Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (elleduke)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-06-2006, 11:06 AM Reply   
This last weekend we noticed that a high pitched whining noise was coming from the engine, Indmar TBI. I think it is coming from the alternator but its hard to tell. I know that the specs on the alternator are 25amps at idle and 70amps at 2,000RPM. I recently added a stereo system but nothing too crazy. I know that from the factory Mastercraft doensn't add additional batteries for amps and lights etc. so I figured the output would be fine to run my system. MTX MXA6004 (Tower speakers) and MXA6001 (subs). Any input or similar experiences would help.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-06-2006, 12:33 PM Reply   
I know alot of high amp alt's whine quite a bit under heavy loads...mine whilll, but it's only noticeable with the enige cover up
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       07-06-2006, 1:12 PM Reply   
You sure the whine is coming from the alt or could it be coming through the speakers
Old     (elleduke)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-06-2006, 1:25 PM Reply   
Ryan, Definitely not the speakers. As it gets louder when I open up the engine cover. With the engine being as loud as it is it is hard to isolate the noise and determine if it is something other than the alternator.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-06-2006, 1:47 PM Reply   
HAs the noise nto alwasy been there? Could it be the sound of air being sucked in?
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-06-2006, 1:55 PM Reply   
Get a small hose or a wrench and hold it the spot you think the noise is coming from and put your ear to the other end. Should help narrow it down.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-06-2006, 4:02 PM Reply   
grease the belt?
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-06-2006, 11:55 PM Reply   
did he say grease the belt.....
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-07-2006, 1:24 AM Reply   
A whine in the alternator can be a sign of a bearing beginning to fail or a problem with the "electronics" rectifier with components failing, stator (outside windings) or rotor (inside windings). In any case it will eventually quit charging. I would pull it off and take it to a repair shop and have it checked and repaired before getting stranded.
Old     (rourker)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-07-2006, 7:02 AM Reply   
I'm w/ George. Most likely electronics. Belts squeal and you can spot a bad belt or if your bearing is failing. Check your batteries, too. Bad batteries that aren't taking a charge will wear out an alternator fast!
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-07-2006, 10:56 AM Reply   
If the noise comes from the alternator then it is either the bearings making noise or the windings making noise due to the current vibrating the coils.

If the noise is from the electrical section (windings) then it will be a function of the amount of current the alternator is cranking out. I would expect the noise to dramatically drop when the batteries were fully charged and the current drops. The noise means that the coils are vibrating which means that they could fail due to metal fatigue or possibly wear off the enamel insulation and short out. Also, I have never heard winding noise that would be noticable above normal engine noise so I doubt that this is the cause.

Bearing noise is much more likely. In some cases a ball bearing can get fairly noisey and still last a long time. On the other hand, if the fan belt is too tight you could be wearing the bearing out and it will fail soon.

If the alternator is on a belt by itself you can isolate the problem by simply slipping the belt off the alternator seeing if the noise goes away. You can run for quite a while (a few hours) without the alternator if you keep the stereo off.

I have observed a lot of boats that have a high pitched whine that comes from the engine's air intake. Something in the air intake whistles.