Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-19-2015, 11:30 AM Reply   
My tow rig doesn't get driven at night very much. The other day I was driving at night and was somewhat surprised at the lack of light I was dealing with. I decided it was time to swap out the stock headlights for H.I.D's (high intestacy discharge) . The kit was $150 and a simple plug and play.

the HID kit made a big difference. It caused me to take a good look at my headlight lenses. Looking at them under normal conditions (daytime) they don't look that bad (they are clear) but they were starting to cloud but they didn't look like it effected or could effect my light output. But at night with the HIDs going you could see how clouded my lens's were.At night the whole lens looked frosted

I saw like no less the 6 different headlight restoration kits on the shelf at Pep boys. Everything from simple "wipe on" product to kits that had Sanding disks and compound. And knowing from first hand exp how most products that proclaim some sort of quick and easy "Restoration" don't do what I would consider a proper job.

I decided to get the 3m Kit that came with 600 grit 800 grit 3000 grit and a Rubbing compound and a polishing pad. All these pads and sanding disks attach to your drill with a supplied pad holder.
You simply sand your plastic headlights down and polish them. It's a pretty quick and easy job for anyone who has polished your boat or car. In fact you don't even need a drill or the kit. If you have the grits I talked about above and some super duty compound your in business.

I saw like no less the 6 different headlight restoration kits on the shelf at Pep boys. Everything from simple "wipe on" product to kits that had Sanding disks and compound. And knowing form first hand exp how most products that proclaim some sort of quick and easy "Restoration" don't do what I would consider a proper job.

This is the Kit I used
http://3mauto.com/products/headlight...kit-39014.html
here are the Pic's
Pic #1 is what I started with You can see the Fading starting at the upper corners of the headlight
Pic #2 Is it sanded 800 grit
Pic#3 is it after its polished

Last edited by grant_west; 01-19-2015 at 11:35 AM.