Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (etang789)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-11-2009, 8:40 PM Reply   
I'm trying to do a heelside 360 , tried front side or backside still couldn't pass the handle... :-(

Any tips?
Old     (jrich)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-11-2009, 8:52 PM Reply   
keep the handle close........the handle is your friend.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       10-11-2009, 9:33 PM Reply   
also delay the handle pass, just remember pop first then pull
Old     (watson_134_lf)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-11-2009, 10:25 PM Reply   
dont spin off the wake.
try to pass the handle right by your but.
Old     (spearing)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-12-2009, 6:23 AM Reply   
try the cheater 360's first.

Just as the boat is turning at the end of the lake to turn around; cut in heel side and the curl on the wake is more lippy. you will be boot a bit higher than a straight pass 360 (there is a small window to hit this, so make a couple turns to look for this lippy wake just as the boat turns) 2.) once fully in the air pull the handle into the small of your back very tight to your back "GRAB" the handle with your other hand you will come around with more slack than a straight pass 360 attempt but what this does is slow down the move and the speed (crashes are much more forgiving)This will get you familiar with the landings. you can do this for 5's 7's and so on........

Once comfortable on the turn 360's take it to the straight pass :-)
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-12-2009, 6:31 AM Reply   
I think back 3s are easier.

Edge through the wake and get good pop FIRST
then roll (not pull) the handle to your back
reach around with your trailing hand and get the handle
then pull with that trailing hand to bring it around

Try rolling into a couple back 1s first then get that handle a little earlier and go for the 3
Old     (skyler_25)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-12-2009, 8:01 AM Reply   
make sure to edge all the way through the wake. think of it as a 180 with a handle pass. after you have got got your pop. advance yourself with both hands towards the boat. pulling the handle to your opposite hip. then let go with your front hand and reach around and pass the handle. what also works for these is trying them 1 wake first. just slow the boat down a little bit and it will help you get the principals down.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-12-2009, 8:17 AM Reply   
I have to respectfully disagree with everyone who wants to change the what the boat is doing to stick a new trick. Throwing a little dumper is one thing, but IMO changing the boat alters the wake characteristics significantly, and screws with your timing etc... use the "progression tree" to avoid stacking hard... rather than running your boat differently.

My $0.02
Old    murrayair            10-12-2009, 8:56 AM Reply   
For BS 3s, try starting with BS 180s. When I was learning BS 180s, I sometimes found myself slightly over-rotating on accident. Basically, I would rotate 270 degrees in the air and naturally end up rotating the last 90 on the water. It wasn't a stretch to ad that extra 90 degrees to my in-the-air spins. Start out trying your BS 1s from inside the wake to the outside and you'll see how simple the BS 3 will become.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-12-2009, 8:58 AM Reply   
^ same with me and fully concur with your statement.
Old     (skyler_25)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-12-2009, 1:19 PM Reply   
slowing the boat down doesn't mess up your timing. it teaches you the principals of the trick your doing. also doing inside-out. or on the surface. it also boost your confidence on the trick because its not beating you up as you learn it. it all helps
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-13-2009, 7:52 AM Reply   
I was trying these as well a few weeks back, HS FS 3's though, and I was having a hard time making the handle pass... then a strange fall and I cracked a rib... It was not even close to a hard fall or anything... but that is a different story.... My question is about the handle pass. I was getting very close, but I think that I was letting go just before I got my other hand on the handle. What can I do to solve this problem? The times that I really tried to hold on longer, I got caught up backwards and took HARD falls. I will try and post a picture of how close I was on the pass later.
Old     (thescott)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-13-2009, 8:25 AM Reply   
Try surface 360's to get a good feel for the handle pass. I used to get hung up on the handle pass, but practicing surface 3's really made it click. Shaun Murray had a good tutorial in wakeboarding mag called "fix your spins for good" or something like that. Progressed from surface 360's to w2w. Was pretty good. I have it at home, will try to find it and post up the issue date.
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       10-13-2009, 8:33 AM Reply   
Skyler is right on the money in learning the 3. Every reputable camp out there I know of does the same type of teaching. Slow down the boat start with surface spins to teach body position and the feel of the handle pass. Move up to one wake and then move to wake to wake. Yes the progression tree is important to make you a solid rider and truly ready for advanced tricks.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       10-13-2009, 4:11 PM Reply   
Make a training handle with an old handle and some kind of weight. Practice swinging it around your hips and passing the handle. Keep your arms and hands close to your body. Pass the handle palms down in front and palms up behind you. You can add weight or swing it faster to increase the resistance - keep your arms close to your body. This will help increase your strength and train your muscle memory for keeping the handle close and making the pass.

(Message edited by texastbird on October 13, 2009)
Old    atom_ant            10-13-2009, 10:37 PM Reply   
This trick took me forever to get consistent. I would spin too early or get off axis once I was in the air. Literally after a whole summer of crashing on these a buddy of mine told me to really focus on pushing or ollie-ing off the wake (sp?) and then going for a nose grab 360. Even if I didn't grab the board, going for it made me wait. After a few of those I tried a regular 3 and landed the second one and had it. Now grabbing it seems more natural than not. The slow surface spins also help a lot with the handle pass, but that wasn't my problem. I was just spinning too early.
Old     (spearing)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-14-2009, 8:27 AM Reply   
Dan (texasbird) good call on swinging weight. on that training tip try below.

-take a blank skate deck fasten some shoes then spin 5' and 7's spin 3's with grabs build the muscle memorie and then take it to the water.

Etang - how is it comming did you get the 3 yet?