Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 23, 2009

Old     (tysonma)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-11-2009, 4:04 PM Reply   
I have been riding a substance for 2 years and am looking for a board that will help me improve, I LOVE the subtance, but looking for something a little faster, but dont want to sacrafice pop, or the soft landings...any ideas??? I would also like to stay with LF.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-11-2009, 4:16 PM Reply   
The Shane or Lyman sound like what you're looking for. They pop as well as the Watson, land as soft, but they are both quite a bit faster. The Shane will be a bit stickier than the Watson while the Lyman will be more loose.
Old    wiz            01-11-2009, 4:16 PM Reply   
try any flex board
Old     (watson_134_lf)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-11-2009, 4:40 PM Reply   
the substance was watsons pro model before he started riding the watson 3 or 4 years ago. the watson shape is the substance on steroids. the watson rides 10 times faster, pops 10 times higher, and lands 10 times softer than the substance. the fins on the watson are a little shorter, and a little deeper, but still have the same feel as the substance. the board is two cm wider, giving it more surface area, which is where the added pop and softer landings come from. the tip and tail have quad vent channels, which gives the board added speed.

my first board was the liquid force rythem, which was watsons pro model, then i moved to the substance, which was watsons next pro model, and now im riding the watson. after switching from the substance to the watson, i havnt had to re learn the board at all, and every trick that i had been doing was amplified, and just way easier to do.
so, id definatly have to say your best bet is the watson, cuz it rides like a "super substance"
Old     (zachcopp)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-11-2009, 4:58 PM Reply   
The Watson, Shane, and Lyman both have very aggressive pop. In my opinion, the Substance does not land soft at all. All three of the boards previously stated will land much softer than the Substance. The Watson will be the slowest of the 3, the Shane will be a little faster than the Watson, and the Lyman will be faster than both the Watson and Shane. The Shane and Watson will be loose but still hold a strong edge with the removable fins off. The Lyman is loose with all the fins on but rockets towards the wake with a strong edge once you initiate your progressive edge.

I don't know much about it, but the new S4 is supposed to be the PS3 on steroids, so you might want to check out that board.

If you want the softest landings and huge pop, try and Slingshot. Really fun boards!
Old     (tysonma)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-11-2009, 5:00 PM Reply   
Alex, funny you say that...when i wrote the first post i meant to put that i was lookin for a "substance on steroids" somewhere in there
Old     (watson_134_lf)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-11-2009, 5:48 PM Reply   
haha, it really is, the first time i rode it i was like, wow, this is awsome....
my freind and i both rode the substance, and now both ride the watson, and he rode the shand, and really didnt like the diffrent ride. i like the watson because i didnt have to adjust to it at all, and i didnt have to spend half the season re-learning my board
Old    benj_t            01-12-2009, 2:58 PM Reply   
Lyman.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-12-2009, 3:04 PM Reply   
shane
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-12-2009, 3:21 PM Reply   
My substance landed like a ton of bricks. And it stuck to the water like crazy with just the molded in fins (2004 model). I picked up the watson last year, and boy was I glad I did. It rode better, felt looser but more controllable, and much easier to just pop off of.

The Watson has awesome landings, can pop really big if you use the right technique, and is just overall an awesome board. If you've been riding the Substance, listen to everyone else, the Watson is the next logical step in the progression of boards.

Then again, the Lyman apparently is the child of the Shane and Watson boards cranked up on steroids...
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       01-13-2009, 12:08 PM Reply   
I moved from the Substance to the Lyman. I demoed the Watson a few times and while the board did most of what I was looking for I found the transition speed was lacking. Once on edge the board carried speed.

I find the Lyman to have most of what I enjoyed in both the substance and the watson. However I find that it keeps speed in the transition. While the timing of the pop is slightly different, once you find it it's eyes wide as your in the sky.

That being said, if you can, demo. Demoing is a wonderful luxuary that really helps to find a board that fits the style you want.
Old     (yorwakebordfrend)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-14-2009, 12:21 PM Reply   
the ps3 is the closest thing by far idk whos sayin lyman but the lyman is faster than the substance and i havent ridden the shane so idk
Old     (pogi)      Join Date: May 2006       01-14-2009, 2:55 PM Reply   
I've ridden the substance, shane and watson. You'll like either board better than the substance. The watson has a much more abrupt, straight up pop than the shane, which made it a little harder for me to control. It also seemed to land quite a bit harder than the shane, maybe because of the pop being more straight up, then up and out like the shane. When I would land on the watson is was almost like I was stopping, whereas the shane kept me cutting away. I like the shane better.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-15-2009, 2:00 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/656635.html?1231263010