Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-24-2006, 7:52 AM Reply   
Thanks for your help
Jason and I took his MC 209 out to Lake Anderson this weekend to find the leak in his boat. He asked for help on W/W to find the leak way back but never got a chance to attack it. This weekend we went for it. Here is the orignal thread http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/286762.html

We used this thread to help find the problem. Phyclone talked about it leaking from the swim platform brakets. Thats exactley where it was gushing in from.

It looked like a leaky packing gland at first. We diped it in the water and yes the shaft was dripping real fast 2 drop's a second. So we pulled it out of the water and replaced the packing gland. BTW I have never done it before but it was real easy. We noticed it was wet in side the transome aera were water shouldnt be. It was real high on the transome. Jason had said "some guy on W/W said his boat was leaking from the platform brakets" it looks like my'n is leaking from there as well. So we diped the boat back in the water and low and behold thats the culpret. Lots of water was rushing in from there. It depended on how the boat was sitting in the water if water came in or not. If the boat was un weighted and the swim platform was out f the water it woulnt leak. Jason orignally told me water only seem's to comes in when we are stoped and partying. He orignally thought it was coming in from the air intakes or the stereo remote, I was like NO Way the water would have to be super high to come in from that point. As soon as a few people stand in the back of the boat the swim platform brakets go under water and water starts coming in.

We took the boat home and ground out all the broken and cracked fiberglass and then made a new level even surface and layed 3 layers of resin and woven row fiberglass and a finish coat of colord resin to make a clean smooth surface to bolt to. Then we re drilled new swim platform braket holes and squeezed silicone into the holes and ran our new stainless steel bolt's threw and tightend everyhing up. We didnt get a chance to water test it because the silicone was still drying but it looks nice and sealed. Thansk for your help.

BTW: I would have taken pic's and posted them but the stock fiberglass work in Jason's boat was so ulgy I couldnt bring my self to doing it. I like how the factory installed the speedo tube's drill a hole shove the tube in the hole and then gobb a tone of silicone around the hole. Looked like a mountain and it still leaked. LOL
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-24-2006, 10:44 AM Reply   
Oh Grant, I had the same issues, only not nearly as bad a leak in the area as you described. I have to comment also that in the area's the customer doesn't normally see, it looks like the factory was running on a friday afternoon syndrome. Just gob the stuff on and get out quick and hit the bar! The glass job and related attention to detail was a little less than desired.

I'd say probably the biggest change I made in this area was to have new brackets made for the swim platform. Got a couple of SS jobbers made. I don't really ever have a need to take the platform off, so this works for me.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-24-2006, 1:19 PM Reply   
First of all I would like to thank everyone that helped with advice for changing out my packing. Second of all, Phyclone, thanks for the heads up. Lastly I would like to thank Grant for killing his entire Sunday helping me to solve these problems. His workmanship is outstanding and I am convinced that the swim platform will be able to hold as many hotties that we can possibly fit on the platform without leaking. I also agree with Grant that the quality of fiberglass work on my Mastercraft leaves a lot to be desired, hidden or not, it was unimpressive.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-24-2006, 2:21 PM Reply   
No problem, glad I could help.