Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    lukem            05-01-2003, 10:12 PM Reply   
i just got a new 02 x star this year, this is the first wakeboarding boat that i have had. i was wondering if all the towers sway on the mc or even all the boats some. when i say sway i mean side to side, its not terrible bad but i was just wondering. and this might be another dumb question, is it cool to leave your boards on the board racks going down the highway?

go easy on me i am a newbie
Old    nectar75            05-02-2003, 9:02 AM Reply   
Luke, The swaying seems a bit weird. I have the same boat and have never noticed any swaying. The best thing to do is to have the dealer take a look at it.
I would not recommend driving down the freeway with the boards on the racks.
We only drive with the boards on the racks when we go to a local lake which is a few minutes from my house. The drive is all residential and speeds do not exceed 35mph.
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-02-2003, 9:41 AM Reply   
I had a Prostar with an 02 ZeroFlex tower and now have an 03 X2 and both towers were/are rock solid. You should get it checked out. Have you noticed any damage to the gelcoat/hull where the tower is mounted?
Old     (mc_driver)      Join Date: Jan 2002       05-02-2003, 9:51 AM Reply   
Maybe the tower bolts have come loose. In the first 3 months of having my boat, the tower mounting bolts became loose twice - first time I had the dealer tighten them, during the first oil change. I did it the last time. Now I check them..maybe once a month. But you'll know, the tower just does not sound right. If there's major sway, well.....lets leave that to the dealer
Old    lukem            05-02-2003, 12:05 PM Reply   
I think i am going to take it up to the dealer, or call up there, i was wondering if there is any torque specs. it is about 2 hours to the dealer, so if i could do it my self that would be fine. i looked at it yesterday and there is nothing on the gelcoat or anything, is i better get that fixed before the next ride.
but about the boat racks. So it wouldnt be that safe to go about 25 miles on the highway (55mph) with boards on the rack?
thanks for the help guys
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-02-2003, 12:15 PM Reply   
would you drive behind a boat that had boards in the racks going 55?...i wouldn't. you might get away with it, but you might end up with serious charges and big damages, too.
Old     (dfred)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-02-2003, 1:15 PM Reply   
OUrs was a little loose after about 25hrs. We called the dealer and asked for torque specs, the answer we got was "as tight as you can get them". You will need two people to tighten them down, but it is not hard.
Old    fff88            05-02-2003, 1:24 PM Reply   
Why do you want to drive with your boards in the racks? Not only could they get splattered bugs and stuff on them, If they fly out they could damage your boat, someone else's car, or life. What if for some reason one flew out and struck a motorcyle rider. PLEASE do not drive with boards in your racks. Just throw them on the boat floor.
Old    lukem            05-02-2003, 3:08 PM Reply   
for one reason why, is only 2 boards sit on the floor, and i dont put them on the seat. took the boat out once and a kid had his board on the seat and it cut it. i like to keep my boat in good condition, and there is no room for 2 or more boards in my jeep. that would be luck for the motorcycle rider huh? (and my board)
Old    fff88            05-02-2003, 3:16 PM Reply   
Well, i certainly understand your space issues. However, do you feel no obligation for the safety of others? As a father and a motorist who may share the road with you, i do not like that last line you wrote and feel it is irresponsible. It is of course your call and i mean no ill will towoard you and yours. Do what you like, if i see you on the road with boards up, i'll just move away from you.
Old     (jjared)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-02-2003, 8:36 PM Reply   
I had a board come out of the rack while strapped when we hit a double up. It fell on someone in the rear seat. You probably wouldn't hit anything that hard on the road but they can and will come out even when strapped.
Old     (mc_driver)      Join Date: Jan 2002       05-03-2003, 12:46 AM Reply   
Wow!! I didn't realize there was that little space in an X-Star....but, then again, probably one of the main reasons I went with an X9 - I've had as many as 6 boards on my floor.

-Salty87: those were my main thoughts at about 12:00n, but I figured I'd let someone else say it.
Old     (airfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-03-2003, 10:45 AM Reply   
What? I have 4 boards(up to a 141cm) and a skyski in my 02 Xstar. They are all stored in the trunks so I can go in and get a burger Without anyone walking by and seeing what I got. Here's how it goes:
Skyski, remove foil and set foil on boar and slide in under observer seat. Boards go in rear trunks the jackets and stuff go on top. Granted I removed my tanks and installed sacks to get this storage. Search for a old post for more detail photos.

Old    wakelvr            05-03-2003, 10:47 AM Reply   
Wow!! We were in that same position 2 years ago. We bought the X9 thinking we wanted the extra room. 2 years later we sold the X9 to buy an X2/xstar. IRONIC.......

Luke: We have plenty of room in our tow vehicle for boards, but if you find yourself running out of room, lay your boards on the floor in the cabin and rap them in towels or something so they don't move around. Our wakeskate and smaller boards fit in the storage compartments in the back, and we can even fit one under the observer seat. I would definitely not tow with them in their boardracks.

Also, our tower does not sway, but it will vibrate a little bit, just like any other tower.

Good luck. You'll love the wake on that xstar!

Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-03-2003, 6:02 PM Reply   
Luke, Someone posted above that you should tighten the tower mounts as tight as you can get them. I don't think that's right. Your tightening stainless steel bolts into aluminium. If you really crank down you'll strip out the mounts. Just snug them down, it doesn't take a lot. I try to check them every few weeks. Hope this helps.
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-04-2003, 12:20 PM Reply   
Luke,
Buy a couple of board bags or wrap towels around the boards. I can arrange 4 boards in the floor of my x2 with no problems at all.
Old    lukem            05-04-2003, 2:37 PM Reply   
By the way, in my last post the last comment was only a joke. i dont keep my boards on the tower, but i didnt know if you could or not. i took a look at the bolts and i tightened them dowm, but i didnt crank on them. i didnt know if it would crack the gell coat if i went to tight.
i went out last weekend for the first time, i love the wake. we are just riding stock for now. it is great
airfreak- That is a sweet set up on them fat sacs