Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old    hattrick            04-13-2005, 11:03 AM Reply   
Does anyone know how to build a floating grinding rail?}
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-13-2005, 11:38 AM Reply   
they are called sliders.
Old    penny4urthots            04-14-2005, 12:31 AM Reply   
Grinding rail??? Hmmm keep readin threads for sliders or somethin. Unless of course you really want to know about some medevil (sp) torture device?
Old    blind5            04-14-2005, 6:52 AM Reply   
what is wrong with the term rail, in fact i would much rather us rail instead of the lamo term "sliders". sounds like some inline skater term
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-14-2005, 9:29 AM Reply   
Doesn't rail imply it's a support for something? Say people from falling off? Last time I checked there were no people trying to climb on my slider.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-14-2005, 10:05 AM Reply   
Well, I'd rather use the term "backside 5" than "blind 5". Just kidding. I kind of agree with your point...though I don't know many "rails" made of PVC.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-14-2005, 11:21 AM Reply   
Keith this might help a little....

Rails- made of metal or steel, used in snowboarding or skateboarding. "Are you going to hit that rail?"

Sliders- made of PVC or a similar type plastic, used in wakeboarding. "Did you see that new slider at OWC?"

Just a little different terminology.
Old    wakeking933            04-14-2005, 12:33 PM Reply   
i tried to heat up some pvc to bend it but it just burned and got really rough how has anyone else bent theirs
Old    penny4urthots            04-15-2005, 12:05 AM Reply   
I have heard ABS is actually better than PVC if you you want to use "tubular material" for the main sliding surface. I guess PVC gets brittle easier in the sun I am not very educated on the strength properties of plastic so I am not stating it as a fact... Also why do you want to bend it?? Perhaps you are trying to make a curved pool type of coping?? Maybe it is a rainbow slider you are looking to build?? Gravity pretty much helps the ends suspend (creating a natural bend) and to increase that bend you could always screw an "EYE hook" in the bottom of it and put tension on the ends with an anchored rope or something. I am not sure what your application is though, let me know.
Old    lunaraven            04-15-2005, 8:13 AM Reply   
You can bend PVC with a tiger torch and a large vice. Its a little tricky to heat it to the malleable stage without burning a hole in it. Gradual bends in several spots about 15 deg each are your best bet...
Old    blind5            04-17-2005, 7:19 PM Reply   
i wasn't trying to get into the dictionary on the term, just stating the fact that the term "sliders" is a lame term

actually, i would rather use the term backside 5 rather than blind 5.

and fiberon is the best "sliding" material
Old     (tallman)      Join Date: May 2004       04-18-2005, 11:06 AM Reply   
For all you Slider experts I was wondering how wide you built yours. I put together a slider that is 40 feet long but I only used 3" PVC side by side to make it about 6 1/2 -7 inches wide. It's do able, but challenging. What is typically a good width.
Old     (mahaney)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-18-2005, 2:39 PM Reply   
I don't know about other places, but around where i live, PVC is impossible to get in different sizes. ABS however is all over the place. I also know that it is very flexible, and EXTREMELY pressure resistant, whereas PVC will shatter. The PVC sliders i've seen all have wood reinforcements inside, i would imagine ABS wouldn't need any since its so much thicker. and it's also very flexible. I vote ABS all the way. (althought its black and not as visible).

as far as the "slider" vs "grind-rail" debate.. would you rather SLIDE your board or grind it into oblivion?? nuf said.
Old    blind5            04-20-2005, 1:34 PM Reply   
i would rather grind it personally, on fiboron. because pvc and abs suck ass.

as far as width i use two 5 1/4 decking boards side by side
Old     (wake21)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-20-2005, 5:23 PM Reply   
Luke where can I get ABS