Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 05, 2004

Old    murrayair            03-30-2004, 1:00 PM Reply   
So today's(tuesday) poll question got me wondering how much top pros like Darin, Parks or Shaun make. It seems like wakeboarding isnt popular enough to pay a huge amount of money, but they obviously make enough to live it up. Any one know how much they get per year?
Old    bross            03-30-2004, 1:51 PM Reply   
When Shaun came through our town on the Backyard Tour last year, I asked him about his paycheck from Activision and his video game. He said they hooked him up preety good, but if the game sells well then he gets paid good six figures. You could do the math and figure out how much he makes at his school. Also, when I talked to Mike at Session Boats, he said that they were able to sign the entire Cassette Wakeskate team for the same price as one of the top five riders. On a side note, Thomas Horell said he signed with Session Boats because of the boat and the willingness of the MFG to meet their needs and wants. Peace
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-30-2004, 5:12 PM Reply   
they make enough money to buy houses on lakes, so that would be good enough for me
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-30-2004, 5:40 PM Reply   
most of them don't need the money anyway so it doesn't really matter
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-30-2004, 5:49 PM Reply   
it will one day when they arent able to ride competitively anymore though
Old     (nashjeffries)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-30-2004, 6:43 PM Reply   
when i was getting waterski magazine i think it said something about darin making 300,000, it was a little while ago, i may be mistaken
Old    allterr1            03-30-2004, 6:44 PM Reply   
Then they start schools and teach....
Old    lachlantait            03-31-2004, 3:20 AM Reply   
dallas friday on her 2nd year was making high 6 figures. take a stab
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-31-2004, 5:35 AM Reply   
Lachlan tait - so you're telling me that Dallas was/is making upwards of $800,000 a year? I don't think I believe that number. Nothing against you or your source, that just seems waaay too high. Then again, I could be wrong...
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-31-2004, 5:35 AM Reply   
I think this information should be privy to the individual. If somebody were to ask you, would you answer? I wouldn't, it's nobody's business.

Chris

Get the Grip you Deserve
www.wakejunky.com
Old    murrayair            03-31-2004, 12:54 PM Reply   
Wakejunky- so its wrong to be curious?
Old    cgbaker10            03-31-2004, 12:56 PM Reply   
the fame is better than the money to me...getting ladies all day everyday...but they still get $jack$ coming out the ass from just being famous
Old    blind5            03-31-2004, 5:28 PM Reply   
Well the big pros (Shaun Murray, Darin Shapiro) are getting paid a nice little 6 figure number, the other pros (Andrew Adkinson, Chad Sharpe) are making enough to pay for rent and bills plus a little.
Old     (bigjessup)      Join Date: May 2002       03-31-2004, 5:50 PM Reply   
It also comes down to how many contest they win. In Shane's interview in WBM he talks about how Harf and Watson are sitting nicely due to how often they are on the podium.
Old    murrayair            03-31-2004, 6:03 PM Reply   
Shawn, nice to see I'm not the only person here in Placerville that wakeboards.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-01-2004, 6:43 AM Reply   
In Shane's next interview he will probably say how lame it is that we're discussing their income.
Old    bambamski            04-01-2004, 8:04 AM Reply   
I would bet there are only 10-20 pro boarders that make over 100k a year. It's a pretty small market and no way is anybody making 800k per year doing this.

Do some simple math on it. Take Hyperlite for example, boards bindings and accessories lets say the sell 25,000 items (probably high). Average selling price is around $200 (what they sell to the retailer for). Materials and labour run what $100 bucks? That only leaves $100 or so bucks per item for profit. $2,500,0000.00 for Hyperlite. Then they have to pay advertising, taxes, building rent, board reps, insurance, my dealer once told me that to build a mold is $50,000 as well. Hyperlite has how many team riders? 10 or so? Those numbers tell me not to quit my day job. Unless you are in the top 5 or so boarders and have your own board you probably don't make squat.

Not that it's a bad thing, you probably get a boat, you board for 300 days out of the year and you get to travel the country. It's a pretty decent lifeslyle and would be a ton of fun for the young person coming up. I'm thinking Murray quit the tour because there really isn't any money in it and running your own school would be way more profitable.

What do you think
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-01-2004, 8:08 AM Reply   
I agree they could probably make a lot more money running their own school. I mean Darin Shapiro charges $400 a day for a lesson or like 2,000 + for 5 days. That's a lot of money if he does it week to week and has a lot of riders.