Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-22-2008, 11:31 PM Reply   
I bought this boat used. It appears to have a flyhigh custom ballast.
three sacs one in the ski locker, and two beside the engine. How they are hooked together seems weird.
It has one jabsco reversible pump. From the inlet it pump into one of the rear bags, then overflows into the other rear bag. then over flows into the front bag. then out a thruhull to let you know when its full.

Seems to me, it should have a manifold from the pump going seperatly to each bag.

When draining it never gets the front bag empty.

Can anyone tell me if its hooked up right?
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-23-2008, 5:44 AM Reply   
it's not that it's wrong, but that does not sound like the most efficient way of routing the ballast. the KGB (center) sac is not on it's own factory aerator pumps (1 to fill, 1 to empty)? if you don't want to invest in more pumps then I would split the hose right after it leaves the pump and do a manifold like you said. if you don't mind spending a little money, then i would invest in two more pumps and make everything independent...each bag have it's own: pump, thru hull intake, thru hull vent line, thru hull empty line, & rocker switch. it will reduce your fill/empty time immensely. i have all of mine independent of each other and it only takes about 7 minutes (time to fill one rear 750 lb sac). it has got to take FOREVER to fill everything with just one pump. you can even do the ballast job yourself...it's not that hard with that boat.
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-23-2008, 6:44 AM Reply   
Yeah I plan on changing it.
You have aerator pumps on yours?
that would mean (6) pumps right?
I was planning on three reversible ones.

The prices of them have gone up greatly since I last bought some.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-23-2008, 6:58 AM Reply   
My ballast consists of 3 Jabsco Reversable pumps (1 rear sac, 1 rear sac, 1 integrated bow sac), and 2 aerator pumps (1 to fill KGB, 1 to empty KGB). the aerators are how it came from the factory. if I were you, i would go with the reversable Jabsco's...they are self priming so you can mount them above the water line.
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-23-2008, 9:12 AM Reply   
what is the KGB ? is that the one in the Ski locker?
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-23-2008, 10:55 AM Reply   
yeah
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-23-2008, 3:07 PM Reply   
One ballast puppy is fine unless you really hate spending 5 mins per sac. Just make an simple manifold with some home depot t's and hose clamps. If one sac is higher or lower it may fill first/last.

You could probably link your overflows together too so you don't need to make any more thru-hulls.

I personally use my raw water intake for fill and drain it works awesome.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-23-2008, 3:36 PM Reply   
yes, one will get the job done. but it's so nice to have one for every sac...easy to compensate for the weight of people, surfing, etc.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       09-23-2008, 5:59 PM Reply   
Mike,
I apologize, but I too am a 01 X-Star owner with a couple ballast questions... Sorry for the hi-jack!

Can anyone tell me how the stock ballast system is setup? I haven't researched it too much, but it appears to draw from the back, below the swim step. Is this right, and are all the fill pumps drawing from one source, or is there more? I'm assuming the 3 fill pumps draw from that one source, and fill independently... And drain using 3 separate pumps (1 for each tank)???

Thanks for the help!!!
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-23-2008, 11:04 PM Reply   
Mike,
That setup isn't wrong it was the simplest way to automate the system as the 99 only came stock with the one center bag. So what they probably did was just tie into that. Sure it takes long, but was easy to automate. You could o with a manifold for sure.

Blake,
You have aerator pumps. There should be 3 intake pumps and 3 empty pumps. All 3 intake pumps should exit the transom under the platform and each should have a dedicated fill line. The empty pumps should be directly attached to the hard tanks and to the locker sac. The center empty pump is mounted right next to the bilge in that screw hole where the plug is located.

(Message edited by xstarrider on September 23, 2008)
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-24-2008, 1:10 AM Reply   
Thanks Swatguy,
that explains a lot about why there are a lot of different ways the 99's are set up. And yes I plan on redoing the whole system.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       09-24-2008, 4:04 AM Reply   
Mike,
Thanks for the info! I assumed that was the case, but wasn't sure.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       09-24-2008, 4:06 AM Reply   
Mike,
Thanks for the info! I assumed that was the case, but wasn't sure.
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-24-2008, 5:44 PM Reply   
Jay,
You have the 750 sac in your engine locker?
how does it fit? its like 50" long right.

I was looking at the Fly High Pro X Series V-drive Sacs set, but they are only 400 lbs each. and a lot shorter.

If that 50" fit good I might get that one.

How do you like the intergrated Bow sac. Any problems with it?
Old     (cool232)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-24-2008, 6:59 PM Reply   
MIke look around there are alot of great ideas here, I completely replaced mine last winter. Ill take pics and post em.

jay which prop are you running?
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-26-2008, 5:03 AM Reply   
Mike, yes I have the 750's in the back. They fit very well. Actually, and this is just my opinion, I think I'd like to have them maybe 4-6 inches longer and maybe 4 inches taller...it'd probably add another 100-200 lbs in each bag

But I would seriously recommend getting the 750's. When fully loaded you have just enough room to put some life jackets, knee braces, ropes, maybe a bumber or two on top of them.

The integrated Bow sac is very nice to have (especially if you have it on an automatic pump/switch). Although I only use it when I have people that want to sit up there. OR if I have my additional 600 pound sac on the back seat. OR if the rear sacs are only filled half way (when my gf rides). There isn't any problems with it. Though, you do have to put something on top of it to keep it from pushing your seats up...like a tupperware lid, or a few small sections of 1/4" plywood.

If you're going to run the 750's in back, and only normally go out with 3 or 4 people (where you're not going to need anyone up front), I would recommend just getting the 1100 pound Bow Wedge. You can only fill the Integrated sac up to about 300-350, which is not nearly enough to compensate for 1500 in the back.

Brad, I run the Acme 1235...awesome prop!
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-26-2008, 5:05 AM Reply   
i wouldn't waste your $ on the 400 vdrive sacs.
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-26-2008, 12:13 PM Reply   
Jay so what you are saying is If I get the 750's in the v-drive compartment. and I have the sac filled in the ski locker. If its just me driving the boat, and my son riding ( dont need a spotter in florida ) I will need more weight up front to get things right, or to make the wake perfect?