Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (corbin)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-10-2009, 5:30 PM Reply   
What are you all using on your teak decks? I've got some teak oil but it seems I have to put it on after every outing.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-10-2009, 5:40 PM Reply   
your deck is already damaged and your oiling white wood.You need to sand past the bleached wood down to the good teak and then oil.
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       09-10-2009, 6:31 PM Reply   
yeah, power wash it good and use a hand sander to get down to good wood. Sikkens is a great product. Used to use Decksolje but it took like 6-7 coats. Sikkens takes 1 good thick coat. it is a sealer. I have not had to redo it yet...well, I guess I could, but I'm not due to laziness. initial cost is more, but I think I'll get about 5-7 decks out of 1 can vs. 2-3 out of the other.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-10-2009, 7:29 PM Reply   
If you just keep re-oiling without cleaning, it does become a slimy mess.

I've had better results using a power washer or bronze wool about twice a year rather than sandpaper as the paper clogs and the wood becomes almost too slick. A wire brush before the bronze wool really deep cleans and opens up the grain.
The swim step is not intended to be furniture slick, and the beauty of a Teak step cannot be matched by a rubber coated piece of fiberglass!
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-11-2009, 1:58 AM Reply   
Replace with a fiberglass one...
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       09-11-2009, 7:11 AM Reply   
When it's real bad I use a stiff bristled brush (not wire brush), then sand, then brush and blow with compressed air to unclog the sawdust, then teak oil until it won't soak up anymore. I'll put another quick coat every couple weeks.

If you seal it after oiling it'll last a lot longer before needing attention (likely several seasons). The platform will be slick though, so be careful not to slip. Also when it does need attention it will need a heavier sanding to get down to bare wood.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-11-2009, 7:45 AM Reply   
I'm not a fan of oil and have used teak guard which does hold up better than teak oils, but if you want a perfect looking platform you will still have to re-apply and may still have do some scrubbing with wire or sanding, but less often than with oil.

http://www.myboatstore.com/teakguard.asp?source=goog&kw=teak+guard&gclid=CO7a g57i6ZwCFVVj2god6RDmkQ

Some people rhino line theirs if you want to be completely done with it. I'm thinking about heading in that direction. The teak is just a pain to keep looking nice.