Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-08-2005, 10:27 AM Reply   
alright here are the pics of the Session 22si with a 315hp yanmar Diesel. Keep in mind that this boat didn't have any ballast in it, and it is not the production model of the boat. It was a sweet ride, smooth, tons of power, no puffs of smoke, no exhaust fumes (coudn't even smell the exhaust) The only problem with the diesel is it has about a 3 1/2 second lag before the superchargers kick in, then it really picks up. I really didn't think that the 3 1/2 seconds were negligable while wakeboarding though.

Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-08-2005, 10:42 AM Reply   
Thats a deep boat.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-08-2005, 1:13 PM Reply   
that wake looks pretty massive for not being ballasted.
Old     (jeffreyala)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-08-2005, 5:12 PM Reply   
Very Cool!!!!!!
Old    mendo247            12-08-2005, 5:18 PM Reply   
thats tight!
Old    low_key_wake            12-08-2005, 5:36 PM Reply   
not to start an argument, but superchargers give an imediate application of power, form idle to red line, being run off the crankshaft and all. Is it supercharged, or turbocharged? Not to be a dick.
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-08-2005, 5:40 PM Reply   
I would say it is a turbo as most diesel engines are.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-08-2005, 6:44 PM Reply   
yeah i've never seen a supercharged diesel, also superchargers build linear boost so there is no lag
Old     (retrofridge)      Join Date: May 2005       12-08-2005, 7:33 PM Reply   
This motor has a turbo check it out.

http://www.yanmarmarine.com/products/product_lp.php
Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-08-2005, 8:46 PM Reply   
sorry I meant turbos, Low key your right.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-09-2005, 8:40 AM Reply   
Cody did they change the hull or deck of the Si this year? That one looks a lot deaper then mine, maybe just the picture, or the fact I only look at mine from inside the boat not from a chase boat or beach.
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-09-2005, 8:56 AM Reply   
Why diesel? I don't know where you guys are from, but diesel fuel is 60-70 cents higher per gallon. Is the diesel engine going to save you more because of the torque, I don't think it's going to save you 60-70 cents per gallon.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-09-2005, 9:00 AM Reply   
why diesel?
Cause you will get much better GPH and much more low end power...
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-09-2005, 9:01 AM Reply   
oh yeah and the engine will last much longer...
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-09-2005, 9:07 AM Reply   
But your paying a lot more for the diesel fuel? Will the end justify the means?
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-09-2005, 9:07 AM Reply   
But your paying a lot more for the diesel fuel? Will the end justify the means?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-09-2005, 9:37 AM Reply   
Diesel engines spin at about half the RPMs of gas engines, less spinning means less wear, longer lasting engine fewer repair dollars.

Diesel engines have higher fuel efficiency than gas engines due to high compressions ratios – thermodynamic Carnot cycle. The compression ratio on gas engines has been lowered to meet emissions standards. Diesel fuel is thicker than gas, why does that mater, well it turns out that the energy density is higher for diesel than gas, more BTUs per ounce. Is diesel a better economic value by the gallon – IMO yes. Is diesel a better economic value by engine and maintenance cost – IMO yes but only in the long run.

One problem with diesel is refueling. If you pull your boat out of the water every day and drive by a diesel fuel pump no problem. If you keep your boat in the water (up on a lift) more than a few days on an inland lake you may not be able to easily refuel since most inland lake marinas do not carry diesel.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-09-2005, 9:49 AM Reply   
.60-.70 cents more per gallon??? Where do you buy you diesel fuel at.. Its only .20 cents more per gallon here in so cal.
Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-09-2005, 10:11 AM Reply   
Jeff, I'm not sure if they changed the hull. Maybe retro fridge can chime in on that one. I'm pretty sure they didn't change the deck, they moved the stereo, added some more ballast, and changed the graphics.

Ryan, Diesel here is about .30 cents more. But on a watercraft you can get away using red diesel, which is cheaper than regular gas here
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-09-2005, 11:38 AM Reply   
Yes I think the Diesel cost justifies the extra money pretty quick. I get about 1.5-1.75 times better gas economy on my truck and you are only looking at about a price of about 1.2 times more per gallon. The Diesel engine is also more expensive, but you can do the math on your use and find out when your investment pays off. Yes it is more of a long term return. Also much better resale..
Diesel here is still about $.70 higher than unleaded. In some instances $.80 and it still pays off in my opinion.... I could see it big time in a boat...
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-09-2005, 12:59 PM Reply   
Cody, have you looked into running biodiesel in that boat? If you don't mind getting dirty you could make your own fuel for about $.70 to $1.00 a gallon. Have you loaded that boat up with ballast or people yet?
Old    low_key_wake            12-09-2005, 2:25 PM Reply   
some larger diesels(kenworth etc...) have used both turbos and superchargers. Many of the first large diesels used both as well, its possible.
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       12-09-2005, 2:26 PM Reply   
What about the extra engine noise? I wouldn't want a diesel. It would guess the extra cost would even out after about 4000hours on your boat. If I want more low end power I'll get a bigger gas engine or change the prop.
Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-09-2005, 9:34 PM Reply   
johnathan, This boat was probably the quietest smoothest boat I have ever been on
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-09-2005, 10:59 PM Reply   
Cody, what length rope and speed were you riding at. Also, any idea on the price of this boat?
Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-10-2005, 7:57 AM Reply   
Darren,
haven't personally looked into bio-diesel, but that would be a good idea. unfortunately I haven't ridden it sacked out with people or ballast... I hope to sometime.
Leo, I was 75 feet at 22 even I beleive, may have been 22.5 though. I'm not sure on the price though.
Old    low_key_wake            12-10-2005, 10:47 AM Reply   
a properly built and maintained diesel wont be any louder than a preped big block screaming at 4500 rpm. seriously, a diesel cruising at like 2000 grand will be fairly quiet.
Old    bullet_tower            12-10-2005, 5:18 PM Reply   
I have ridin bihind this boat. We tried to over weight it to the point where it would not plane out, 4800 pounds of ballast and 6 people later and it tore out of the hole once the turbo spooled up and the wake was still solid! huge and solid! Also i have an 2004 SI with the 6.2 merc and we drag raced across the lake I was able to beat it out of the hole by a boat length then the desiel stormed past me by a length and a half until both boats topped out then the 6.2 caught up. The 6.2 runs wide open about 45 and the desiel runs 43 or so. It is a bad Ass engine option for sure! Very quite, and the midrange power is amazing!I hope to get out bihind the boat after it warms up again.
Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-12-2005, 8:57 PM Reply   
So I am pretty stoked to see this boat hit the market... I don't know how well the public will react to the extra cost of the diesel, but when you really analyze it and demo it, it seems like a pretty good choice.
Old     (waketac)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-13-2005, 7:48 AM Reply   
I'm really looking forward to this boot.
In case you didn't know, there's wakeboarding in Europe to.
Over here diesel is about 80% to 85% to gasoline. Taking in account, that the consumption of a diesel engine is lower, that fuel is much more expensive over here than in the US and that you can get diesel at every water gas station, means that the european market is really looking forward to a diesel powered wakeboardboat.
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-13-2005, 11:15 AM Reply   
So, with a less than 1% market share: I hope this doesn't mean replacing a gas pump at the already crowded marina with a diesel pump.
I'm sorry, I just have no interest in an application where the fuel is more expensive and not reaily available. Not to mention that diesel engines that are not maintained properly are huge particulate machines.
A better alternative is needed.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-13-2005, 12:25 PM Reply   
i'm down with diesels! we need 'em asap!!!
Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-13-2005, 12:37 PM Reply   
wakemark... That is what the Diesels are initially marketed for. From what I understand,This first year, Session is pushing them pretty hard over seas, and won't be doing much here. They will be available but won't start pushing them for another year or two until you guys start ranting and raving over your diesel wakeboats
Old     (nauty_tique)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-14-2005, 7:25 AM Reply   
Someone mentioned above already, but not much was said about it, you can run off road diesel(red) in it and cut down on price a ton, I don't know about everyone else but fuel pumps at the marina are the least of my worries, we already bring cans of gas to the lake since the boat stays there on the lift, the price diff. from a gas station to marina gas prices is terrible.
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-14-2005, 11:18 AM Reply   
How about the exhaust smell? most diesel vehicles stink and smoke. Hows this one compare?
Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-14-2005, 7:28 PM Reply   
like i said in my 1st post "It was a sweet ride, smooth, tons of power, no puffs of smoke, no exhaust fumes (coudn't even smell the exhaust)"
This was better than a gasoline engine in that sense
Old    ilovetrains            12-19-2005, 1:31 PM Reply   
there are some people on here have some bad preconceived notions about diesel power.

First of, modern diesel engines have no more particulate emisions than gasoline powerplants under most conditions.
Second, modern diesel engines, while emittign s different soudn that a gas powed engine, are not any louder and many are in fact quiter.
Third, diesel engines of simlar displacment will burn 25-75% less fuel for work produced than a comparable gasloine powerplant.

Additionally keep in mind that while you might expect to see a price premium for a diesel engine in a boat, it may not be any more than going with a higher hp gas engine. Diesel in boats just makes sense.

Oh yeah - if you do run biodiesel, it will stink like a McDonalds.
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       12-19-2005, 3:53 PM Reply   
Matthew, I do have some preconceived notions about diesel engines. I was assuming that the diesel engines that would run in these boats would be similar to that of todays trucks. Just as is the case with the gasoline engines in todays boats. If you compare the two, the diesels definitely emit a different and louder sound than the gas engines. They also stink (I only wish they smelled as good as a Mcdonalds). That is a fact. They also do burn less gas to do the same work and have great torque at low rpms.

I guess I don't know the specifics on this particular diesel so this one could be quieter than gas and have extremely low emissions. Let's not try to confuse that with the norm though, cause even you know it isn't.
My final impression, probably a great motor but the availability of diesel and price would make this an unattractive option for me. But then again, who am I to put a price on the prestige of owning a Yanmar?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-19-2005, 4:03 PM Reply   
If the smell is what you don't like. Run biodiesel. It's made from used kitchen grease. Then you're exhaust will smell like a resteraunt!!!!
Old    low_key_wake            12-19-2005, 6:17 PM Reply   
wasent it a big deal when the duramax came out that it was so quiet?
Old    ilovetrains            12-19-2005, 6:28 PM Reply   
Jonathan - are you comparing the diesel engines in large trucks, Kenworth etc? Obviously that is apples and oranges. even if you are referring to diesels in todays HD pickups, you can take my 2005 Cummins powered Dodge for example. There is simply not a gas engine on the market is comparable. The closest would be the now discontinued 8.0 V10. Put my truck bone stock next to a stock V10 and while the two will have charesterically different sounds, the diesel is actually quiter as measured in decibels. Inside th cab all you here is the turbo, not the exhaust note.

Diesels are used in mnay luxury yacht applications, if noise were a concern they certainly would not be used in that application. The world off shore speed record is currently held by a diesel powered boat.

Yanmar is one of the best brands of diesel out there, they are used in many marine application in addition to your local John Deere tractor.

Much of what you believe about diesel engines has changed only in the past years. Only for 2007 are all engines to comply with ULSD (ultra low sulphur diesel) regulations. Many of the diesels on the market today comply already.

That is compounded by the fact that SEMA estimates that between 45-50% of privately owned diesel vehicles are modified. Most of the people I know are running straight pipes and computer upgrades that create in excess of 500 hp and 1000ft/lb of torque. In those extreme examples their trucks will smoke like 1957 Pete.

Go test drive a Volkswagon TDI. You will want to buy it, but you may have to wait in line.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-19-2005, 8:18 PM Reply   
Agreed Matthew, I have stayed out of this post so far.. you have pretty much summed it up. Optional diesel engines in wakeboard boats would be nothing but beneficial to the industry.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-19-2005, 9:30 PM Reply   
" straight pipes and computer upgrades that create in excess of 500 hp and 1000ft/lb of torque."

more ballest bigger wake. bring on the mods
Old     (22parksm)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-21-2005, 3:11 PM Reply   
Hey,

I'm from Belguium and let me tell you this from Europe.
Gas prices in Belgium are the following
Unleaded 95: 1.25 euro/liter (5.63 dollar/gallon)
Diesel: 0.88 euro/liter (3.96 dollar/gallon)
LPG: 0.43 euro/liter (1.94 dollar/gallon)
Diesel RED: 0.4 euro/liter (1.8 dollar/gallon)

This is almost the same for other country's in Europe.

I have A mastercraft X-2 with LPG installation this is good but not verry good for your engine.
And the installation cost about 3775 dollars with 2 gas tanks. In my wakeboard school I earn this monny back in 1 year so that won't be that bad.
If I want A diesel i can get red Diesel. so it wouth be a little bit cheaper than lpg. The bad part is that tha same boat with a diesel engine cost about 12000 dollar more than a gasoline engine. But that engine can do 5000 - 6000 hours.
I do about 250 hours a year.
If I want to sell the boat after 4-5 year I will get a buyer for that boat 10 times easier than with a gasoline engine.
And we can get red diesel in the marina so I don't have to get the gasoline in jerry cans.

Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-21-2005, 4:24 PM Reply   
Matthew Hogan,
While I agree that a properly maintained diesel emits a fairly clean exhaust, an improperly maintained diesel emits a terrible amount of particulates. Directly in front of the boarder.
Also, Gasoline sitting aroung for 4-6 monthes must be stabilized with Sta-bil or a like product. Diesel fuel is much thicker and would provide a much higher level of maintenance to keep it from gumming up the fuel system.
While I agree that an alternative is needed for ALL gasoline engines, I don't believe this application fits skiing/wake boarding boats.
Old     (djhuff)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-22-2005, 5:02 AM Reply   
I just want to point out an error in some of the posts above.

Biodiesel will not smell like McD's, it is made from soy beans, and most of what you can buy is is only 20% biodiesel and 80% dino diesel. You can also find this at some gas stations, and it requires no modification to the engine.

What will make the engine smell like McD's (actually I've heard it smells more like popcorn) is greasel. THis requires two tanks, one for regular diesel to get the engine up to temperature, and another for the grease.
Old    ilovetrains            12-22-2005, 7:39 AM Reply   
Bruce, with todays electronics a poorly maintained diesel does not run. The electronic package on todays diesels is far more elaborate than on a similar gas engine, despite the fact that the engine itself is far simpler than gas engines.

Matt - you make a good point, I was a little tongue in cheek about it smelling like a fast food restaurant. Many people make their own biodiesel using recycled cooking oil. At mixes of 10-20% gelling is not a problem unless you are somewhere cold. Going above that level requires a heated fuel tank.
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-22-2005, 11:13 AM Reply   
We rode a 100+ passenger boat just off Maui to Molokini, it totally smelled like french fries. They were running on 100% grease from local restaraunts.