Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 04, 2005

Old     (baddad)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-04-2004, 8:52 AM Reply   
It's been several months since this has been discussed. I've asked locally, now I'm asking y'all. Hope to get some advice from some of you seasoned veterans (knowitalls ) Plan on installing some type of automatic, semi permanent ballast set up. Does anyone have any experience with the fat sofa by launch pad? Good or bad. Seriously considering one. One of those sofas in the back seems like a convenient way to retain seating, floorspace, and weight. Will put a pair of fat buddies (560#/pair)in the bow to balance things out. Since this will be a bit of a investment of time and $$, any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old    sliderfreak            12-04-2004, 9:46 AM Reply   
ive had love on one before. hot sticky love.they r good for love having
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       12-04-2004, 10:41 AM Reply   
one of my buds has one that he trows in an older mastercraft, does the job of 2 sacks, but its a pain to fill. I would rather fill two normal sacks.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-04-2004, 2:42 PM Reply   
I have a Fat Seat, works fine and is a nice compromise. I'd imagine the fat sofa works much the same. It does take a while to fill but it puts a godawful amount of weight in the boat:-)
Old    gw_mark            12-04-2004, 3:39 PM Reply   
Are you planning on pulling the boat in and out of the water? If so then towing it distances may be an issue for your trailer and the transmission.
Also if the sacs sit for too long in the boat you tend to get mildew around them, so taking them in and out would be best to keep your boat clean. The sofa is a good one but you want to make sure the weight is right for your boat before permanent installing one. Try it out, keep the receipt and if it doesn't work you should be able to return it. Also if you have a lot of people riding with you it might be too much, so your crew is a factor too.
Hope this helps.
Old    upupnaway            12-04-2004, 3:43 PM Reply   
I set up a semi-permanant system with a fat seat.
I found a 1750 gph attwood bilge pump on clearance at wal-mart for $30. I attached it to a 4 1/2 foot peice of 1 1/2 id tubing, which in turn was attached to a 1 1/4 inch ball valve at the fill hole of the fat seat. I wired the pump to one of my accessory switches, and ran the wire alongside the fill tube.
All I have to do to fill the seat is open the valve, throw the pump over and hit a switch. with large diameter tubing and a powerful pump, it fills in about 5 min.

Old    sliderfreak            12-04-2004, 8:56 PM Reply   
they r still very good for love havin
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-04-2004, 10:53 PM Reply   
I have the Launch Sofa, which I belive is around 1200 pounds. I used to use a Fat Sac, which took up room and people had to put there legs up on while sittin in the back. Now they can sit back and relax had a little room and be able to put your drink in it. I give it two thumbs up!
Old     (baddad)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-05-2004, 9:20 AM Reply   
thanks for the good information!
the sofa won't be permanent, just the fill/drain system.
Does anyone have any experience just filling it with as much water as needed, and then topping it off with air? Seems that could be adjustable to account for additional people on board.
I will be filling & draining while on the water, I always trailer with all sacs empty.

(Message edited by baddad on December 05, 2004)
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-05-2004, 2:00 PM Reply   
You gotta fill'em all the way up or it sloshes around.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-09-2004, 9:10 AM Reply   
I have the fat sofa and i dont fill mine all the way as its too much weight when we have people in the boat.
It does slosh around a bit but not enough to worry about.
Well made to as we chuck boards on it etc and no damage as yet.
Fills in about 10 mins with a normal fat sack pump and has 6 fill/drain points so its no big deal to fill/drain.
Old     (baddad)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-09-2004, 5:15 PM Reply   
Thanks!