Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (eric_ms)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-09-2007, 9:28 AM Reply   
Anyone have any idea about hom much it will cost me to replace the clutch in my ford 351 pcm 1992
Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-12-2007, 9:52 AM Reply   
Its called direct drive for a reason??
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-12-2007, 9:56 AM Reply   
Most '92 models come with an anodized pressure plate and throw out bearing. If its not anodized, you're looking at roughly $4,000. If it is, you may want to sell your boat. PM me, I can help you sell it.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-12-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
you mean the clutch plate that goes between the engine and the transmission???
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-12-2007, 1:34 PM Reply   
It's always a good idea to go ahead and change the muffler bearings as long as the clutch is out......
Old     (eric_ms)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-12-2007, 2:35 PM Reply   
It is a v drive so yes it has a clutch.
Old     (eric_ms)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-12-2007, 2:37 PM Reply   
Lucaino, yes I mean the clutch plate that goes between the engine and the transmission. your thoughts?
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-12-2007, 3:46 PM Reply   
I think that you might mean a Flex plate. Which is a plate that has you starter gear on it. I have never seen a clutch on any boat. Even that old V-drives with transmissions didn't have clutches because they were automatic transmission.

Al
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-12-2007, 3:47 PM Reply   
Flexplates are cheap!!
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-12-2007, 3:53 PM Reply   
is there a clutch pedal? haha
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-12-2007, 8:02 PM Reply   
that is called a DAMPER PLATE, and for a PCM transmission you need a PCM specific part.
Check Skidim.com.

Hope I helped.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-12-2007, 8:21 PM Reply   
These are automatic (Hydromatic) transmission clutches. A boat transmission uses the same principle.
Upload
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-13-2007, 6:07 AM Reply   
Eric, the CLUTCH pictured above belongs to the transmission, you should determine wich model your transmission is.
I really dont know what was CC using on those V-drives, but hat v-drive is probably composed of two transmissions, an inline and a coupled reverse unit (V-drive), so check both for more accuracy.
Anyway if that's the part the important thing is to know the inline tag. A tranny clutch is around U$D200 plus labor.

If the clutch you mean is the damper plate (pictured below) Then it's like U$D100 plus labor. this one goes between the engine and transmission dampening when you shift.

Upload
Old     (eric_ms)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-13-2007, 6:12 AM Reply   
ok yeah a DAMPER PLATE. See here is the thing. the boat won't go in forward or reverse and when I put it in gear it just acts like it in in neutral. also my starter went out and when I changed that I found small metal shavings and metal coils in the bottom of the housing. does this DAMPER PLATE have springs in it like a clutch
Old     (eric_ms)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-13-2007, 6:54 AM Reply   
Lucaino, Yep that is it. now I just got to find someone to put it on.....
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-13-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
yes, the damper plate has springs, they wear or break over time or if the shifts are not well calibrated (fine tune carburation).

To change the damper you'll need to remove the engine, some people with the right equipment could DIY, but I'd take that to a mechanic or dealer just to be sure everything is installed back correctly, most of all for shaft alignment.

Anyway, are you sure the gear problem is because of the damper plate? it sounds to me more like a tranmission issue, perhaps your gear cable is disconnected?

(Message edited by luchog on July 13, 2007)
Old    bocephus            07-13-2007, 11:02 AM Reply   
Don't remove the engine! Removing the transmission and bellhousing is much lighter!
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-13-2007, 3:00 PM Reply   
if you have room to remove the tranny it's better yes.
Old     (eric_ms)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-16-2007, 6:32 AM Reply   
Not positive it is the damper plate but I think it is because the other day I had to change the starter and when I did, I found small metal peaces near the start that looked springs like the ones in the pic above. When the boat died I had a vibration and so I came off plane and put it in neutral then I went to put it back in gear it just revved up. I had a mechanic look at it and without taking it a part he said that the plate was what he thought it was. He said that if it was the tranny that the centrifugal force with it being in neutral would make it grind. Your thoughts?
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-16-2007, 7:24 AM Reply   
the little pieces you found were corroded?

Was shifting feeling hard or smooth? what's your iddle RPM?

I'd first check the cables, then go for the damper plate. Keep us posted!
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-16-2007, 9:51 AM Reply   
Mirror, flashlight, remove cover plate or starter and inspect visually before pulling any more apart.
Old     (eric_ms)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-16-2007, 11:20 AM Reply   
I did remove the starter and that is were I found the metal pieces. They were not so much corroded but the were without a doubt pieces from the springs in the plate. It shifts smooth. It goes right into gear (forward and reverse) the same as it did before the problem. The boat is at the shop now so I am not sure what it idles at, But the RPM�s are low and everything sounds great until I put it in gear and all it does is rev up. That said they 1st few times I put it in gear I heard a metal grinding sound from where the damper plate is. If the plate has gone out will it do what my boat is doing? I need to get a pretty good Idea of what it is (which I think I do) because I will in Mississippi and we don�t have to many marine guys around my area. So the more info I can tell them the better off I will be�. I hope
Old     (eric_ms)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-16-2007, 11:21 AM Reply   
Peter, what do you mean by

Mirror, flashlight, remove cover plate?
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-16-2007, 1:00 PM Reply   
Well if the springs were coming apart, you would be able to look at where they should be and see an empty spot. Doesn't really matter if the shop has taken over the repairs.

Hope you get your boat back soon :-)