Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 05, 2004

Old     (scottyb)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-27-2004, 12:13 PM Reply   
What is better a rider that can take a few tricks big or a person who can do alot of tricks technically but not very high???
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-27-2004, 12:19 PM Reply   
All of the above, but with style..
Old    maverick_gear            01-27-2004, 12:40 PM Reply   
basically Vandall or Pdiddy are it.
Old    murrayair            01-27-2004, 12:52 PM Reply   
Overall I would more like to see a rider that can do a few tricks big cause for me it's just more fun to watch. But i think the rider who can do more tricks, albiet not as big, has more potentiall because they can learn how to take those tricks bigger easily.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-27-2004, 4:02 PM Reply   
anther way that is cool is to grab any basic trick like mike schwenne does. every type of grab makes a totally different looking trick.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-27-2004, 4:38 PM Reply   
We run our Indiana NWL events based on:
1/3 difficulty
1/3 style
1/3 amplitude
Thats a big score on going BIG but you can use up alot of real estate going big. Going big kinda bleeds into style too. Y'all post back and tell me what you think about above statement. Your response would help me out.
Old    yearling            01-27-2004, 4:38 PM Reply   
I think you need a little bit of both. Going big for me isnt really cool unless if its smooth. People that jerk their 3's around just dont look that cool. Its awsome to be able to pull techy tricks too. I dont really think you can have one without the other.
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-27-2004, 4:57 PM Reply   
How much does that mountain weigh?
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-27-2004, 5:25 PM Reply   
i don't know if one is better, but brian's comment in his thread about the day in the life of mike schwenne got me back to wondering about this.

i've noticed that it's difficult to make spins that are more than 5s, and some mobes, etc., look good. especially to the untrained eye and without slow-mo.

it seems if you want to have a trick look really stylish and nice, you can't do too much during it. it needs to be slower and big.

anything more than a 5 to me almost looks silly - not that it's not a serious trick, but the person is spinning so fast it doesn't look like anything. especially when they're done w2w.

same with a lot of mobes. without any particular style to distinguish them it can be difficult to tell them apart. just looks like the guy went up, did something crazy and came down. you know it was tech, but what the heck was it?
Old     (scottyb)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-27-2004, 5:36 PM Reply   
I agree it is hard to tell what some of the pros are pulling sometimes without slow-mo.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-27-2004, 5:40 PM Reply   
I agree. They have to be done big and slow or some tricks just look messy. Vandall has the coolest 7s. No slow motion needed.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-27-2004, 5:54 PM Reply   
As far as watching I prefer slow, smooth spins with lots of grabs. It's a bonus if you can take it huge like Randy Harris. That's what I prefer; however I also love watching Harf or Watson pull a smooth w2w 9 any day.

As for my own riding I strive for that smooth landing on every trick. Landing a clean move blind just gives me a stupid high. Of course it sure doesn't happen all the time but hey, it's what I try to do! I also like going big too though. I just wish my body could take it.

Either way it's open to your own interpretation. That's why I do this sport. No one can tell me how something should be done or what tricks I should throw. It's up to me to decide.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-27-2004, 6:01 PM Reply   
Best statement I have ever read on this topic, Blabelmooch! What he said!
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-27-2004, 11:05 PM Reply   
Yep I'm with Blabelmooch, well said.
Though I love going big, and you have to go big to do some tricks, tech spins are what are cool to me.
Watch a section of Colin Wrights riding closely, that stuff is so difficult, yet he does it so smoothly.

Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-28-2004, 6:51 AM Reply   
Thanks!

I agree, Colin Wright is amazing. (Double grab backside 5?)
Watching him ride inspired me to learn toeside blind tricks.
Old    swass            01-28-2004, 7:01 AM Reply   
BLabel, you have mail.

Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-28-2004, 8:53 AM Reply   
Ok Blabel- Since were on the subject to toeside blind tricks. Little advice here needed: I can do switch and regular toeside backside 180's, but can't seem to get it around to 3, just can't seem to get the leverage, any pointers?
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-28-2004, 5:57 PM Reply   
switch ts backside?

I only do my 3's wrapped. I haven't tried the handle pass yet, it seams like I'g get hung up.

Are you trying them wrapped or with the pass?
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-28-2004, 10:33 PM Reply   
I don't have a wrap handle, so its passed. All I know is that on the ts bs 3 is to get the pass early, well when the summer rolls around, I try and get a hold of a wrap handle, and learn it that way first.
Old    du540            01-29-2004, 9:50 AM Reply   
I'll take STYLE over anything else every time. I just get more from watching a biiiiiig slllloooooow Stalefish to blind than watching a quick "flaily" KGB.

Big, Slow and grabbed wins out every time for me.

Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-29-2004, 10:16 AM Reply   
Are you coming back to SD? If so, we should just ride together and see who gets it first! I should start riding again in April (Knee).
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-29-2004, 12:07 PM Reply   
I'm hoping to come back to the states in october, after some contests here, and if my visas are ok, but it'll probably orlando (fingers crossed).
Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-29-2004, 4:06 PM Reply   
I'm with REM Big Slow and a good solid Grab
yeah
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-13-2004, 6:21 AM Reply   
I much prefer watching huge air than technical splendor. Technical tricks are great and really elevate the sport, but the huge air is awing to me. I can understand how someone can learn wtow 9, but i don't understand how Gerry Nunn can land that huge batwing off the double, or how the vandall throws those huge 3s and 5s in Mayday, or how Murray pulls off a huge tweaked backroll into a 360(detention), or how Shiparo goes so huge on the vulcan, or how Mark Kenney threw that huge raley(you know the one I talking about). I could go on and on.