Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through May 13, 2004

Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-07-2004, 11:42 AM Reply   
My dealer (Chessie in Elkton, MD) is quoting me 5.99% for a new boat. Is this a good rate? Chevy Chase bank (my local bank) is a few points higher. Is there another place I should check that would be able to beat the 5.99%? I also would want one that doesn't load the interest up front or give any penalty for paying off the loan early.

Thanks!
Old     (ccraftskierfan)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-07-2004, 12:27 PM Reply   
I've been searching myself and haven't found rates lower than that (actually I was quoted 6.49% as the lowest rate). I'll be watching the replies.
As someone who is not very familar with this whole process, I can offer one piece of advice I discovered. Be careful of applying for too many finance companies. Multiple applications can affect your credit rating.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-07-2004, 1:02 PM Reply   
Try this one. http://www.boatfinance.com/dsp_rates.cfm
Old     (joeysprague)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-07-2004, 1:02 PM Reply   
if you own your house, look at taking out a HELOC (Home Equity Line of Credit) to consolidate debt. Through the bank i work at, if your crdit is good you're looking at 3.75% to 4%, usually prime plus zero or even prime minus .25 in some cases. However, it's an adjustable rate of course but i don't think you're goona see rates shoot up by 2+ percentage points anytime soon. If they do in the next year or so, just refi somewhere else if the rate gets too high. my 2cents anyway.
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-07-2004, 1:10 PM Reply   
boatfinance.com has 6.5% for 25 - 40K and 5.75% for 40 - 75K. My boat will be right on the border there.

At least its nice to be confirmed that i'm not getting killed with a really high rate. I had read that some car dealers will push up the rate and keep the difference for themselves so became a little wary there too.

I haven't been in my own place long enough to get a home equity loan. I'd also prefer not to mess around with my place at all. A little too risky for me...
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-07-2004, 1:22 PM Reply   
Bank of the West my rate is 6.25%
Old    ag4ever            04-07-2004, 1:48 PM Reply   
Something to keep in mind:

I had a car that I got a better finance rate through the bank than the dealer. The difference was maybee 1%, so I thought it was better to just use my bank.

A year latter the engine had a problem, and the dealer refused to fix it under warranty. I hired a lawyer, and prceeded to fight them on it.

Now the fun part, if I had procured the financing trhough the dealer, regardless if the dealer had actually done the financing or not, I could have stopped making payments on the car after sending the letter of revocation (revoking acceptanceof the goods sold). The dealer then could not report my as being in default on the loan, as I legaly did not own the vehicle anymore.

Since I procured the financing through my own channels, it was considered a cash purchase, and the dealer has no strings attached to the financing. If I had stopped making payments my bank could report the loan as a default, and ruin my credit.

I was required to keep making payments on a car that had no engine, and the dealer did not have any punishment for not accepting the revocation letter, since they had 100% of their money.

In the end, I filed a lawsuite against the mfg and the dealer, and they settled with me for a fair amount in mediation, but the lesson learned is:

When buying a major item, always have it financed through the entity selling it to you.

If paying cash, I would even think about putting the cash into an account, and financing it for 12 months, just to be sure the thing won't have any major problems before giving them 100% of the money.
Old    tommyadrian5            04-07-2004, 2:03 PM Reply   
Good points robert, I had never thought of it that way.
Old     (jrudd)      Join Date: May 2002       04-07-2004, 2:10 PM Reply   
Robert,

I am not sure thats true. The dealer is just the middle man between (lets say) you and Bank of America. I don't think they would be responsible. Do you have some way of proving what you said?
Old     (dfred)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-07-2004, 2:39 PM Reply   
I got 5.75% from Bank of America last month. They are advertising 5.99%, with no fees and they take care of all the titleing for free if you purchase from an individual, as their best but lowered it b/c of good credit. Key Bank was a little lower 5.65%, but they had about $400 in fees that made it a wash with BofA.
Old    boeing_driver            04-07-2004, 3:30 PM Reply   
I just financed through USAA at 5.85% for a new boat. My dealer referred me to BofA and there rate was 6.25%. 5.99 sounds very competitive.
Old    simon333box            04-07-2004, 4:49 PM Reply   
HI ALL,
I AM A LOAN OFFICER WHO WORKS IN CALIFORNIA ONLY DOING HOME LOANS. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED PLEASE EMAIL ME AT SIMONS333BOX@HOTMAIL.COM WE DO ALL TYPES OF LOANS HELOCS,SECONDS, AND PMI REMOVAL. LET ME KNOW THANKS
Old     (suckbuthavefun)      Join Date: May 2003       04-07-2004, 4:52 PM Reply   
If you have a local boat show, check there. We got our boat through the boat show and they had a credit union doing all the loans. We got 4.9%.
Old     (zacky)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-07-2004, 5:35 PM Reply   
eboatloans.com has their current rates at 5.5% for anything financed between $25,000-$74,000...
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-07-2004, 7:11 PM Reply   
check your local credit union. last Aug i got a 5 year note on my 9 yr old Impala SS at 3.65%. nobody else was even close.
Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-07-2004, 7:54 PM Reply   
Do not refinance your home equity to purchase a boat or pay off your credit cards. Since credit card debt is unsecured they cannot come after your home or any other possesions. Home equity is secured, meaning the bank can and will foreclose on you house if you don't make payments. I'm not advocating skipping payments but understanding the penalties is important.

If for any reason you need to walk away, as Robert (ag4ever) suggested, better to have the leverage. As for pre-payment penalties, most loans don't have them, just be sure to ask.
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-07-2004, 8:48 PM Reply   
Just got Bank of West at 5.5%
Old     (mujibur)      Join Date: May 2002       04-07-2004, 10:09 PM Reply   
key bank had 4.9 for 15 years a few months back if u did direct deposit & opened a 50.00 checking account - no fees.
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-07-2004, 10:27 PM Reply   
Home Equity loans are great for consolidating debt. In many cases an individual can get a lower interest rate, lower overall monthly debt and deduct the interest.
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-08-2004, 7:56 AM Reply   
Hello everyone.
I'm a mortgage broker in Florida. If anyone is interested in taking out a heloc (home equity line of credit) or a cash-out refinance to purchase a new boat I would be glad to help.
E-mail me at cinder1995@hotmail.com.
Thanks
Old    ag4ever            04-08-2004, 8:09 AM Reply   
I don't have paperwork to prove what I posted, but I could not do it either since I secured the loan myself.

I am not a lawyer, but I am just restating what my lawyer told me during the battle. She is Board Certified in Consmuer Law. I trust what she said, and she also said it works for furniture, etc... Before envoking that right, I would check with an attorney first though, as credit damage is hard to fix.

Also that law may be different in each state. luckily, Texas is pro consumer.

I also agree that Home equity loans can be good if used properly, but I feel it makes it too easy for people to think they can supplement their income with it, and get in big trouble.