Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (dtown)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-07-2009, 7:31 AM Reply   
We are seriously considering ordering a 2009 MB F21 Tomcat. We are dead set on getting the ZR-409 (410hp) motor and possibly the two speed tranny. We do live and ride at an elevation between 8,000-5,000 feet.

How many of you have the 2 speed tranny?
Do you wakesurf with it in the low or high gear?
Have you had problems the 2-speed tranny?

Thanks for your input!
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-07-2009, 9:32 AM Reply   
You can also contact pro rider Cobe Mickacich, He ONLY orders MBs with the 2 speed from what I understand.

He did the iRide tour and probably ran it at high elevations during his trip. Don't have contact info for him but his camp page is:

http://wakeboardorlando.com/
Old     (dtown)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-07-2009, 2:01 PM Reply   
Is Cobe sponsored by MB? If so, probably a biased opinion... kind of like asking Drew if the Sideswipe/Switchblade is good. haha

Doesn't Jerry Price and/or the Wood Family (Alec Wood) have an MB? Do they have the 2-speed? Surely Jeff and/or Dennis have surfed behind a MB? With a two speed?

Thanks guys.
Old    surfdad            01-07-2009, 2:36 PM Reply   
Hey Darren,

Jerry Price has an older MB. It's not a Tomcat. My understanding is that he was connecting with the Sanger folks - at least when I saw him at Surf Expo he was sharing a space with Scotty. I do believe he has the 2 speed tranny and all he does is surf, so he would be a good one to talk to. Shoot him an email at:

contact@shredstixx.com

Jerry is always very helpful and has been wakesurfing longer than any of us.

I remember Jerry's boat as being weak on the darkside and very nice regular. Jerry tends not to weight his boat heavily, relying on people ballast mostly.

The Woods and Vince P I do believe have an MB/surf an MB, also - you've got a stellar memory!
Old     (dtown)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-07-2009, 3:15 PM Reply   
Thank you Heffe. You da man.

Memory??? my hair keeps it from escaping out the top.
Old    surfdad            01-07-2009, 3:21 PM Reply   
LOL! Now I know why I can't remember anything! :-)

I want to use that...ummm, justification. No, I am not baldING, I am genetically predisposed to poor memory.
Old     (dtown)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-07-2009, 3:42 PM Reply   
ahhh. I'm gona have to use that logic.
It's not that I can't do a 360, I am genetically predisposed to poor rotation!
Yeah, I can't boost like James, but he's not genetically predisposed to gravity.
Old     (trash4life)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-07-2009, 4:15 PM Reply   
Hey Daren, I'm a MB owner so I may be able to help a little. In fact I just bought an '09 B52V after selling my '06B52 V. I'd say that I surf about 75% of the time. The hull on the '06 was like Jeff said-good on the port side and not too good on the starboard. The new '09 is tons better. I loved the wake on the '06 but was blown away by the improvements MB has made to the hull. I'd say that both sides are very good now- the starboard is a little seeper than the port but very nice. I upgraded because of the quick fill ballast and love it.

We ride here in Utah at high elevation all the time with the 343 hp engine. I do not have the 2 speed tranny, so can't help you with that other than that I don't feel its necessary. Although I have a power prop instead of the stock prop due to the amount of weight I run when surfing. If you don't need to go faster than 38mph then I would just re-prop instead of paying for the 2 speed.
Old     (rhawn)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-08-2009, 10:45 AM Reply   
MB owner here as well. I also do not have the 2 speed tranny, and did not feel it was necessary. I think the 'idea' is if you are running craptons of weight to be able to still pull off a decent mpg at wakeboarding speeds. If you are mostly surfing, there is really no need for it at all.
Old     (crusrdug)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-13-2009, 5:18 PM Reply   
I have a 2007 B52 V23 and I did not opt for the 2 speed. After test driving the 21 and 23, I noticed the 23 came out of the hole and planed much faster which blew me away. I'm not sure if they have improved the 21, but I would recommend driving both. The new 21 Tomcat looks killer!
Old     (moosemac81)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-27-2009, 1:10 AM Reply   
Hey I have an 06 mb B52 v23 and we get a good wave! WE put around 4000lbs of extra weight in the boat! THat is no lie! if we are not careful we get water over the rail. Upload
Old     (rhawn)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-27-2009, 6:23 AM Reply   
Mike, care to detail how you have your weight laid out?
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-27-2009, 7:01 PM Reply   
For what it is worth, the Tomcat 21 was probably my top favorite boat from walking around the LA boat show. Had lots of great features. Obviously I didn't ride in it.
Old     (dw_mb_b52)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-29-2009, 12:56 PM Reply   
Darren,
I have an MB B52 V23 team rider 04 vintage and we love it. I do not have the 2 speed tranny but I agree with Kenny and just swapped out my prop for more dig out of the hole with all of that extra surf weight. We have my boat so dialed in I don't want to change boats now!
Old     (valsurfer)      Join Date: May 2006       03-29-2009, 1:07 PM Reply   
Heres Alec Daryls son behind his MB B52sport Boat last Summer.We are fair weather wakesurfers so no winter rides + we Ski & Snowboard till late April and just getting out on the water around mid May and going till NovemberUpload
Old     (moosemac81)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-01-2009, 12:07 AM Reply   
We fill our front tank and which ever side we are surfing. We also fill the side not being used half full plus I have a 450lb bag in the bow and 2 450lb bags on the seat of the side we are surfing! The wake is big no doubt!
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-05-2009, 12:04 PM Reply   
here is an ok pic of the Widebody which should be the same as the 21 Tomcat. First time out and we had a 750 in the back but I think we need to move it up a bit.

Upload