Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (echo_parker)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-04-2008, 3:58 PM Reply   
I'm 6'0 220 what board can I get that is snappy but, will float me.
Old    surfdad            03-05-2008, 5:39 AM Reply   
The "float me" comment makes me thnk of bouyancy issues. I think it was Jerry Price of Shred Stixx that I was having the discussion with where we concluded that bouyancy wasn't as big a factor to wakesurfing as we had all believed. All you have to do is watch someone on a skimboard behind the boat. Those boards are less than an inch thick and typically made from a 5# density foam rather than the 2# density foam that most surfboards are made from.

There are a number of offerings that will work for you. This is just one example - Dennis is 6'2" and 250 pounds. He's riding a TWP Comp X 5.0.

So...let me try and refine your options. Is cost important? Is storing the board in a wakeboard rack important? Are custom graphics important? Will this board be just for you, or will it be communal and if so what are the other folks stats. What is your skill level newb, intermediate, advanced? Lastly, what is our wake like small'ish, medium or large?

Upload
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       03-05-2008, 6:22 AM Reply   
Jeff you give me credit for losing 25 lbs. I wish I had but the reality is I am 275 plus the wetsuit in that picture.
Old     (echo_parker)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-05-2008, 8:53 AM Reply   
Maybe "Float me" was the wrong way to put it. I am riding a hyperlite 4'11 right now it is really fast and snappy. I cant ever seem to let go of the handle with that board. It is good for my wife. This next board is going to be just for me. i would like it to fit on my tower rack. I just bought a Malibu 247 so I will be behind that. I am a big surfer, I love wakesurfing. I would consider myself to have skills. As far as graphics I don't really care. Thank you for your help.
Old    surfdad            03-05-2008, 10:13 AM Reply   
I'm a little concerned if you're having trouble dropping the rope on that 4'11". Have you surfed the 247 yet? Have you got it sacked out pretty well?

Certainly stepping up in size won't hurt. The most common length for bigger guys is 5'4" to 5'6". Finding one that will fit in a rack and is still responsive like you want, may be tough. The Inland Blue "might" fit the bill, but double check the gap in your board rack to be sure. I'm a little concerned about recommending either the Walzer Alpha Large or the Phase 5 Oogle if you're having issues with your current board. I think you're going to need to step up in length. The other options are the popouts in a 5'6"'ish length. I'm really hesitatnt to recommend those to folks that have a strong surf background. Those would be the LF, HL and CWB options in that 5'6" range.

Can you borrow or demo an IS Blue in your area? I'd recommend that first and foremost and if that doesn't feel right, do you have access to a shortboard - say 6'2" or so? Won't fit in your rack, but if you like the feel of a good 'ol PloyU board you may be willing to forego the rack to get the performance you want.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-05-2008, 3:34 PM Reply   
I weigh 220 and started wakesurfing on a Broadcast 5.6. The IS blue is a very good all-round board. It should be a good fit for you and faster than the HL 5.6.

One thing that we see is that first timers need bigger boards. After you figure out how to work the boat wake you can move to smaller boards. I routinely ride a teeny-tiny Trick Boardz Velocity.