Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (snowDevil)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-22-2011, 1:44 PM Reply   
Hi,
I am looking to buy a new truck, I will be getting a 2000 Air Centurion Elite, but I am not quite sure if the tow capacity on the two trucks that I am looking at will be able to tow this boat. I am looking at getting a new 2011 toyota tacoma v6 or a honda ridgeline. I will be doing mostly city towing with no big hills, other than the launch ramp, and maybe a long 300mi trip maybe once a year. I want to get some people's experience towing with these vehicles or recommendations.
Thanks,
Mark
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-22-2011, 1:57 PM Reply   
Ridgeline is ok for a jetski or two. Neither will be great tow vehicles for a wakeboat. I would especially pass on the Ridgeline
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-22-2011, 2:01 PM Reply   
Isn't the Ridgeline more of a car with a pickup bed on it? It's a unibody and the "4x4" is front wheel drive activating the rear wheels as necessary. Generally you want to size your tow vehicle so that under normal circumstances you're not exceeding the capacity by more than 80%.

Not sure on the specs of that Centurion but I'd be surprised if either of those vehicles are rated for more than about 5,000 lbs. Your average 21' wakeboat with tandem axle trailer, your gear and what not will likely be right around 5,000 lbs.

If I had a Tacoma and bought the boat I'd use it to tow the boat around town and what not but I don't think I'd buy the Tacoma to tow that boat.
Old    Haugy            08-22-2011, 2:02 PM Reply   
I'm sorry, I thought you asked about two trucks? I see the Tacoma, and a mini-van with it's ass cut open. Where's the other truck?

Tacoma will be a bit small, but if it's local small pulls only, and you're ramp is VERY gradual and not steep. It could be done. Ridgeline? Pfffft, no way I'd tow with that.

*cue Ridgeline owners to tell me how awesome it is*
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-22-2011, 2:05 PM Reply   
I looked it up and the 2011 Ridgeline is rated for 5,000 lbs. The 2011 Tacoma with 4.0L and 4x4 is rated at 6,400 lbs. Between the two I'd get the Tacoma. If your boat is on the lighter side then a 300 mile highway trip might not be out of the question. If your boat is over 5,000 like I suspect it is then I think you need to go to a 1/2 ton.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-22-2011, 2:23 PM Reply   
You would be better off buying a new daily driver and a used older HD tow pig. I towed my 89 Sunsport for years with a GMC Safari van 6000lb tow rating. When I got my 08 210 SANTE it was obvious it was at its limit. Even with the Supra I was never comfortable towing the van always felt to light for the load. I now tow with a 05 GMC 3500 van 6L 373 rear end. Rock solid towing and it gets better gas mileage than the Safari towing. Short wheel base light vehicles are great for mileage but are dangerous for towing especially in an emergency.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-22-2011, 2:34 PM Reply   
Considering that the Ridgeline gets basically the same mileage as any 1/2 ton truck, and the 5000 lb limit, I wouldn't even consider it. My Avalanche gets the same mileage, seats 1 more person, has a larger (and locking) bed, and tows over 2500 lbs more.

You've probably already made up your mind so go ahead & get whichever one you like.

Last edited by bill_airjunky; 08-22-2011 at 2:42 PM.
Old     (strife)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-22-2011, 2:37 PM Reply   
hola amigos.

I actually own a 2007 honda ridgline. I tow our 2008 Moomba Outback direct drive which is about 4k all loaded up. The ridgeline pulls just fine but if your close to the 5k mark I would not use this truck. I wouldn't say it's a minivan but it sure as heck isn't a heavy duty true truck. It's a unibody frame with 4 wheel independent suspension which gives a great car like ride but lacks the solid rear axle you find in "true" trucks. It sucks on gas towing but is a great everyday driver. If your around 5k you should pass. Go to the honda ridgeline owners forum and check out the thread "ridgelines can tow". BTW, the 4 wheel drive system is great, never had a problem pulling out of ramps and you can also lock all 4 wheels with the vtm 4-lock.
Old     (strife)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-22-2011, 2:39 PM Reply   
also, for a NON-biased review check out;

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/...est/index.html

"Most impressive is the performance upgrade. Honda made a few relatively simple adjustments to the engine -- a new camshaft profile, larger intake valves, a revised intake manifold -- squeezing three more horses and a couple extra lb-ft of torque out of its 3.5L V-6. Along with a revised, shorter gearing, the massaged six helps the 2009 Ridgeline accelerate to 60 mph in 7.7 sec (almost a second faster than last year's model) and through the quarter mile in 16 sec, an improvement of a half-second. Those numbers, by the way, are within just two tenths of the 2009 Ford F-150 Lariat with its hulking 5.4L V-8 on board. And the Ridgeline returns slightly better fuel economy numbers than the Ford, at 1city/2 highway mpg higher than the F-150"
Old     (fifty)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-22-2011, 5:26 PM Reply   
thought you said looking at 2 trucks??? that ridgeline is a go-kart (plus they look like crap on a stick)

hands down toyota if you are not planning on looking at an american truck
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-22-2011, 5:41 PM Reply   
Yup, this thread went pretty much how I expected.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       08-22-2011, 6:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haugy View Post

Tacoma will be a bit small, but if it's local small pulls only, and you're ramp is VERY gradual and not steep. It could be done. Ridgeline? Pfffft, no way I'd tow with that.
This is not necessarily true. The only time any halfwas decent tow vehicle will have an issue pulling up a ramp is it it is in moss and can't get traction. When pulling out of the water on a ramp you are in first gear which means you have the most torque of any gear in your vehicle. It will easily pull the boat out of the water, it's going down the road at freeway speeds that will suffer.

I had a 2003 Ford Ranger Edge 2WD 3.0 V6 auto and used it to pull my 2008 Moomba LSV with tandem axle trailer. I could get up and out of a decently steep ramp no problem but could not get over 55 mph at WOT. I am guessing my rig is at least 5,000 lbs with fuel and all the gear. I would not go on a 300 mile trip with either of these vehicles.
Old     (wakes1984)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-22-2011, 6:30 PM Reply   
i have an 05 tacoma and pull an 07 malibu vtx from los angeles to havasu, does just fine gets crappy mileage but has no reall trouble going up the cajon pass or the other inclines on the way up there
Old     (spf2275)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-22-2011, 7:19 PM Reply   
Tacoma will work fine. If at all in doubt get a Tundra. If you're looking at new Trucks the price of the two won't be very different. Not sure what region you are in but Toyota never has any incentives on the Tacoma and the Tundra does which is what closes the gap on actual purchase prices regardless of the difference in sticker price. The only reason not to opt for the Tundra is if you prefer the size of the Tacoma.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-22-2011, 7:53 PM Reply   
Between the two, Tacoma without a doubt. The RIdgeline is barely a truck; a wannabe Avalanche without any of the abilities of an Avalanche.

I'd personally go with a 1/2 ton pickup of some kind though.
Old     (MattAlz33)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-22-2011, 8:09 PM Reply   
I almost got a Tacoma, but settled on a Tundra. I got a much better interest rate on the Tundra so in the life of the loan I only paid a little over a grand and got twice the truck. The Tundra is a beast; you can't even feel the boat when driving.
Old     (wakeboard_pittsburgh)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-23-2011, 6:42 AM Reply   
Mark,

NADA puts your boat at 22' and 3,000 lbs. Loaded with gear you will probably be around 4,000 lbs.

Either truck will work in this weight range for "mostly city towing with no big hills."

I have owned a Ridgeline for the past 5 years and it tows surprisingly well for not being a true truck. I had no problems with my 2000 Wakesetter (2,900 lbs) and I towed a lot of other similar weight boats (SAN 210s, Supras). As said before the four wheel drive is awesome and I never had to worry about getting out of the boat ramp, and where I lived at that time we had some very sketchy boat ramps. I usually did one 500 mile round trip a year with the boat and never had any issues. I will say that it was not as comfortable towing a boat as my buddy's GMC Sierra Denali, but they are in a different class.

It really depends on what you are looking for. Neither of your options is a 1/2 ton truck, so neither one is going to be awesome at towing.

Honestly, I would go test drive both (I did). There are other things to buying a truck besides how it tows. What I found is that the Ridgeline drives much better that the Tundra (because its not on a truck frame) and the interior is much more comfortable.

If you are serious about towing, go get a 1/2 ton truck. If you want something for light towing and great everyday driving, get a Ridgeline.
Old    Haugy            08-23-2011, 7:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
This is not necessarily true. The only time any halfwas decent tow vehicle will have an issue pulling up a ramp is it it is in moss and can't get traction. When pulling out of the water on a ramp you are in first gear which means you have the most torque of any gear in your vehicle. It will easily pull the boat out of the water, it's going down the road at freeway speeds that will suffer.

I had a 2003 Ford Ranger Edge 2WD 3.0 V6 auto and used it to pull my 2008 Moomba LSV with tandem axle trailer. I could get up and out of a decently steep ramp no problem but could not get over 55 mph at WOT. I am guessing my rig is at least 5,000 lbs with fuel and all the gear. I would not go on a 300 mile trip with either of these vehicles.
Gee, thanks. Never knew that. I figured they pulled in overdrive.

It's all about traction. I've pulled my Supra with a Nissan Altima out of the ramp. Yes, I have. Being it was front wheel drive made it no problem. Now add that the Tacoma is the same weight as the boat he's pulling. It's an open differential, and if it's 2wd, that's a chance for one of those videos we see of a boat being drug into the water. Most ramps I know (around here) are covered in slime and algae. So if you get a steep ramp that you have to go deep into, which are common, he's in trouble.

Everyone equates ramp discussions to power. As you stated, first gear, plenty of torque on most anything, but it's traction that is the concern. If he loses traction on the ramp, and starts to slide, does he have enough mass to stop the slide? Or will the boat out win once momentum takes over?

I've pulled 3 vans, and two pickups out of the water or nearly sliding into at ramps before. Almost every time was because of traction, not power. The only way that Tacoma would be better (other than 4x4) is to get the optional locking differential. If he has that, sure it's a good truck. Not my first pick, but a good truck. But an open diff 2wd, no thanks.
Old     (snowDevil)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-23-2011, 11:26 AM Reply   
All,
Thank you for all the information and opinions so far, one thing I want to add is that I need 4WD because i drive to lake tahoe every weekend during the snow season. Mostly I need this as an around town vehicle, but also something that can tow the centurion. One of the reasons I am not sold on the tundra is because of the ride and the 4WD, any opinions on the Tundra's 4WD system? Secondly the avalanche is a little too pricey for me, so I havent really considered it. Anybody have any experience with the Nissan Frontier, it has like a 6100lb typical tow capacity?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-23-2011, 1:06 PM Reply   
I own a Ridgeline. It's been a great vehicle. I've launched and pulled out our Xstar with all kinds of extra lead and gear. I've also towed it home and to the shop which is about 30 miles. It does impressively well, but I would never buy one knowing that I had to tow more than a couple times a year, short distances. You'll beat it up. Power is not an issue, it pulled the boat up the grade similar to a half ton truck, but the suspension and brakes took a beating.

I've also used the Ridgeline for dirtbike trips and snowboarding trips. It does awesome work for both. The AWD is great, and it has a true differential locker which helps it tear through just about anything. I've forced it through some off road trails that it never should have been on. Mine is absolutely beat to ****, and it still refuses to quit. Never one problem, ever. Mine is a 2005, has over 100K miles, and I have towed our camper and dirt bikes thousands of miles.

It's an awesome multipurpose vehicle, but with that said, about 1 year in, I was wishing I bought the tacoma.

Also for the record, I achieved better mileage on long trips that what Honda claimed. Hard to believe but true.
Old     (spf2275)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-23-2011, 1:14 PM Reply   
One of the main factors when towing is the actual vehicle weight and length as compared to that of the boat and trailer. That is where the Tundra has the main advantage over a Tacoma or Frontier. 2nd major towing advantage is the Tundra has superior braking compared to the others. Most anything can "tow". The important thing is that you can stop. Going down a steep grade with 5000lbs pushing you from behind is a scary feeling if you can't stop. Tow ratings are establishes from both the vehicles ability to pull and stop. I manage a Toyota dealership so both trucks are great but have slightly different purposes. If you tow your boat to and from the lake for every use then seriously consider the Tundra. That's what it is built to do. If you only tow from time to time and need something that can do it then the Tacoma is perfect. If you go with the Tacoma get model 7596 (double cab 4wd longed)
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-23-2011, 1:32 PM Reply   
I think when you buy the Ridgeline the deal is that you trade in your man card for the keys, im prettty sure thats how it goes. or maybe you have to mail your man card in? Im not sure, either way, you lose you man card.

Go with the tacoma, I have always liked those trucks and they seem to last forever. Neither the ridgeline or the tacoma will be the best tow vehicle, but they will get the job done. Just make sure and get the 4x4, those tacos are fun! I actually would like to end up in a tacoma at some point.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-24-2011, 10:09 AM Reply   
That's funny, Joey. Not everyone needs to compensate with a vehicle to feel like a man though.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-24-2011, 11:15 AM Reply   
J-Rod, is it true that the Ridgeline comes with an oral damn?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-24-2011, 12:12 PM Reply   
Jarrod loved his Ridgeline so much that he gave it to his wife to drive and got a new 1/2 ton Chevy... I'm just sayin'.

I will say that I was impressed with how his drove and the abuse it put up with. Honda builds a rock solid vehicle. It was quiet and comfortable and did a respectable job towing a boat that it had no business being in front of.

Would I buy one? Nope. Would I buy a Taco? Nope. Why not get a real truck? There are awesome deals to be had on 1/2 tons. The Dodges are downright cheap right now. The Ford Ecoboost is badass, and the Chevy with the 6 speed trans and 5.3 does an awesome job. Pick one.
Old     (phbrown)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-24-2011, 2:09 PM Reply   
2010 Tacoma 4x4 to pull 2003 SAN210. Does better than I expected. Little sluggish at times but stops well. Back up camera makes life lots simpler. I made the decision for a smaller truck cause it was about $10,000 less than others I was interested in and usually get 19-20 mpg.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-24-2011, 2:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
That's funny, Joey. Not everyone needs to compensate with a vehicle to feel like a man though.
hey i didnt plug diesels here at all

think of it like a mini van, would you be happy to have to drive it every day? I doubt it. and its not because you feel like you need to be driving a different vehicle because the minivan doesnt compensate enough.

i dont gauge a guys manliness by the truck they drive. But i know i wouldnt want to be driving a ridgeline knowing I could be driving a Tacoma. To me its a hands-down-unanimous-no-second-thoughts decision.... Tacoma. The ridgeline is a honda pilot with a bed.
Old     (txmxer)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-14-2011, 2:50 PM Reply   
We towed our 2005 Malibu Wakesetter (21 foot) without 2005 tacoma. We had the tow package added to it. With tow package the tacoma is rated to tow 6,500 lbs. The motor on the tacoma can definatly handle it, but the brakes are not as good as another truck would be. That being said the tacoma did a great job at towing for what it was, which is a mid size truck. The tacoma is a great truck but to be honest you will be much more comfortable towing with a half ton or larger. We got a half ton this year to tow with, but it sounds like we tow more often than you do. Here is a picture of our set up with the tacoma.

and the new tow vehicle just for the hell of it.

Old     (txmxer)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-14-2011, 2:53 PM Reply   
Forgot to mention our tacoma is 2wd and the ramp we used for most of that summer is the steepest boat ramp ive seen (castaic). We made it out fine knock on wood. We hit a few ramps with algae like Lake Elsinore but we just put people in the bed of the truck and put floormats in front of the tires to get traction. I should add that we got the truck before we got the boat, had it been the other way around we would have gotten 4x4.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-15-2011, 8:18 AM Reply   
I have no idea what that means Hate, but I'm sure it's not good for me.

The Ridgeline was a smart buy for me at the time. I was broke, and needed a family car that would haul a dirtbike. It was perfect. The current generation of Tacomas were a few thousand more, and rumors of very poor mileage scared me away.

But yes, it is now my wife's ride. Perfect car for never getting washed, hitting curbs, and attracting door dings. That's what chicks do!
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       09-15-2011, 8:33 AM Reply   
"But yes, it is now my wife's ride. Perfect car for never getting washed, hitting curbs, and attracting door dings. That's what chicks do!"

^^hahahahahahahah EXACTLY!!!!!!!