Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2007

Old     (board2death)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-10-2007, 9:09 AM Reply   
Jealous maybe, but not angry! It was interesting to see on an earlier poll how many here have never bought a new boat. Who the heck can afford a new boat?? After buying boards, bindings, rope handle and vest I already had to refi my home!!! j/k
If I bought a new boat i'd need to work so much to pay for it I wouldn't have time to ride or put gas in it.

Boat manufacturers take note!! Your pricing yourselves out of the price range of the core group.
Old     (iukekini)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-10-2007, 9:52 AM Reply   
Jealous for sure, but there is something really cool about rolling into the cove I ride in with the oldest boat (88 ski nautiqe) on the water and just throwing down better than everyone with their $60k boats.

What makes me angry is the people with the really nice boats who know nothing about wakeboarding or boating etiquette and don't care to take the time to learn.

The trick is you just have to make friends with these people and teach them about wakeboarding, they will love you for it and you will get to ride behind sweet boats without the monthly payment.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-10-2007, 9:56 AM Reply   
i just stand on the dock with my gear and a 10 dollar bill sometimes and try and flag down a nice boat for a pull, lol.

but it is nice too have more steez behind an 02 crossover than an 07 x-star.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-10-2007, 10:03 AM Reply   
im the same way jm. its great rollin in all old school then blowing the other guys out of the water with skills and quality of wake!
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-10-2007, 10:23 AM Reply   
I agree with you guys. Rolling with more style, more frequency, and a more dialed in wake feels sooo much better when you are behind an oldie but a goodie.

Not to say that some day I want to be the old guy with the sic ride on the lake...
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-10-2007, 6:30 PM Reply   
i cant believe the haters on here... who cares what somebody does with their own boat??? the poll says now that almost 50% of wakeworlders who took the poll, get mad when someone has a nice boat, but cant board that well??? haters.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-10-2007, 6:36 PM Reply   
i dont get mad. i can agree with some jealousy. Who doesnt want a brand new boat? You cant tell me that it feels good rolling in with a nice boat. We all started somewhere. My dad bought our X-9 brand new in 02 and it was the first time i had ever wakeboarded. I hope people didnt look at me like some dumb kid with money who can't ride.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-10-2007, 6:40 PM Reply   
I agree with JM; "What makes me angry is the people with the really nice boats who know nothing about wakeboarding or boating etiquette and don't care to take the time to learn."

I mainly go to the Sac river and there are just a bunch of idiots out there, cut in front of ppl at the dock and cant put thier boat in, the ones who roll right behind you while youre ridin, throwin wakes in the no wake zones when your boats docked, etc....
Old     (ecoff12)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-10-2007, 6:43 PM Reply   
no no no...i get mad when they have like a 70 thousand dollar boat and all they do is tube...that gets me angry
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-10-2007, 6:46 PM Reply   
yea, defnately. my friends friend has an '07 MasterCraft X-Star. They fill the ballast up [not knowing what they are!] hit the river and tube, and what tops it off is that its a skinny river and tubers swerve all over the place.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-10-2007, 6:51 PM Reply   
Bad etiquite is definately a no no... I agree with that. Tubers belong out in the main channel of the lakes where the water is crappy... it should be a law that if there is any kind of glass... no tubes allowed.

New boaters around the five mile per hour zones make me angry also... i love when they plow at 15 mph by the docks
Old     (ashleyo)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-10-2007, 7:19 PM Reply   
There are a bunch of girls on my lake that have these beautiful SAN's and they are tubing! There is nothing more irritating than to see an amazing boat like that go to waste for tubers. I agree with you guys, it's just jealousy not so much anger.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-10-2007, 7:23 PM Reply   
Sanger?? Sangers Are Replicas Of Supremes. I have an '03 Supreme v208. I'm Glad i atleast have a relatively nice boat, but i regret not buyin a Nautique instead, [the new nautique styles ugly] but i love the wake on those.
Old     (kel_dub)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-10-2007, 7:24 PM Reply   
I have to say rolling in (or should i say floating) and killing it in an older boat is awesome. It shows how much you really love the riding and the sport as a whole, not just out there to "look" like a wakeboarder. Coming from an old ski boat to a newer wakeboard boat, I feel absolutely blessed that my family is willing to sacrifice so much time and money to allow myself and others to enjoy ourselves even more when out riding. Regardless of what Is available, just getting out riding with good friends is the REAL reason we all do what we do.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-10-2007, 7:28 PM Reply   
yea. deffnately. but if i were to roll in an older boat it wouldnt say as much cus im not good enough to show up the ppl in the nicer boats, im intermediate/advanced [i guess].
Old     (ashleyo)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-10-2007, 7:38 PM Reply   
Trevor,

SAN's are Super Air Nautiques. I didnt mean Sangers =)
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-10-2007, 7:48 PM Reply   
o. yea. now i look really stupid. nautiques have my favorite wake though. they just shoot you straight up! who needs distance?
Old     (jwr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-10-2007, 8:07 PM Reply   
There are some kids on our lake in a new Malibu wakesetter, they can't do anything, and they drive around in circles draging riders behind them. So when we try to be diplomatic and introduce ourselves, they totally ignore us, those are the people with nice boats that make me angry.

And the only purpose for tubes on a wake boat is for watching riders, and photographing/filming.
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-10-2007, 8:48 PM Reply   
i like being able to go out in my old boat and ride just as good as the people in brand new or relatively brand new boats, when my wake is less than half the size of theirs
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-11-2007, 12:49 AM Reply   
kellen... you brought a tear to my eye...
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-11-2007, 4:54 AM Reply   
If it floats and it can pull....it's cool. Just plain and simple. I have a nice 03 boat. Love it like the day I bought it. But I like taking my Grandfathers old 1962 Lake and Sea glass boat with the big fins in the back out a few times a year. No one is laughing, but everyone is looking. It is a nice classy looking boat. Won a few first places with it at shows. Fun to have. I had seen a wakegirl on a local lake with an old boat from the 70's(my guess) with a big outboard and a 10 foot pole. Killing it harder than me (at that time anyway)
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-11-2007, 5:33 AM Reply   
Someone has to buy the boat new before you can buy it used. Look at it this way. They eat the up front depreciation for you, and your welcome. I don't even think about what other people drive and what their skill set to cost of boat ratio is. Too much negative energy.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-11-2007, 6:31 AM Reply   
Well some of us that came in to the sport too late like me, I'm 38, we dont look good behind the boat. The next best thing is look good driving the boat, lol... Seriously though, dont hate on anyone, todays tubers are tomorrows wakeboarders. Plus some of us have to work to buy all those $50K+ boats so you young guys killing it can enjoy yourselves in them. Thank your Dad or other family members for working instead of playing so you can have a boat to ride behind regardless of what it is.
Old    kidrik            04-11-2007, 6:58 AM Reply   
I agree with Roger.......who cares what anyone drives or rides behind. There's people with nice boats who can't ride, and those who can. People with "older" boats who can ride, and those who can't. So what. Everyone's situation is different, and I bet that everyone out there riding, regardless of what or why, is hopefully having fun and trying to improve. All of the best riders in the world had to get up for the first time, look awkward riding switch, etc...., and I bet they, or anyone just starting out today, would hope that people who were better or had better "stuff" were'nt cruisin' around judging them? So next time you roll into that bay or where ever, instead of being so proud you're better than the guy behind the better boat, just wave and maybe tie up and have a beer, etc........? Just my thoughts. Sorry, that was some good ass coffee!!!

Oh, and all who have newer boats right now, what happens in a few years? I know I can't keep upgrading........Why? you selling?
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-11-2007, 8:51 AM Reply   
I have a buddy who is in this exact situation everyone is talking about. His dad is loaded and he and his brother both ride new duramaxes lifted, have a houseboat on Lake McLure, CA (which they slept on twice last summer), a new Malibu 247 wakesetter, and they dont wakeboard at all. One of the brothers does a lil bit but not much. You think i would be jealous but no. Because they are very cool and take me out riding almost whenever i want. they are always down to go and pay for all the gas, food, and drinks. I always offer to chip in, but they dont take my money. So im sure that those people that tube or just sit there would love to see someone who can ride good behind their boat. I'm by far not a godd rider. So when my buddy Kellen gets behind my boat and throws down rolls 360's, big floatin grabbed tantrums,poked out 180's, scarecrows, and other things,i love it. it makes my boat look good hahahaha. A lot better than what i make it look like lol.
Old     (iukekini)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-11-2007, 9:08 AM Reply   
Rik I agree with you that attitudes and judging others ruin the sport and certainly the community out on the water, boats aren’t big enough for egos. I take time to make sure that I know everyone out on the water where I ride, no matter their skill level or price of boat. We party with everyone, the people with the i/os and the x-stars.

My point is that wakeboarding has become such an image driven sport where many people get caught up with what boat they are riding in, how many tower speakers they have, and how big their wake is, they forget what it’s really about. It’s nice to remind those people that you can have a great time out on the water without all of that stuff and still throw down.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-11-2007, 9:11 AM Reply   
whats that quote???

A bad day on the water is way better than a good day at work?

(not sure if that is actually it but it will work lol)
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-11-2007, 9:26 AM Reply   
The people who hate on people with nice boats that have tubes is just plain ignorance. How do you know that person who owns/drives the boat doesn’t kill it behind a board? I say this because I wakeboard after work or in the early AM. The weekends are reserved mainly for my family so I bring out the tube for my daughter, niece and nephews. Not all people who buy wakeboard boats wakeboard it’s a fact, come to accept it. Not saying that I dont wakeboard behind my boat because I do but people buy boats for more than just wakeboarding.

quote:

My point is that wakeboarding has become such an image driven sport where many people get caught up with what boat they are riding in, how many tower speakers they have, and how big their wake is, they forget what it’s really about. It’s nice to remind those people that you can have a great time out on the water without all of that stuff and still throw down.

Couldnt have said it any better.

(Message edited by Pierce Bronkite on April 11, 2007)
Old     (cbass)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-11-2007, 9:32 AM Reply   
So what if you roll in to your favorite cove in a brand new 23' malibu and then you get out and rip it up? How do you all feel about that? Or what about extreme tubers.....they need big wakes too!
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-11-2007, 9:58 AM Reply   
NO HATERS! like I said before. It's all good. If it floats and tows...it is cool...new or old. No one should look down on the next guy for what he is driving...new or old. It does not matter one bit. Now for tubers....fun recreation when the water is chop..who cares...rip it on a tube. But when ignorant drivers are going the wrong way constantly pulling tubes. That is annoying for eveyone else on the water (sail boats, wakeboarders, pontoon parties) Half of the drivers pulling the tubes are trying to do the spotters job and not paying attention to what is in front of them. And yes...it typically happens more often with the tubers. Tubers have rights to the lake, but not when it endangers others in the process. That is the main reason boarders, sailors, fisherman, pontoon partiers dislike tubers and say bad things about them. Am I right? So if you tube...respect others who are out on the water. Don't cut in front of a wakeboat...even if you are at the legal distance..it is just not nice.
Old     (board2death)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-11-2007, 10:17 AM Reply   
I think it matters NOT what boat you're riding behind, as long as you're happy with it-

More of us would be riding behind a new boat IF they weren't so OVERPRICED!!!! How many among us can afford a brand new pimping SAN or MasterCraft or Sanger, Malibu or whatever. I think the manufacturers have lost sight of who it is that actually uses all the new"stuff" they put on the newer boats like on board ballasts, towers ect. I understand it takes some R & D which costs them some coin but seriously, does a boat need to cost $50K plus?????? Remember just a few short years ago the same boats were costing us $30K plus, and a few years before that they were $25K plus

This is the reason you see the family tubing behind a SAN. They're the few that can afford it!!!
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-11-2007, 2:01 PM Reply   
I agree it's not about what kind of boat it's how much fun your having. Even though I can only do a few slides and grabs I still can throw down more than the one set of people who have a wakeboat on the lake I ride, all that matters is having fun, and sure making people in the 50k boat stop and watch even though I know I'm not even that good is fun too.
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-11-2007, 3:32 PM Reply   
That was my suggestion for the poll, I'm glad it got such a good response.
No matter what you have, someone else will always have something better.
Old     (kevin_lsv23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-11-2007, 9:17 PM Reply   
Last I checked my boat has three tow hooks and only one is on the tower.
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-12-2007, 4:09 AM Reply   
I see alot of people mentioning the tubers, who I don't mind if they stay off the glass and pay attention, but no one mentioning the people that really tick me off.

Idiots on Jet Skis. "Let's do figure eights!!! YIPEE!!!" Nobody gets worse tunnell vision than these guys. And what I really hate is that when they come into the small cove/no wake zone where my son swims doing fifty, my Bayliner won't catch them. That's when I try like hell to get the registration but that's hard to do when they're flying by.

Last year I had one try to zoom right in front of the boat when I was riding. All of a sudden my buddy pulling me swerves and I look up to see a Jet Ski sitting dead right in front of the boat. The thing stalled, makes it easier to catch, so I let go of the rope and rode ride up to him.
I was giving him a pretty good piece of my mind before my board ever slowed down. By the time my friends got back to me we were already being pretty civil and hopefuly the guy'll be more careful in the future.
You should really have to get liscensed to drive one of those things.

As far as being jealous of other boats, yeah I'd like a nice wakeboat and I'll have one eventualy. 'Till then, I haven't ever met someone who owned one that wasn't more than willing, even pumped, about giving someone a pull. Even though I'm not very good, seems like people are flattered someone else would want to ride behind their boat.
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-12-2007, 4:11 AM Reply   
One more thing about the jet skiiers. If they'll get behind me when I'm riding to try and hit my wake, I bet you guys with the really nice wakes must have them trailing you like seagulls once you've thrown out a cracker.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-12-2007, 5:43 AM Reply   
Kenneth..I totally agree with everything you say about PWC's. I own two of them, but I do not do donuts with them. Or cut people off. I had a couple trailing me last year. While I was towing someone and while I was being towed. I gave them a few pieces of my mind. I swear they were probably 10 or 12 years old. In Michigan you have to have to be 16 years old with a Drivers License and been through a boaters saftey course. But I still see them out there. I let my friend take my GTX out a couple years ago. Saw him doing donuts on the water from my boat. I went over and cussed him out for doing so. Just because it is 10 feet and less (PWCS) does not give them rights to do tight turns. They have to go consistantly counter clockwise like everyone else on the water. We could gripe about fisherman too. I had one cross diagonally across the water at 70 mph with total disregard for the path I was pulling a boarder. He just wanted to race to the launch. PMO!