Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old     (wakeboarddad01)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-09-2003, 4:23 PM Reply   
I have two daughters that are ages 13 and 9 and they both are little rippers and actually pretty good too. Would you invest in a quality tramp with cage to keep them inside? Need some input from anyone who uses one... Thanks
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-09-2003, 7:35 PM Reply   
ive had a trampoline almost my whole life and i would deffinately say that it helps. personally i think a cage gets in the way, especially if you want to set up a rope and handle to get the most of training on the trampoline. also the cage doesnt really prevent you from gettin hurt that much. its very easy to get tangled in the netting and the netting also takes away from jumping area. just make sure the pad around the springs and the bar is always in place and you should be alright.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-09-2003, 8:41 PM Reply   
Yea, ive have also had a trampoline my entire life, It is great training, and much fun. We have foam over the metal frame, due to several cracked heads...ooops...Also pads over springs, dont do much if you land standing on them, but helps if you hit your head on them.

I would advise against having a "cage" as you put it, it makes you rely on the fact that it will catch you, which if you go out of control after landing a trick you will break right through it, I would recomened just being a good jumper, learn how to control your self, and learn how to stop, to stop just take the shock to your knees, thats the best way to stop. Also learning how to fall is a good idea, it has saved me many times from breaking things. Just be sure you are confortable on the trampoline you are using, ea. trampoline is a lil bit diffrent but its fun!
good luck!!!!

Chris
www.wakeboardcentral.com
Old    ridehyco            12-09-2003, 10:31 PM Reply   
Me and my roommate got a trampoline to practice some. We mostly practiced spins and very few inverts on it. I guess its good for increasing your air awareness. But its hard to duplicate the feeling you get behind a boat.

Now it just sits idle. Now only chicks want to come over and drink beer and jump on it. Dual use :-)

H
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-10-2003, 6:13 AM Reply   
The safety net enclosure has saved my ass many times. Especially when the rope snaps, or over rotating tantrums and landing on your heels. It's never gotten in the way.
Old     (wakeboarddad01)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-10-2003, 5:21 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input. Do you feel it helps you learn to do inverts? I know it helps you with your air awareness but do you think it is a training tool that you just got to have in order to progress? Any suggestions would be appreciated..
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-10-2003, 8:41 PM Reply   
jrod maybe you should check the rope more often.lol.
the trampoline has helped me learn almost every invert, besides the raley. it has also hepled with spins also. it helps teach you how to pass the handle so you are more comfortable with it. also with inverts it helps you in learning to spot your landing as well with being familiar with being upside down. mostly if your not even tryin tricks on the trampoline it helps with being comfortable with the way your body will act in the air, its the same basic feeling as wakeboarding.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-10-2003, 9:15 PM Reply   
Some times i bring our old obrien on the trampoline and practice 3s, its hard to do much else because you dont get much bounce, also what is fun is get a sk8 deck and suvit indys etc.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-10-2003, 11:44 PM Reply   
I bought a trampoline (no net) when I was back at home, and I'm not yet sure how it affects my wakeboarding, but I think it would help with aireal awareness.
But you can some good ones, at costco/sams club, for about $160-$200, I wouldn't get any smaller than 14 feet.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-11-2003, 4:34 PM Reply   
Can anyone whirlybird on the trampoline?
Ive been trying, but i keep coming around and there in the tramploine, SMACK! ow that hurt, so I backflip, then im looking over my back shoulder bringing the rope over my head, im spinning, im flipping, then i land on my side. Any advice??
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-11-2003, 4:34 PM Reply   
Can anyone whirlybird on the trampoline?
Ive been trying, but i keep coming around and there in the tramploine, SMACK! ow that hurt, so I backflip, then im looking over my back shoulder bringing the rope over my head, im spinning, im flipping, then i land on my side. Any advice??

Chris Sontag
www.wakeboardcentral.com
Old    norcal_99            12-11-2003, 6:12 PM Reply   
A lot of the pros train on them.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-11-2003, 8:18 PM Reply   
a whirly on the tramp is actually done exactly the same way it is done on a wakeboard behind the boat, slightly easier because you dont have the pull of the boat. we (myself and chris williams) can do whirly 9s. there isnt anything that cant be done on the trampoline.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-11-2003, 8:21 PM Reply   
start by learning to spin while doing a backflip without the rope. then when your comfortable doing that try it with the rope
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-11-2003, 8:22 PM Reply   
So is my technique all good? or is there anything i should do to help me stick it? like maybe a double up? or spin sooner??
Old    goose69            12-12-2003, 7:37 AM Reply   
Listin to What Ron has to say about how a tramp helped him on learning new tricks and then trying it out on the water. The dudes crazy on the tramp.

Just go to the link and click the last pick on the bottom left.
http://www.numbskullpro.com/ronstar.shtml
Old     (wakeboarddad01)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-13-2003, 6:46 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone,so I guess it is a plus to train on a trampoline. I'm just debating if it is really a must. The one we are looking at is a allyoop 14 foot round double mat with cage and its $1,600. Alot of money to be spent. My girls would one day like to be pro as they are pretty good and only will get better. They ride all year as we are from Florida. Any other suggestions? Has anyone trained with a gymnastic coach on a tramp instead of buying one?
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-13-2003, 6:59 AM Reply   
how d'u do a basic backroll on a tramp??? can do thousands of tantrums but have no idea how to bacckroll. If the backroll rolls off the wake, how does it work on the tramp?
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-13-2003, 10:21 AM Reply   
I think the hs backroll on the wake is a frontflip on the trampoline???
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-13-2003, 4:12 PM Reply   
I would NEVER even think about using a trampoline to try anything even halfway difficult without a net! Exspecially for my daughters. I can do a whirlybird on the tramp. The best thing that helped me is to make sure you throw your arm IN FRONT of your face. Just arch your back, look over your shoulder and throw your arm. The first couple times you try it plan on landing on your knees that makes it easier to try. I've posted this before but here's me and my brother on the tramp. It has some whirlybirds in it.
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=6583
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-13-2003, 8:28 PM Reply   
Yea, we have a rectangle shaped trampoline, and have it sideways, so we start on one side, and know the direction the trick will take us, so falling off the sides is not really a problem, off the front a little bit, if we pull too much. I'll try the mind set of landing on my knees. Thanks!
Chris Sontag
www.wakeboardcentral.com
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-14-2003, 7:31 AM Reply   
Jason:

Have you ever used a 12' tramp? or one with an enclosure? We have a 12' round one at home due to space limitations and Chris wants an enclosure for it because he's nervous doing inverts on it. He has no problem with his 14' one at the island and has never fallen off it. I'm just concerned in buying the enclosure and then he finds it's too confining anyway, money wasted! If he can't practice inverts at home - oh well!

For everyone else on this thread: I think it's one of the best training tools out there, Chris learns most of his tricks on the tramp before taking them to the water. Get the biggest one you can, the 12' ers are a bit too small.
Old     (liquidforce512)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-14-2003, 5:33 PM Reply   
I got a trampoline just a few months ago and it has helped alot on my spins and throwing a tantrum. I had access to a big sand pit that was an old volleyball court. Now the sand doesnt hurt at all. I have fallen off many times with the sand just breaking my fall each time.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-15-2003, 11:08 AM Reply   
Instead of a net you should make it ground level. We dug a pit for out tramp. It works geat. We haven't had a bad accident since the tramp has been at ground level. Before we had a few scratchs and bruises(couple borken toes, borken arm, messed up knees).

My brother used to be gymnastics coach. Gymnasics will help, but the kids won't get enough time on the tramp to get really comfortable with it. However, they will learn the proper way to do flips in a controlled manner.

I wouldn't really reccomned a net/cage except for really small kids. By putting the tramp at gound level you really minimize the risk of a serious injury.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-15-2003, 12:21 PM Reply   
I've considered this. But how long did it take you to dig a hole that big? 14' wide by 3.5' feet deep is a lot of dirt! I think I'll stick with the net either way. So far, it's done nothing but prevent injuries.
Old    yearling            12-15-2003, 1:53 PM Reply   
I use a tramp as my only training. I use it almost every day. In my opinion its the best dry training you can do. When your trying flips start out with no board, and if you learn it the right way everything after that is easy. I started out with backflips fromtflips and so on. And now with much practice, I can do double inverts, whirly birds front flip 7s exetera.

After you learn the basic inverts and spins on foot, a skateboard deck with small snowboard bindings on it is the way to go. Ill take some video tape and try to post it soon.

Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-15-2003, 2:04 PM Reply   
Putting a trampoline in a hole probably would minimize your risk of serious injury. But if your ground is like mine it would increase your risk of MALARIA.
Old     (wakeboarddad01)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-15-2003, 4:19 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone... Any other suggestions you may have would be appreciated... Also when do you think you are ready to learn inverts? They can pretty much jump wake to wake and they can do 180's... They can ride switch and edge really good... Any suggestions?
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-15-2003, 5:59 PM Reply   
I would get confortable doing flips on the trampoline, just so you get used to being upside down. Then when you go for the behind the boat attempt watch as many instructional videos as you can, read what you can so you have an idea of what you are going to try. Also bring a video camera, so you can see what you are doing, and do an anaylsis of your form, with that you can post it on wakepics, and have people see what you are doing good or bad, its helped me b4. Good luck, have fun, and be safe!
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-15-2003, 7:37 PM Reply   
hey rich- ive never had a trampoline any bigger than 12 feet. i know cdubs had a 13 foot one but weve never had a problem with falling off. i know that with my experience i have never liked the cage because it did feel like there was alot less room and i felt that i would get tangled if i were to stretch out too much while inverted and spinning at the same time. but thats jus my opinion. i am a quite a bit taller than chris so he may feel differently. id suggest buying one and keeping the reciept. try it and if you dont like it take it back.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-19-2003, 12:49 PM Reply   
Took forever to dig the pit for the trampoline. 3 guys digging it took us proabably 20 hours each. Approx. 60 hours total. Well worth it. We have a rectangle trampoline - 13x9. Round tramps are much better for practicing wakeboard moves with a rope; however, the rectangle tramp has way more bounce than a circle tramp.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-19-2003, 3:12 PM Reply   
I noticed that too. The rectangle trampolines give you WAY more pop. My cheapy Jump-King kind of sucks.
Old    xtremebordgurl            12-22-2003, 12:11 PM Reply   
Sumthin else that helps a lot, and is alot of fun is going to a gym sometime when they have open gym (our gym does it every friday after 5pm) and a lot of them have huge foam pits with trampolines. They're great cause you can practice your trix right into the foam pit and it doesn't matter how you land. But once you start land'n em you can move to doing them on a trampoline with a handle then to the water. There are also trainers there that can give your girls tips which will help them alot. If your girls are really that serious about it, a gym membership wouldn't hurt. Good luck, and remember its all about hav'n fun!