Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (edogg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-22-2007, 10:24 AM Reply   
Anyone had success producing a good wake behind a calabria cal air.
I have an 02 calabria cal air direct drive 20 ft.
It has a stock gravity ballast system that runs aprox 350 lbs up each side of the boat for 700 lbs total. I have added a 750 lb sac in the very back ski locker. Then I added a 370 lb sac in the bow. Seems like I have to go like 26 mph or faster just for the wake to clean up when its all weighted down. Its about 1800 lbs and I am thinking maybe Its too much. I want to be able to ride around 22-23 and have a clean wake. Let me know if you have produced a nice wake from one of these boats and how. Thanks
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-22-2007, 10:55 AM Reply   
More weight in the middle on Calabria's Put a sac on each side of the engine compartment.
Old     (edogg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-22-2007, 2:19 PM Reply   
Hey thanks for the advice. Are you saying just the factory ballast and then sacs around the engine? that the sac in the locker and bow are not helping? Oh and how much weight would you say around the engine.
Thanks alot i really appreciate it!
Eric
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-22-2007, 6:35 PM Reply   
You can weight it two ways. 350# sac up front and behind the engine with factory ballast.
Or a 350# sac on each side of the engine with factory ballast. This would be a better set up, not so apt to take water over the bow this way.
Check your cavitation plate with a two foot level. Place the level under the boat and cavitation plate. Adjust the plate down so there is a 1/4" gap between the level and the fiberglass part of the boat where all the screws are that hold the cavitation plate on. Most boats you would adjust this plate up allowing the back of the boat to sink but not on Calabria's. Try that if the wake is still washing out at 22-23 then let water out of your fat sacs untill it cleans up.
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       07-22-2007, 6:50 PM Reply   
Hijack- hey Phaeton, I have a Calabria Pro-V 06'.
Today was first time out w/ sacs & felt like I spent most of the time adjusting & moving sacs around than ridin'.I was running stock ballst-700lbs., 450lb sac in bow walkway, 2- 85 lb. on rear seat w/ 1 rider, 2 peeps in boat.Also have about 500 lbs. in batteries in rear compartments.
Wake didn't seem much bigger w/ adding sacs.Had to go about 22.5-23 to clean it up & seemed to lose the wake size. Do I need more weight somewhere else? Any help would be appreciated.
Sorry Eric for Hijack.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-22-2007, 8:08 PM Reply   
Shawn - You aren't weighted a whole lot differently than we are and we get a much bigger wake than stock. We do have to run 22-23 to clean it up at 70', but that speed seems fine.

Setup: Stock Tanks, 280 in each locker, 520 in pass-through with the front of the bag about 16 inches from the bow stop. Plate setup as described by Phaeton.

This seems to work pretty good...when a rider wants to go slower we dump the tanks and run 20-21. We can also usually get a good surf wave on either side with this setup by filling either tank and moving a few people.

The next experiment will be a couple hundred pounds under the benches on each side.

Sorry to continue the hijack...but there aren't many Calabria setup threads around here. Should us Pro-V's start our own?
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-22-2007, 8:11 PM Reply   
Shawn,
Sounds like you have too much weight up front. Unlike most boats the Pro V is a cab forward design, so when you put sacks in the bow walkway it is really forward in the boat. Make sure the wake plate is adjusted as Pheaton suggests. And 700# in the lockers and 500-700# between driver and observer. Pro V likes even weight. More bias in then back if anywhere. Reprop if you run weight all the time. Speed is about right with extra weight, 22.5-24mph.
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       07-22-2007, 8:21 PM Reply   
Thank-you Nate & sydwayz. I'm still little confused about the plate thing. My plate is hydraulic operated & resets it self everytime you shut off the boat. I was messing around w/ it today though and noticed if I trimmed it all the way up the wake would shape alot better but bow of the boat was pointing @ the sky.
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-22-2007, 8:34 PM Reply   
shaun, talk to Doug "digger" w/the red Pro-v. he has played w/ weight for a while & may have it figured it out. No weight in the front, factory ballast, & 2 bags on each side of the engine. I dont know the size of the bags, but its some weight. some times enough to where the boat doesnt come up to plane. Talk to Doug, he has also played w/ the prop to compensate for the added weight.
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       07-22-2007, 8:41 PM Reply   
Hey Marc- yeh I keep getting mixed reviews. So this morning I was trying alot of different things. How much does the wake plate come into play when weighting the boat? I am already propped for added weight. Still holeshots very nicely.
Old     (edogg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-22-2007, 11:19 PM Reply   
Phaeton thanks. I saw some pics of the wake behind your old cal air in archives, looks like you had it dialed in. Wish I had a v drive but If I get this wake looking nice I can hold out for a while. Shawn no worries on the hijack man.
Thanks alot guys.