Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (foilboy)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-28-2008, 2:21 PM Reply   
Ok this is not a wake boarding question but I am
just wondering about this.

A member of my crew, a dude shaves his legs. He says it's not gay, I say GeeAaaYyy. Is this something that's normal? Will I ride better if I shave my legs?
What do you think gay or not gay?
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-28-2008, 2:23 PM Reply   
Can you please elaborate on the connection between gromming habits and sexual orientation?

..to answer your question, unless he is a swimmer its pretty strange
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-28-2008, 2:29 PM Reply   
dunno if shaving your legs is gay, but i know foiling is.

Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-28-2008, 2:40 PM Reply   
You even considering that your riding would be better if you shaved them is gay.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-28-2008, 2:42 PM Reply   
Worry about yourself and not what others have or are doing. 2 cents
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-28-2008, 3:00 PM Reply   
shaving your legs = why not? i shave/trim over my tattoos, they look better and some ppl. with older rubber boots don't like how they pull your leg hairs out

foiling = I don't like to use the term gay, as it is a lil played out and juvenile, but foiling seems pretty lame to me...did you know some guy did 529 consecutive flips on his air chair? cooool!
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-28-2008, 3:08 PM Reply   
i know a whole bunch of guys that shave/trim their hair on their legs. its pretty common amongst athletes.

is his silky smoothe skin making you uncomfortable?
Old     (bloat)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-28-2008, 3:15 PM Reply   
Its true!!!!!!!
If you shave all your hair off you get alot more air!!
Its'plain physics dude. Less friction in the air gets you way more pop!!
It's quite surprising how much of a differencve it makes...
Try it....you wont be sorry....
Old    murrayair            07-28-2008, 3:15 PM Reply   
If guys want to shave their legs that's up to them. That being said, it is kinda weird to see a guy with shaved legs. Men are supposed to have body hair. Leave the shaving, waxing, etc. to the ladies.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-28-2008, 3:23 PM Reply   
Well lets just say manly body hair isn't what it used to be in the 70s. Actually just about all serious swimmers and bikers go hairless.

As far as his orientation, you are on your own to discover that.
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-28-2008, 3:33 PM Reply   
I have been known to shave my legs, although most of the time I just trim them with clippers. I do on the other hand shave my chest about once a month, because I am one hairy guy. To say that shaving your legs is gay is a questionable statement. Personally I think using gay as an insult is disrespectful to gay people, so I would avoid using that term in that manner regardless.
Old     (mcook77)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-28-2008, 3:35 PM Reply   
Joe / Derek ---> what's your problem with foiling?

You guys ever even tried to foil? Ever seen a wakeboarder do 529 consecutive inverts? Not EVEN to say that foiling is better/harder/easier than wakeboarding, etc but learning to accept it as a peer water sport is not a bad idea!
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-28-2008, 3:37 PM Reply   
maybe so the knee-high socks don't itch? lol, just kidding. no disrespect. :-)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-28-2008, 3:38 PM Reply   
i was kidding and was just meant to give foilboy a hard time for calling a member of his crew gay for shaving his legs.
Old     (hypoxic_films)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-28-2008, 3:44 PM Reply   
I shave my arms and legs

Even though I cycle and swim regularly, roughly more miles than the average person drives daily, it must mean Im gay, that must be the reason for my hi-gene habits.

Not that there's anything wrong with that
Old     (shredgnar)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-28-2008, 4:13 PM Reply   
what the hell is foiling?
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-28-2008, 4:28 PM Reply   
i've foiled. did a backroll second try. tried a grab, decided i didn't like the way i looked sitting in a rocking chair 3' above the water. not very engaging. have never tried again. it must be sweet though, soooooo many people do it.
one of the only tow sports to NOT catch on and become popular, wonder why?
Old     (mcook77)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-28-2008, 5:29 PM Reply   
Wonder why???

Maybe because the most BASIC of hydrofoils cost $1500 compared to a $150 wakeboarding setup at Wal-Mart, Academy, etc.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-28-2008, 9:46 PM Reply   
yeah i tried foiling one time. did a double backflip, double frontflip, a few 7s, a few mobes. pretty boring actually (sarcasm)

if he shaves just for the hell of it then i would consider that "weird", but i shaved practically everything for swimming
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-28-2008, 11:15 PM Reply   
You know that warm water sting? That feels better with shaved legs.

But it doesnt really bother me. I got bored and did it for gets and shiggles one day, but thats about it.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-29-2008, 6:08 AM Reply   
who cares if a dude decides to shave his legs/arms/etc... i guess i can't justify wasting my time to worry about someone elses personal hygene habits, that is unless they're carrying around some fowl funk with them. now-a-days i must say that it's pretty hard to consider something weird or not normal, especially when it concerns shaving body parts.

a personal shaving experience of mine - when playing college ball i had to shave my ankles for taping, i decided that walking around in shorts/flip flops and half shaven legs felt wrong for me so i decided to shave it all off one day. well, that left me feeling even more odd, so next time i decided to go with the 1/8" guard and just buzz the legs. that felt much better imo, and i ended up sticking with that routine for about 5 years.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-29-2008, 6:31 AM Reply   
Derek is there a single topic you don't talk ish in?
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-29-2008, 8:49 AM Reply   
a-dub, i rarely comment on any threads that Joe Umali hasn't already commented on. I like to see what the "gospel" is and then edit my resonse to conform. Its a safe feeling when you stick with the popular opinion.

Are you talkin ish about me talkin ish? Atleast when i talk ish its about wakeboarding, not someone else talking ish.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-29-2008, 8:49 AM Reply   
139 posts, well, 140 now...not exactly overboard.
Old     (mcook77)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-29-2008, 12:59 PM Reply   
LOLOL @ Derek!!!

That is even worse. So you follow Joe around wakeworld and then basically serve as his little puppet?

From looking at your above post, I think you just called yourself Joe's bit*h! HAHAHA
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-29-2008, 1:02 PM Reply   
He's referring to an older thread. I got your joke derek.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-29-2008, 1:25 PM Reply   
c'mon, Michael! even A-Dub got that joke...haha i kid a-dub. this place is so fun sometimes..
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-29-2008, 1:27 PM Reply   
Bah, ha, ha, ha, ha... I can't wait till my friends get a hold of this thread.

I've shaved my legs on/off most of my life. I started for swimming and continued as a cyclist. Cyclists typically do it because they get leg massages daily and because it helps the healing process when they crash.

I've also known a lot of guys that do it to show off tatoos they've got on their legs. Body builders almost all shave their bodies. In fact there are a ton of guys I know that do it because it just looks better than being a super hairy dude.

If you've got a problem with it, then maybe it's a problem you've got with your own sexuality. I promise you it isn't a gay/straight thing.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-29-2008, 1:28 PM Reply   
www.foilworld.com
great site, huge following.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-29-2008, 1:29 PM Reply   
Oh, and I'm inclined to say that if shaving legs is gay, then foiling is equally or more questionable.

Just because it's hard to do, doesn't make it cool
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-29-2008, 1:41 PM Reply   
"Are you talkin ish about me talkin ish? Atleast when i talk ish its about wakeboarding, not someone else talking ish."

It's not a gay or straight thing it's an itailian or not thing... haven't you ever seen a stand up comedian? if you have such a hairy back that you've been shot with a tranquilizer gun multiple times, the tank top is not for you, etc. stuff like that.... ?

bottom line: no one wants to be misconstrewed as the missing link.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-29-2008, 1:48 PM Reply   
haha trevor is one funny mother focker, and i have to agree, a great vocab for such a young mind.
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-29-2008, 3:25 PM Reply   
i knew some wanna be bodybuilders that shaved their legs. i guess what i thought was so funny was they were real wanna be bodybuilders.

i say it's a little wierd, but to each his own too.
i would mess with him about it when you are out on the boat and tell him he missed a spot, or has the 5 o'clock shadow. see how he reacts and let us know.
Old     (wayz)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-29-2008, 4:13 PM Reply   
I'm very bored this Tuesday and this is very entertaining. It's not gay.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-29-2008, 4:49 PM Reply   
I just clicked on that foilworld.com link.

Waylon, I disagree, being entertained by a man shaving his legs is gay.
Old     (hypoxic_films)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-29-2008, 5:17 PM Reply   
Cyclist can say what ever they want about why we shave our legs. But, we shave our legs because we wear cycling shorts and every single hair pokes through those damn shorts. Im not about to look like a damn chia pet out riding my bike
Old     (wake2blake)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-29-2008, 7:27 PM Reply   
GAY