Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-25-2003, 11:03 AM Reply   
I have a feeling that this thread won’t catch on but it may make a point. So many times I have seen people post how they got a fully loaded boat for what seems like a ridiculous price. Or people make snide comments as “I wouldn’t pay anything over X amount of dollars for that boat” when their suggested price is so far below MSRP I can’t understand how any dealer would agree to it.

So here is my challenge. For those who are claiming they got a screaming deal on their boat and want to show off their bargaining skill, then prove it. Proof can easily be made by scanning or taking a picture of your contract with all the listed options and the final price and then posting it on this thread. Of course I would expect people to edit out any identifying information so no one can steal their identity. Anyone up to the challenge?
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       02-25-2003, 11:13 AM Reply   
I won't go through the trouble of scanning docs.
And my boat was a dealer leftover. (Does that count?)

2001 Toyota S22, v-drive, 0 hrs, 3 year warranty,
In the wrapper, $20k (no tower, no ballast)

What do I win!!???
Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-25-2003, 12:26 PM Reply   
I got an 02XStar with the reverse black gel coat, Clarion 6.5" tower speakers, set of 4 tower lights, tandem axle trailer brand new with less than 1 hr on it out the door for $41K (including taxes).

My boat does not have a heater, bimini or binding pump but is otherwise loaded.
Old    bigd            02-25-2003, 12:47 PM Reply   
I know how you can get to use a fully loaded aircraft carrier for 4 years and not have to pay a dime. In fact they'll pay you! You'll even have access to jet aircraft!
Old     (aquaholic)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-25-2003, 1:48 PM Reply   
A friend of mine just had an 82' ex-coast guard boat given to him. It is in good running condition. He had to agree to re-paint it. I'd say that's the deal of the century.

(Message edited by aquaholic on February 25, 2003)
Old    lucky            02-25-2003, 2:17 PM Reply   
'82 Ski Nautique 12k, Brand New engine 3 yr. warranty, new floor, new upholstery, new electric, new 4 blade, new rudder, new stripes and decals, new carpet, new electric. No payments!!!! Added Perfect Pass, stereo, and tower.
Old    trigx5            02-25-2003, 2:49 PM Reply   
Big dad,
The answer to the riddle is "value is perception."
I think I got a smokin deal but I am friends with the owner of the dealership. After all said and done a little over 20% off. Granted he still made a little money, but thats what he's in business for and I'm cool with that. I feel good about my deal, he made some money, everybody wins.
Old    mtbmudmachine            02-25-2003, 4:26 PM Reply   
"Great Question" Put Up or Shut Up A.P There is a lot of "Smack Talkers" out there, I don't know who would go threw the trouble of scanning there Invoice. I got a good deal But I wouldn't go as far as Sowing it here on W.W, Is it me or does it seem kinda tacky! It would be a good thing for other people buying New Boats to have a acutal invoice of the same boat to help you bargan your own deal.
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       02-25-2003, 6:45 PM Reply   
cherry 93 echelon, no decals,200 hrs, heater,and a stainless 3 blade

(Message edited by wakeeater on February 25, 2003)
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-25-2003, 7:03 PM Reply   
1987 fourwinns horizon, kind just grew there..... hhahhaha
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-25-2003, 7:30 PM Reply   
What about the "Boat Sluts"? I figure they have the best deal!!!
Old    steveaz            02-25-2003, 8:00 PM Reply   
I DID! because every time I come back from the lake I have the biggest smile on my face and you can't put a value on that.
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-26-2003, 6:11 AM Reply   
Boat sluts get the "Best Deal" otherwise they would probably be the guy trying to bum a ride off the end of a dock somewhere!
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-26-2003, 6:14 AM Reply   
I think I took your meaning of boat sluts different than your origional meaning... either way... boat sluts got it going on...! uh, yeah!
Old    dburke            02-26-2003, 6:21 AM Reply   
We picked up our '92 MC 205 back in '96 for $15k. It only had 19 hours on it when we got it. Its treated us very well.
Old    jdr            02-26-2003, 9:22 AM Reply   
I'm with steveaz. I could have paid $ 100k for a $20K boat and it would be worth every dime of it by enabling my family and our friends to have unbelievable times out on the water!
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-26-2003, 9:59 AM Reply   
I don't see the point of the question unless you think you got ripped off. I'm not allowed to disclose what I paid. I will say it would be a bargain at twice the price. Time on the water with friends and family is priceless.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-26-2003, 12:01 PM Reply   
I believe BigDad asked for scanned contracts...

I haven't seen any proof yet?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-26-2003, 12:08 PM Reply   
Yeah I think some people are finding out after the fact that they could have paid a lot less. I am under agreement as well not to disclose what I paid for my boat. Things are easier when you have been dealing with the dealer for 10 years or so.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-27-2003, 12:03 AM Reply   
I guess my main point of this thread was I was tired of seeing so many posts from people who claim they got an incredible deal on a boat when there is no way I can see a dealer letting a boat go for such a low price. Or when someone asks if the deal on the boat they are considering is a good price and people make comments that they shouldn't pay X amount of dollars for it and when if you look at the MSRP they are getting a good deal for it.

Buying a boat is nothing like buying a car. The dealers are spread out and there are designated territories for each boat manufacturer. You cannot find invoices for these boats and 10% off MSRP seems to be the norm for the price of a boat. Yes, I know dealer leftovers can be had at great deals but for a brand new boat in the beginning of the season, the deals seem harder to come by unless you “know someone” or go to a boat show.

As for those who say they can’t publish the price they paid for their boat….Huh? What kind of contract are you in where you can’t say how much you paid for your boat? And what are the consequences if you do tell people? Your contract gets retroactive so you have to pay MSRP?

I figured no one would scan their contract. It is time consuming and yea maybe a little tacky. But if you did get this “great” deal then prove it with a pic. Otherwise everything you write is just words and doesn’t mean anything without evidence.

P.S. I just bought a CC 210 TE for only $29,000. I had to pay a little extra for the cool orange life vests. But I’m not going to scan the docs because I’m too busy.

Old    exdeckboater2            02-27-2003, 6:13 AM Reply   
In 9-01 I bought our 2002 Supra Legacy for 20.18% off MSRP. It was brand new with 6 hours on it. It had been the photo boat for the 2002 literature.

MSRP
Base 34995
Cover 395
4 blade SS prop 200
Bertha 1195
Hyd Wakeplate 795
Total 37580

My price was 29995 + TTL. If I had the paper work here I would scan it, but it is at home filed away.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-27-2003, 7:25 AM Reply   
A.P. In my case I won't tell the price I got because the dealer asked me not to. Having a good relationship with the dealer involves a some trust on both parties.

I see nothing wrong with people posting low numbers, even if some of them are ficticious. perhaps it will benefit us all by driving the overinflated prices beck down to where they should be to begin with.
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-27-2003, 10:18 AM Reply   
AP- You paid too much for the CC. My cousins best friends sister in law knows a guy who's dad's brother could have hooked up a better deal for you.

I paid cost, for that I agreed not to divulge the price. I have helped a few people when they tell me what they are paying for a similar boat. Like Tim, I also plan on buying another boat some day. I value my relaitonship with the dealer and factory.
Old    hockeyruss            02-27-2003, 10:19 AM Reply   
I bought a 2001 Wakesetter VLX that was a int Demo boat for 31,500 in August of '01. It had perfect pass, mls titan tower and a single axle trailer. I sold it in the spring of '02 for 33,500 and bought a 02 Wakesetter that I had custom ordered (loaded). I have a real good relationship with the dealer, who is 120 miles away, and he has me to help grow this area. I can't reveal the price I paid but it was way under the 49k retail. Guess it pays to be in the right place at the right time. My boat was in the boat show here, priced out at 2003 prices retail is 53g and it was for sale for 42,995. Here is a pic of my original VLX.

vlx
Old    xtigeman            02-27-2003, 4:44 PM Reply   
Sandy got a helluva deal.
Old    leggester            02-27-2003, 4:48 PM Reply   
Uh, AP, I thnik you were taken.

Dealers are, by law, supposed to sell the boat, new anyway, water ready. That's with the vests for max seating, throwable cushion... ...

Thought you'd like to know.
Old     (02byerly132)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-27-2003, 6:15 PM Reply   
Yea, I think that its amazing that dealers have that much mark up on boats. It's crazy. I mean I think that goes to show that since A.P. bought his for 29 that the dealers have close to 45% mark up. That's insane!
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-27-2003, 7:12 PM Reply   
Uh,

I'm kidding about buying a 210 TE for 29,000
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-27-2003, 7:26 PM Reply   

Finally, point made. Damn thats funny.
Old    swass            02-28-2003, 5:54 AM Reply   
That's the first I've heard of that law, Matt. Where'd you read that?

I'm on my second new boat. Both came with nothing but a battery.
Old     (cryptic22)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-28-2003, 6:27 AM Reply   
Apparently if you pay for the life jackets you get a huge discount on the boat. That must have been where I went wrong, I paid slightly more than $29k for my 210 Team, but at least I got my life jackets free!
Old    leggester            02-28-2003, 7:44 AM Reply   
They must comply with USCG requirements if they sell a new boat.

Fella at Mike's Marine clued me in.
Old    swass            02-28-2003, 7:51 AM Reply   
If that is in fact law, it is widely ignored.