Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old    sl4ppy            12-07-2005, 1:24 PM Reply   
I haven't gotten my VLX winterized yet, as I had planned on doing some wintertime boarding. (we have random 70 degree days down here in TX in the middle of winter).

Well last night we got an unusually early cold snap and its been in the mid 20s all night and most of the day today.

Due to the cold and icy road conditions (texas drivers are horrible in good weather.. bad weather is undescribable) all the local boat maint. places are closed, so my option for a quick winterization is out. :/

My boat is kept in a storage garage (with no electricty) shelterd from the wind and weather, but I'm really worried this extended cold might crack the block or exhaust manifold...

Should I be worried??? Can I do somwthing to prevent serios harm? I've never done a winterization myself...

THanks in advance!

(Message edited by sl4ppy on December 07, 2005)
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       12-07-2005, 1:51 PM Reply   
to be safe, you could run by your storage and drain your block...should only take 5 min. That codl front is coming our way(Houston).....I'm not worried. I've never winterized in Hosuton in the last 5 years...and we've had spells with days at below frezzing. As long as it's stored inside you shoul dbe fine. Take a thermomoter with you when you go.....I bet it will read 40 or so in motor compartment.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-07-2005, 2:05 PM Reply   
100 watt work lamp left under the motor compartment will keep the block warm enough to prevent it from freezing when the weather is in the twenty-thirty degree temps.

Old     (migitty)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-07-2005, 2:12 PM Reply   
It is my understanding that it takes more than one night of sub-freezing temperatures to crack a block but I can be wrong (I was told this by Ski World several years back). I would definitely go over and drain the block. Also drain the heater core if you have one of those HeaterCraft heaters in it as well. I use two child night lights in the engine compartment on a timer this time of year but you mentioned there is no electricity in your storage facility.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       12-07-2005, 2:22 PM Reply   
Don't worry too much. It would take a few days of sub freezing temp to do any damage. Your boat is storage out of the wind/elements also, so it will stay a bit warmer in there. I kept my boat in a simlple closed storage area here in Oregon all winter, pulling it in and out all the time without winterizing. It's pretty chilly here in the winter and I've never had a prob.

B
Old    mendo247            12-07-2005, 3:04 PM Reply   
its been in the upper 20's up here at night and ive been kinda concerned also.. my boat sits under a carport .. i checked the engine compartment temp really early the other morning it was 28 outside and 40 in the engine compartment.. ive also heard that it takes a couple days of freezing temps to do any damage.. my mechanic friend had to fix a boat a couple years ago where the cold temp cracked the exhaust manifolds.. and it wasnt a very cold winter at all..
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-07-2005, 7:20 PM Reply   
Having a new boat I am a bit paranoid after seeing a good layer of frost hanging around my lawn until 9am so I threw a 25 watt lightbulb in a droplight and stashed in the motor compartment. It was pretty interesting, even though there was already a little frost starting to develop on the cover (it was almost midnight), it felt pretty warm inside the motor compartment, maybe 50 degrees? So, I think I am over reacting but I will be out of the town and the boat will be outside for the next two weeks so I just figured it's better safe than sorry. It's a cheap insurance policy.
Old     (jeffreyala)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-08-2005, 5:22 PM Reply   
Why not just drain the block to be safe. Doing my Wakesetter DD takes 5 minutes. 2 plugs and the quick disconnect on the back. Is the VLX that much harder?

It's been cold here in VA lately and expecting snow and sleet tonight. ;(

Can't wait till spring already!!!!
Old     (smokedog2)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-08-2005, 7:05 PM Reply   
lol texas and freeze. 5" of snow here and COLD!

SD2

P.S. I would not worry a bit. Inside, in the boat, in the block and dirty water takes lower temps to freeze.

do above, take a pan of water and place in boat, if it never freezes you know you are fine. (You will sleep better)

SD2
Old    sl4ppy            12-09-2005, 1:28 AM Reply   
Well, I got over there and drained the manifold, the water pump, and one or two other hoses that had water in em. The thermostat I think... (using the Indmar manual as a guide.) LoL i basically traced every hose and if it might have water in it, i disconnected it and drained it. (no, not the oil pump lines or the fuel lines)

However, I couldn't find anything that might actually drain water off the block though. No hoses, no drain bolts, nothing.. So I hope I got everything OK.

Fwiw, it got down to 12 degrees last night and a high in the 20s today, so I really hope I got em all. :/

(Message edited by sl4ppy on December 09, 2005)

(Message edited by sl4ppy on December 09, 2005)
Old     (mitchm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-09-2005, 6:08 AM Reply   
Don't forget your heater and/or ballast, if equipped.