Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (mikejones)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-14-2009, 8:00 AM Reply   
I've read all the posts on the new 2010 C-dub gear, so please dont flame. I'm in the market for new boots/board and am looking for some advice as I'm fairly new to the sport.

I currently ride the Ronix Ibex/Relik 09 setup and I hate these boots. I tweek my ankle about every 3 outings as the bindings are very flexible. Looking for a stiff boot and have read a lot of good things about the 09 CWB Zeus. However not offered for the 2010 lineup. Also, the ibex is a very fast, sharp 3 stg, which gets killer pop but very hard landings out in the flats.

I'm considering the 2010 Transcend. Any difference in shape from the 09 model besides graphics? There's some killer deals out there on 09 gear.

Whats the concensus on the CWB 2010 boards, Transcend, Faction, Marius, Answer? I'm looking for a board with great pop, good landings, not so speedy and slippery as the Ibex. Same with the 2010 CBW boots, are the AA's the stiffest? Or the Marius? Which replaced the Zeus?

Will any of these boards be a drastic re-learning curve for me coming from the Ibex?

Thankis!
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-14-2009, 8:44 AM Reply   
Pretty sure the Marius replaced the zeus

(Message edited by dirwoody on September 14, 2009)
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-14-2009, 9:31 AM Reply   
The AA replaced the Zeus.
Old     (mikejones)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-14-2009, 9:41 AM Reply   
Also, how's the sizing on CWB bindings? I'm a size 10, which is at the upper end of their "Medium" (8-10). should I go with Medium, or Large (11-12)?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-14-2009, 9:43 AM Reply   
I've ridden the Marius, the Faction, the DB9, and I've spent most of this season on the Transcend. They're all great, I could ride any of them. They all pop great, land smooth, and have good speed.

The Transcend will give you the most adjustability. It can be ridden with no fins, or two different fin extensions. I'm planning on riding the DB9 or Faction next year.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-14-2009, 9:47 AM Reply   
MJ... I'm a 10 also. I've been riding a Medium for the last few weeks. It's working well for me. I rode a Large before that and they were a bit big. Part of why I was riding in socks was to make up for the binding being a bit big.

You will love the Transcend. No changes from '09 other than graphics. The Faction is also fun. Really smooth and fast. Can be tuned by what size fin for how loose you like it.

As for the boots... It depends how stiff you like them. The AA's and the Marius are both higher and stiffer boots. They are similar, but the AA's have velcro (which I really like). The Faction and Answer are both lower cut and have laces. They have a bit more flex. All the pro-level bindings (AA's, Marius, Answer, Faction) have the same footbed and hinge mechanism.

I've been riding the Factions (after riding the Zeus' last year and the Answers at the start of this year) and really like the additional flexibility.
Old     (mikejones)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-14-2009, 10:46 AM Reply   
Good info. Thanks. So if I'm going to go with 09 gear, sounds like the Transcend is the most versatile and probably the best to grow into as its a bit more advanced? 09 Answer bindings may make this a great setup.

On a scale of 1-5, 5 being the stiffest, what would you rank the Answer bindings?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-14-2009, 11:43 AM Reply   
I ride that exact setup. Transcend with Answers. I think it is the best riding combo. I've been on it since last October and have become so comfortable on it. Depending on how you like your board to ride, the Transcend is customizable with the fin extensions. Extension-less it is very loose but locks in on edge for a good charge at the wake, perfect IMO.

The Answer boots are awesome. Very durable with plenty of support. I'll probably get the new version this year. If you want adjustability the Marius gives you the option of not lacing the top loop. Just another option.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-14-2009, 12:33 PM Reply   
IMO... Grab the '09 board while you can, but wait for the 2010 Factions. The new bindings are sooo much better.

If you get the '09 Answers you'll be happy, too, but the new ones are a ton lighter and fit a bit better.
Old     (mikejones)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-14-2009, 12:40 PM Reply   
So I've narrowed it down to this...

-09 Transcend w/ 09 Answer boots
-09 Marius w/ 09 Answer boots
-10 Transcend w/ w AA boots

Any comment or recommendations on the Platinum version of the 09's? I'm barely an intermediate boarder, so I'm not slamming the board off double-ups or anything. Is the platty version just too brittle? If I go platinum, could get the 09 zeus boots, which as I'm understanding are a little more stiff.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-14-2009, 1:18 PM Reply   
10 Transcend W AA boots.
Old     (all_board_rider)      Join Date: May 2009       09-14-2009, 1:56 PM Reply   
I ride the 09 platinum marius and LOVE that board, though i have broken it once...i also ride it with answers and they are awesome boots, they arent to stiff where i cant get all steezy with some poked out grabs, but they arent too loose...good set up for sure.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-14-2009, 2:11 PM Reply   
Like Evan, I LOOOOVE the new Faction boots, however, since you're trying to stay away from flexible boots, my advice is to avoid them in your case. They are the more flexible boots of the C-Dub high end line up. I personally prefer a little flex in the boots.
Old     (backflop)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-14-2009, 4:26 PM Reply   
I ride the 09 transcend with 09 zeus bindings. Its a really fun ride, lots of pop with soft landings. The boots are very stiff, and when I first got them they rubbed rather bad on the top of my ankles. However, once I removed the toe stiffener it solved that issue. Overall I think its a great combo.
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       09-14-2009, 4:50 PM Reply   
08 Zeus on BBB right now for $135
http://boardersbestbuy.com/
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-15-2009, 7:34 AM Reply   
I run the 09 Transcend and the 09 Answers. Awesome set up! I love it. I would recommend not getting the platty unless you like breaking boards. There really is no difference other than a pound. It rides exactly the same until you split it in half. :-) We put 3 days on a brand new board before it broke. I've put at least 3 months on my Transcend and it's rockin'! I do notice some delamination on the toe side edge. I still need to send those picks to CWB.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-15-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
A standard foam core 2010 board with the 2010 bindings is as light as a '09 platty with '09 bindings. The new bindings are about 1lb lighter. A platty '09 with 2010 boots would be crazy light.

I still say go with a '09 board on closeout and wait for a set of 2010 boots. Buy them at a boatshow and get a screaming deal. The AA's, Marius' and Faction boots are all DOPE!!!
Old     (all_board_rider)      Join Date: May 2009       09-15-2009, 10:24 AM Reply   
Even I'm trying to decide between the dub10 answers and marius, does that ankle strap on the marius boot give you any pressure points when leaning forward like right above the ankle? thats the only thing im worried about

Sorry totaly off subject of this thread...Im with evan on gettnig an 09 deck, since all they did was change the graphic on the boards youll enjoy any of the 09 pro decks, for a good price!