Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 01, 2007

Old     (gekkogtr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-30-2007, 12:09 PM Reply   
Hey guy's, this is my first post on this board. Nice to see such an active board on our sport. I have a 02' Gekko GTR22 and it pulls pretty hard to the right, to the point where it is hard to turn left. Its been like this since I got the boat and was just told its for better tracking on a course. I have done a little research and I guess it called "rudder torque". I know you need some of it to keep the boat strait but not this much.
When the boat is in the water you can spin the wheel with your finger. Then when you get up to speed its a totally different story, almost makes it not fun to drive. I'm wondering if any of you guys have a fix to calm this problem? I have heard of filing the rudder but haven't found anyways on how to do it. Any help would be great!!!
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-30-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
First off, make sure everything is greased well. I have seen in the past when the rudder port was not greased well, the force of the water can make the rudder bind up and make it hard to steer.

If you are trying to neutralize the right hand pull, then file on the trailing left hand edge of the rudder. Make sure you file at a 45 degree angle, and in small ammounts. A little filing will go a long ways when attemping to do this.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-30-2007, 12:21 PM Reply   
How easily does the boat steer when you are stopped?
Old     (gekkogtr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-30-2007, 12:32 PM Reply   
When the boat is in the water and not moving you can take you finger and spin the wheel almost completely around, it turns very easy.
Old     (gekkogtr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-30-2007, 12:35 PM Reply   
"file on the trailing left hand edge of the rudder" Does this mean when you are looking at the back of the boat and the left edge of the rudder facing you OR the left edge of the rudder that is facing the prop. Thanks todd.
Old     (jamieb)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-30-2007, 12:57 PM Reply   
the port side?
Old     (gekkogtr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-30-2007, 1:04 PM Reply   
Has anyone else filled their rudder before and got good results. Just a little afraid to mess it up since rudders aren't cheap.
Old     (cougar1)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-30-2007, 3:05 PM Reply   
Brandon,
The rudder is setup that way for a reason, generally that reason is slalom course. The information you received seems correct. Look at the adjustment on the rudder. This is going to be hard to explain, but there is a little rudder inside the rudder. You can adjust it with a hex wrench. Well you can on the Malibu's anyways. Check to see if that thing is off to one side. If so, make it straight and flush.

Kevin
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-30-2007, 3:33 PM Reply   
Yes...when you are looking at the rudder from the back of the boat, you will need to file on the left hand side to neutrilize your right hand pull.
Old     (gekkogtr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-30-2007, 3:36 PM Reply   
I'm picking my boat up tomorrow and I'll take a look but I'm pretty sure the hex screw is a Malibu option. Any Gekko people out there????
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-30-2007, 4:10 PM Reply   
Another thought...If you do have a slalom course rudder (hard right hand pull), then you might consider investing in a new rudder. Most are standard bronze investment casted that have a 1-1/8" shaft i believe.