Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-02-2009, 7:44 PM Reply   
Ok, its offical I am getting orders back to recruiting and I will be running the Modesto office. The question I have is the wife will be finishing up her RN in Sacramento. We are not sure about living is Stockton area or Manteca. I have been given good info from fellow WW's about Modeato staying to the north east area.

What do you guys know about the Stockton/Manteca area as compared to Modesto, either way we have to commute some.
Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-02-2009, 8:03 PM Reply   
Stanislaus State has a nursing program as well if she is looking for her BSN. My wife is an RN as well. The school is in Turlock, a lot closer to Modesto. Just throwin out options for you. As far as Stockton or Manteca, I can't really help you. Never lived in either. Be prepared to get a lot of "Stay away from Stockton" It has a reputation as a sespool, but I am sure there are still some decent areas.

Like I said last time, hit us up when you get here and we can ride too.
Old     (doubleup720)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-02-2009, 8:58 PM Reply   
Stockton is not as bad as many of you think, it does have some good spots as well as some bad like every city. If you want to be close to the delta you can find a house about 5 min from the water.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-02-2009, 10:35 PM Reply   
what areas to avoid in stockton?
We will look up Stanislaus State this weekend
Old     (doubleup720)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-02-2009, 11:31 PM Reply   
Check out the Brookside areas and the Spanos areas. Both are just off the I-5 freeway and close to the delta. If you are in the area swing by Larson Marine and I can give you all the details on Stockton.
Old     (ksilva)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-02-2009, 11:43 PM Reply   
I live in Manteca, over all I think Manteca is a pretty decent city to live in. I would rather be in Manteca then Modesto... 15 min from the Delta / 45 min away from Don Pedro...
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-03-2009, 1:40 AM Reply   
From a person who has worked on an ambulance in Stockton....... Stay out of Stockton. Although there are lots of nice areas in Stockton, it's hard to avoid the bad ones. Manteca is cool. I used to live in an apartment complex in
Modesto. It's cool too. Renting or buying?
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-03-2009, 6:53 AM Reply   
We going to buy a house. We have little ones so it is important to get into a good area.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-03-2009, 7:00 AM Reply   
Manteca is growing and there are a ton of new developments. Also check out Lathrop, it's right in the middle of Stockton and Modesto, right off HWY 5. A friend just bought out there and he loves it.
Old     (marknjenn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-03-2009, 8:39 AM Reply   
I am in Manteca as well, good town, not too much trouble and is in a good location.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-03-2009, 10:42 AM Reply   
Stockton is great you just need to know where to live. Mike is right, I would look for a place in Brookside or lincoln village west. I haven't spent much time around Spanos Park but there is a nice shopping center at I5 and eight mile. The biggest benefit to living in Stockton is it's proximity to the water. We love going out and riding for a couple hours then hitting Bobs for lunch and heading right back out. If you want any more info feel free to give me a call 559-978-5858
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-03-2009, 11:06 AM Reply   
Check out ripon. great small community. Close to everything, but not actually over devloped.
Old     (latefordinner)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-03-2009, 11:06 AM Reply   
You should consider looking up area school rankings compared to state standards for your children, find a school you are happy with, then look for a great neighborhood in the attendance area.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-03-2009, 11:09 AM Reply   
I got a new MB Tomcat and looking for a few more guys to ride with during the week, so hit me up if you make the move.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-03-2009, 11:19 AM Reply   
So far it looks as tho the western side is decent, what about the eastern side? are there zip codes to avoid?

Matt I will give you a call for sure.

Jason PM me your info.

Also considering Manteca.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-03-2009, 11:53 AM Reply   
what about the monada area of stockton?
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-03-2009, 11:57 AM Reply   
also the 206 zip code?
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-03-2009, 2:40 PM Reply   
I moved here about 6 momnths ago to lower my bills and live off my retirement. I haven't had any probs, it isn't great but I love the $800 a month morgage.

If you got kids, look south towards Ripon like Jason said. I have a 4 year old, she doesn't go to schools here in Stockton and never will. They schools aren't very good, regardless of area. Manteca and Lodi schools are only a little better.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-03-2009, 2:41 PM Reply   
Buffalow, if you need a body during the week, hit me up. I'm not riding anymore due to injury, but good for driving or flag waving duties.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-03-2009, 2:58 PM Reply   
just make your drive a few extra minutes and buy a pad in disco. there are so many smokin deals on deep water right now.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-03-2009, 3:07 PM Reply   
got a link, been looking!
Old     (skate_or_die)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-03-2009, 11:34 PM Reply   
there is a place in manteca with a dock on the delta that was vacated about a month ago. it will be coming up for rent soon. google earth, 848 e willow st. manteca ca 95337. if interested call meyers real estate in manteca.
well i am not sure that it has a dock but i do know that it has an easement for one so could build your own.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-03-2009, 11:44 PM Reply   
Thank you. I will look into it.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-04-2009, 7:23 AM Reply   
We lived in spanos park for 3 years and our house was broken into twice..if u move to stockton get a house alarm .. We were home both times with a newborn and 2 year old when it happened.. We moved to campbell shortly after
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-04-2009, 10:04 AM Reply   
I thought Spanos Park area was a good area, or was it just bad luck? I know there is no such thing as a crime free area, but you have ghetto/thugs neighborhoods and actual family orientated neighborhoods.

Wheres Cambell?
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-04-2009, 10:07 AM Reply   
Skate, it looks as though that place is smaller than we are looking for. Thank you for giving me the info tho.

Is Manteca a good area, or even better than the good area's in stockton?
Old     (skate_or_die)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-04-2009, 10:39 AM Reply   
the best area around here is ripon. good schools and no crime, it has a high population of police officers living in town. not just from ripon but from other surounding areas and the bay area. i also heard that it has more churches per capita than any other city in the world. plus it has a kick a%# skateboard park right next to the police station. forget about stockton you do not want your kids growing up in that town
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-05-2009, 11:56 PM Reply   
Stockton- no. Maybe some decent areas but you still have to deal with the undesirable ones.

In regards to Stan State, Turlock is a pretty nice town especially for a family. I lived there from 3rd grade until I graduated high school and moved away for college, not a bad place. The college is close to the freeway too so it works well for commuting.