decision asap, tks
Old     (joebob)      Join Date: Jan 2011       09-01-2011, 12:37 PM Reply   
As an owner of a 2007 20ssv. I like the boat, I have mine weighted tho, 750's in bolth back lockers, 450 in the center and an under seat bag in the front, est. 300lbs. I puts out a clean (supra) wake for wakeboarding. It also has a decent surf wake when weighted. Issues I have with the boat are It's only going to do so much, not being a true full v hull you are only going to get so much. Storage is limited with all the bags, I have a bow cover and usually put things under it for storage. If you plan on having two battery's and amps in the locker, you will not have much room. The upholstery is good, have not had any issues with the vinal yet. 330+hours, although the padding does seem to be getting softer. The carpet is another story, it's boat carpet and it's a small area so it will be matted down and get dirty, I have added my own version of a carpet saver which helps alot. The other issue I do not like with the boat is it's side hull height. Meaning the boat is short and the seats seem low on the back when sitting. Like an old ski boat style. On to the VTX. My buddy has one of the same year, we bought our boats about the same time and are usually going out on one or the other, so I have alot of time on bolth. VTX has a true vee hull and the sides are higher, makes it feel more enclosed, storage is bigger because of this. It deffenately puts out a larger surf wake when weighted, and when boarding it has a decent wake also. Totally different wake tho. If you don't know Supra's put out a steep and abrupt wake, as a Malibu is more rampy. He has had some upholstery issues but he has replaced the covers. The Malibu does drive better than the Supra as it should, the steering is much easier when weighted and the throttle is fly by wire as my Supra is still cable so its alot stiffer. All in all they are bolth 20 foot boats but you should know you are going to get a better boat in the VTX, but you are going to pay more for it. Bolth great boats. Hope this helps.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-01-2011, 8:10 PM Reply   
Now thats the kind of info I'm looking for on this site. Really appreciate the feedback joebob. I have looked at the virtual test drives and youtube vids,everything I can find to help me make a decision. I can get the SSV for 4500 less than the VTX with less hrs so it's hard to decide as the SSV sharper lookin than the VTX I'm looking at. Many of the options, engine, stereo ect.. are similar so the decision is real hard but info like that really helps. Layouts are a toss up (from all the pics I have printed out) but your saying the VTX storage is better, is that because the hard tanks are hidden in the back storage area's ? Under the front storage, the VTX is bigger? The VTX I'm looking at has the 4 tank system as well vs the 3 bags in the ssv, seems like that would help to get surf set ups dialed in easier.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-02-2011, 6:21 AM Reply   
Brian,
It is going to be all preference. You should really try to go and look at a few locally. The Supra may have a 3 bag system, but it is easier to just unplug one bag and put in a bigger one which will technically be better for surfing or adding more weight easily. They are both really nice boats. If it were even money and even hours, then the VTX would win maybe, but with less hours on the Supra and a better price by that much, it would be an easy decision for me. Supra builds a great boat and it sounds like you are going to be happy with either. Both great boats, but you really should check them out in person and make your own decision, cause you don't want a couple internet buddies making a decision for you....
Old     (joebob)      Join Date: Jan 2011       09-02-2011, 8:31 AM Reply   
By the way there is no storage under the front seats (bow) of the VTX because of the hard tank set up, but yes the back lockers are free and clear unless you add sacs. Take into consideration the SSV is 95"wide where the VTX is 100" so you are going to get a wider boat with the Malibu which equals more room. If you decide on the VTX make sure it has a wedge, power or not, makes a world of difference. Agreed with Diggs, go look at bolth and drive them if possible, that way you can see the differences in person. You should have a good starting point with all the info.