Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old    d_fresh            04-11-2006, 4:30 PM Reply   
I've installed a Wakeair tower on my boat. It was recomended to me, to install an additional backing plate along with the stock hardware. So I fabed them from 1/2" plywood and sealed them with fiberglass resin. What is the best adhesive with the least amount of mess to adhere them under the deck. Marine-tex, 5200, ?
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-11-2006, 4:51 PM Reply   
They have to sit flush to the underside. You can fill the void with bono, and glass them in. If they are not flush and the is a void between the plywood and the underside of the deck you will crack the gelcoat when you tighten the bolts. Another thing, how old is the boat. Your top deck and hull are held together with pop rivits and sometimes a gussett is needed to connect the hull and deck. Remember the older boats weren't ment to have a tower. If you would like pics let me know. Extra glass is cheap insurance.
Old    d_fresh            04-11-2006, 6:49 PM Reply   
'98 Prostar 205
Old     (drifter1136)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-11-2006, 7:03 PM Reply   
when I got my tower installed on my 94 sport they used a product called kitty hair and an aluminum backing plate
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-11-2006, 7:05 PM Reply   
MasterCraft uses aluminum backing plates on ALL boats even if they do not recieve a tower. That is just in case the hull recieves a tower at a later date. I would talk with your local dealer to see
if he has access to those backing plates. They can be adhered under the gunnels and under the deck up front with 5200 then drilled to meet your tower needs. I would certainly consider aluminum over wood. There is a reaason your boat has NO WOOD.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-13-2006, 2:26 PM Reply   
doug, i added a tower to my 94 mc 205 -- i made aluminum backing plates -- no biggie at all -- look at the new bu's --they have no backing plate at all --just small washers.. they may however re-inforced the glass slightly -- but no backing plates.. like richard stated, if you use wood, make sure there is no void inbetween the two. glassing extra support was not needed on my boat -- however i added a tower to a frieds 94 euro f3 and had to glass in a little extra support -- but on your 98 i would think you should be ok w/ a small piece of aluminum -- maybe 3x4 or so
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-14-2006, 7:11 AM Reply   
The plate acts like a giant washer spreading the forces over a greater area. My New Dimension came with aluminum plates and a quart can of kitty hair and hardner. Mix some up, butter the top with it and press it into place. It will fill the voids of the contours and then you can redrill the holes when it drys. (about a half day)