Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       11-28-2007, 1:52 PM Reply   
Guys, ive been through a lot of boards...too many id almost want to admit. BY FAR my favorite ride has been my 3DS bar none. Now i just got a Ronix Covin/Cell setup. Both are Chad Sharpe boards so i thought the Covin and 3DS would get along. I dont want anyone bashing on me but no, i did not demo simply because it is winter in MN and i didnt want to wait until next season to get the setup i was so itching to get, and i got a sweet deal! So, Covin VS. 3DS...will i be disappointed?
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-28-2007, 2:24 PM Reply   
I hope not, but I'm with you regarding the 3DS...the best board I've jumped on 'ever'. It's funny how we still want to get a new setup. My 3DS works great, but all these new boards make me want a new toy. I really want a Marius, and will get one...but I agree, there is nothing like that "Crap, I like my old gear better than my new setup...there goes $500" feeling.
Old     (liquidmalibu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-28-2007, 3:24 PM Reply   
good point Loren.
i buy a new board every two years.
the bindings keep on getting better, but the boards would all never compare to my original liquid force squirt. i still ride it every now and then.
Greg Necrasson makes the best boards!!
Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-28-2007, 3:31 PM Reply   
Can't compare it to a 3DS, but I got the Covin/Cell setup in August and loved it (for three sets!!). Be careful though; the bindings are really stiff and do take some getting use to. The first day I rode my new setup I partially tore my LCL and fractured my fibula.
Old     (norcal18)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-28-2007, 4:04 PM Reply   
sorry for thread jacking, but Iv heard that all Ronix bindings are really stiff. is that true or what?
Old     (bartush)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-28-2007, 4:22 PM Reply   
i didnt think so.. the one bindings gave me some flex. i liked them a lot, but i did hear that the cells were pretty stiff.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-28-2007, 7:33 PM Reply   
Eder, Did you ever find out what to do about heating up your Cells? I am also going to get a pair of those.
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       11-28-2007, 9:22 PM Reply   
The cells are really stiff, and i LOVE them, i rode the 07 3DS bindings as well, stiffest in hype's lienup. I loved the support.

Nick, i didnt find out, but i went on Ronix website and it did say their oven warms them up to 250 C. yes, celsius. Ima take em up to Top Shelf here in woodbury and throw them in the hockey skate oven. a few of my buddies work there, let me know if you need help. The Cells are SICK and super comfy without even being molded.

Any more input on the boards guys? Im really interested in hearing from those who have ridden both the 3DS and the Covin. I am lovin the Looks and shape of the Covin so far and i think i might take a trip downsouth to TSR or OWC in january NICK, let me know if you are interested brother.
Old    alanp            11-28-2007, 9:31 PM Reply   
i guess the question is why are you going thru so many boards? i think i alot of folks think that getting a new board is going to make them better. unless you really cant stand the characteristics of a board i think most would benefit from staying on the same stick and working on their riding rather than having to learn a new boards characteristics whenever they upgrade.
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       11-28-2007, 10:13 PM Reply   
Alan, you bring up a great point. What i meant by ive been through tons of boards is mostly years of riding. Also, ive tried my riding buddies boards more than once. I guess tons of boards means merely 7-10, 6 of which i have owned. One is a Roam, just a fun board so we can count that one out. A parks, a slow tank, the 3DS, an older CWB, a Marius which my uncle and i went halves on and if i didnt like it he said he'd buy my half from me, so he did, and now the Ronix which i was itching to ride after tryin out the One. Good Point though, sorry for the misleading comment. But still...input is appreciated thanks!
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-29-2007, 5:39 AM Reply   
Hey Eder, a question regarding the Marius that you 'didn't like'. I also ride the 3DS and have been trying to land a Marius. I thought that the Marius would give me similar 'continuous' rocker characteristics, while hopefully increasing both 'pop' and smoother landings compared with my 3DS. Did you find the width too be too much or was it something else entirely that you found to your dislike?
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       11-29-2007, 8:12 AM Reply   
Loren, yeah the width WAS just too much for me. I will vouch for the unbelievably soft landings though, those are factual! Pop, honestly was just as good as with my 3DS but the Marius seemed slow and needed to be loaded more to get that pop when you needed it. The board was too much work for me coming off of a board that did everything by itself pretty much.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-29-2007, 9:01 AM Reply   
You heat the liners up to 119 degrees for 7-14 minutes (preference).

The Cells are the stiffest boot in the Ron1x line.

You will not be disappointed. The Covin has a little more pop and is much lighter than a 3DS.
Old    alanp            11-29-2007, 12:07 PM Reply   
no sweat eder. you did state that your favorite ride by far was your 3ds. why change?? i would still ride my 04 era if it didnt break on me this year. since it did i upgraded to an 05 era.
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       11-29-2007, 12:33 PM Reply   
Yes, the 3DS is by far my favorite ride, but just cuz i love me a 99 Stang, why not eventually upgrade to an '08 , dunno if that makes much sense, but i really wanted to give Ronix a shot, i dont have much to loose by doing so, or at least id like to think that i wont!
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-29-2007, 2:12 PM Reply   
Would love to go but the bills have been piling up lately. Will have to see whats going on after the first. Went down to Orlando a few years ago for a week and was wishing I had more time to go to OWC but someday I will get there
Old     (goatroper222000)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-29-2007, 3:01 PM Reply   
You will probably be disappointed..ronix boards break remember! :-) HAHA just kiddiing. i have no advice for you because i know nothing about either of those boards. just had to say something about it. sry for wasting your time lol.
Old     (cas)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-30-2007, 7:20 AM Reply   
Hey Eder! This summer I switch from 3DS to Covin. After a month I sold the Covin board, and found my good old 3DS . I think I lost a bit of the control of the board. It tracks really well, but if I flatten the board just a bit on the wake, I lost almost all my pop. The 3DS is bit more forgiving. I think it is because the Covin does'nt have any channels in the bottom, so it gets slippery, when you ride on the center of the board. When I ride my 3DS I uses the .8 P wings, and I still think it has better grip than the covin with 1.1 P wings.

(Message edited by cas on November 30, 2007)