Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-22-2009, 9:42 AM Reply   
Has anyone ever modified their existing Bimini top? We have a pretty big one on our maxum that attaches to the outside of the boat under the window. Well we got our tower installed and I can't raise it without scratching the tower. It will fit under the top of the tower no problem. I have two pin mounts on my windsheild but that raises the height about a foot and narrows the spread about 6 inches. It's a great top and don't want to have to buy a new one. Just curious what you guys may have done to make it work.
Thanks
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-22-2009, 10:23 AM Reply   
I have modified ours.

I have a Monster Tower MT2 and we wanted a bimini top. But the legs swoop in so much it gets really narrow for a bimini.

I ordered one that was in between the windshield width (where it was going to mount) and the width that I need to get inside the tower, about a foot difference.

Then I cut the top tubes to make it fit inside the tower and carefully bent the angles to make the bottom width wide enough to reach the windshield mounts. I also ended up cutting a couple of inches off the main supports to make it a little shorter.

It worked out great. The top looks good and functions great. The only issue is that I also have tower speakers and I can't fold the tower with it all connected. So I pull the pins where it mounts to the windshield and drop it lower, fold it over then pin it back to the windshield.

But, yes - you can cut the tubes, bend the angles (carefully by hand) and cut and re-rivet the connector pieces if you need to.
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-22-2009, 5:42 PM Reply   
I narrowed one by cutting about 4" out of the bows in the center. Then used 1/2 electrical conduit as a sleeve in the center and pop rivits to secure the bows back together. Worked great. local canvas shop cut top down for $40. Could not even tell bows were modified.
Old     (toneus)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-22-2009, 8:02 PM Reply   
Start with the bimini fully collapsed to the rear of the tower. You can attach the rear straps to their attachment points first. Next, raise the front bar (only the front bar!!!!) and pull it forward through the tower. The bimini will begin to expand. The important part is to leave the rear bar down until the bimini is extended. Now attach the front straps.

If this didn't work, you may have the bimini mounted backwards. The rear bar of the bimini should be the one that goes all the way down to the mounts on the gunwale. The front bar mounts to the rear bar, and not the boat itself.

When you bring both the front and rear bars up at the same time the bimini raises too soon and will hit the tower.

At least that's what I figure out out to raise mine without it hitting the tower.