Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-10-2003, 11:24 AM Reply   
at last, i've finally plucked up the balls to attempt some backrolls today, after realizing that it doesn't hurt too much i gave a good 3-4 a go.

apparently i got round each time (though i didn't know where i was) but kept catching the heel edge on its way round. I recon it could have been cause i let go with the back hand.

Could this be my problem? also how long did it take for most people to get their roll on??
Old    wakeboard_iraq            11-10-2003, 11:55 AM Reply   
I still dont have it and I have tried about 100 times.

Yes, hold on with both hands. Recommend shooting some video and posting it in trick tips - lots of help there.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-10-2003, 12:33 PM Reply   
Open your eyes Harry. It sounds stupid, but a lot of people trying their first invert close there eyes. If you didn't see you were almost all the way around, there's a good chance your eyes were closed.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-10-2003, 9:46 PM Reply   
the first rolls I landed were pretty much with my eyes closed or opening them just as I hit the water. I didn't have any prior experience spotting a landing or anything like that, but the more rolls I do the more I'm able to spot my landing. I tried about 30 rolls before I landed my first one. The crashes definitely don't hurt as bad if you charge and make sure you fully rotate. It's when you come up short that you get jacked. Point the nose of the board straight toward the sky and pull the handle towards your lead hip with both hands with your elbows in your sides.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-10-2003, 10:24 PM Reply   
As said, spotting the landing is key. When I first tried backrolls, thats what I concentrated on and landed 4th try.
Also go through the trick in your head first, make sure its all clear in there before you try it on the water.
Old    lachlantait            11-11-2003, 3:26 AM Reply   
i have tried a pot load and havnt landed any i keep my eyes open use progtressive cut and whack myself upside down, i dont know whats wrong a coupla times ive landed on my nuts or even once on my feet but just couldnt get it!
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-11-2003, 4:51 AM Reply   
all that sounds pretty good, thought that it'd probably be a case of repeating the attempts so that i get used to it and yep, open my eyes.

i recon i definately landed on the heel edge cause i didn't keep both hands on.

I'll keep trying,...
cheers
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-11-2003, 8:37 AM Reply   
Pretty much what they have said, I look at the nose of my board during the entire roll until I see the shore then I spot my landing and then let go with my back hand. Don't use the wake like a quarterpipe, jump up then throw the flip!
Old    deltahoosier            11-11-2003, 9:01 AM Reply   
Usually when I land on my heel side edge is because I threw the trick off the wake and did not ride through the wake. You need to ride all the way through like a regular jump on edge and then spin it. Good luck...
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-11-2003, 9:14 AM Reply   
Rod thats a very good point, make sure you pop first then do the trick.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-11-2003, 10:48 AM Reply   
Don't get discouraged Harry. I figure I've tried about 50 times and still haven't ridden away with the handle. I know I'll get it soon, but it's frustrating to say the least.

You've only had 3-4 attempts, so just get out there for some more and get comfortable being momentarily upside down - I'm sure you'll get it in no time.
Old    tattoobling            11-11-2003, 3:18 PM Reply   
Alot of times falling on your ass or the heel side edge is the result of crouching a little too much off the wake. Make sure as you ride up the wake you begin to stand tall as you leave the wake. Like everyone said, ride all the way through the wake before initiating the trick. Look at the trick as just an extension of the direction of the board going off the wake. But don't try to "throw" the board up over your head. Lead with your head, as you take off turn your head towards your lead shoulder and your body and board will follow. Standing tall is key. If you leave crouched you will land crouched and you're that much closer to smacking your butt into the water.

Hope this helps
Kaiser
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       11-13-2003, 8:35 PM Reply   
After I was threatened into trying the back roll, it took me 9 months to land it. Finally got it and it's great! A couple of things that probably slowed me down a bit...age=fear, and the fact that I'm not a buck 50! I look like Dumbo flying through the air! Don't give up!
Old     (goth2o)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-14-2003, 7:01 AM Reply   
Here's Dumbo!
HERES DUMBO
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-14-2003, 10:10 PM Reply   
Harry, don't worry how many times you try, just stay with it and you'll land it.
It took me for bloody ever to land a tantrum.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-15-2003, 2:33 AM Reply   
I went for my second set attempting the roll, and was really close, problem was that i landed cutting really hard and thought i;d crashed and let go, but pretty inspiring so hopefully i'll have it before christmas.

so then i can work on another invert for the summer.

cheers everyone