Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (stokes89)      Join Date: May 2007       06-29-2007, 8:14 PM Reply   
will a marada 18 ft I/O with 3.0 mercruiser 135 hp have enough power to be a wakeboarding boat? and where can i get a good tower for it? thanks
Old     (hixsonaz)      Join Date: May 2007       06-29-2007, 9:12 PM Reply   
Sure, to get you up and to do surface tricks. Wake to wake jumps are possible. The best riders dont even need to hit a wake to do simple rolls. work on your cuts and "loading the line". You will know it when you get the itch and want to progress. You will want a wakeboard specific boat. Until then work with what you got! Read discussions on adding towers. I suggest monster tower. The tower looked good and was as stiff as anything, also easy to put up for a novice (me) and a good value.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-29-2007, 9:13 PM Reply   
Yes, it has enough power to get you up but a really good rope will make more difference than a tower on that boat. You don't have enough power to load up the boat and get you out, so you are just using the stock wake. I had an 18' with the 3.0 170 hp engine.
In my opinion, put the tower money aside for your next boat when you progress out of this.
There are lots of 18 footers with towers on them and you will, of course, find different opinions with other posters.
Old     (skillz)      Join Date: Jan 2005       06-29-2007, 9:54 PM Reply   
I had that boat. It was great starting off, but put a lot of people in it and it will strain to get you out the water. Save your money, don't put a tower on it.
Old     (stokes89)      Join Date: May 2007       06-29-2007, 10:43 PM Reply   
why no tower?
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-30-2007, 6:30 AM Reply   
I think skillz means save your money by not buying a tower and put it toward a inboard boat later on. But that is up to you.
That boat should have no problems getting you up.
Old     (ethan31)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-30-2007, 8:50 AM Reply   
Our boat 18ft with 3.0 135 merc. Got me up when we had over a 1000lbs in it. And iam big (6'5 240)

You should have no problems getting up, w2w, basic inverts, etc.
A little wieght and trimming will make the wake 100% better.

Also, reprop with a 4 blade, makes a HUGE differnace.
Old     (skillz)      Join Date: Jan 2005       06-30-2007, 9:41 PM Reply   
That's exactly what I meant Big E. I really liked the boat, but after driving and riding behind an inboard it was such a big difference in the performance I did not want to put the money in a tower.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-01-2007, 5:42 PM Reply   
we have a 17.5 foot boat with a 90 hp outboard....we load it with about 1300 lbs 700 back 600 front and 4 people in the boat . we have an 11pitch prop.....boat maxes out at around 24 mph......but can easily hold 18 to 24 mph with out adjusting constantly.....if the boat was larger it would be awsome....my profile shows the wake. So you should have no problem with your boat....but I would get a low as you can go pitch prop without over reving. My boat can over rev when empty...but loaded it is right in the zone.You just have to watch it when empty and not go over.....I have been doing this for 8 years with this boat and never a problem.
Old     (stokes89)      Join Date: May 2007       07-01-2007, 8:21 PM Reply   
wow..i will be more than happy if i get a wake that will let me get air like that!!!